    185
    Anyone got the tutorial for etching?
    Some of us may use it when it comes in handy.

    Technoholic, Jun 28, 2005

  2. Technoholic

    zachig

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    113
    Re: Etching tutorials

    What do you mean by "etching"?
    The only etching process that I know is from the PCB industry, meaning chemical etching of copper in order to produce a Printed Circuit Board.
    If this is what you meant (and I guess NOT), I can help you with that.

    zachig, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Technoholic

    Technoholic

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    185
    Etching the plexi's.

    Technoholic, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Technoholic

    zachig

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    113
    Using a DREMEL, maybe? :roll:

    zachig, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Technoholic

    Bio-Hazard

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    188
    Location:
    Back Woods of MO
    I wish I was artistic enough to do something like that, I have to send my stuff out to be done.

    Bio-Hazard, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Technoholic

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    lol, art is what u think it is... not what others do :D, thats why people can make good art :D, others might not understand it but the artist does :D

    unholy, Jun 29, 2005
  7. Technoholic

    Technoholic

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    185
    I asked because I might try and get black case with green inside, or white case with green inside.
    That way, with the window Philly Eagles logo.

    Technoholic, Jun 30, 2005
  8. Technoholic

    Blazin Trav

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    29
    Blazin Trav, Jun 30, 2005
  9. Technoholic

    Technoholic

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    185
    :p
    We could use some direct links HERE for the noobs, alike me?

    Technoholic, Jun 30, 2005
  10. Technoholic

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
  11. Technoholic

    Technoholic

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    185
    Nevermind. >_<

    Technoholic, Jun 30, 2005
  12. Technoholic

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Etching is one of the things I do the most of. All my rigs have either hand etched windows or are clear cases that I've etched entirely. Here's some examples.
    Motherboard panel for a clear UV case I did
    [​IMG]
    Case lit up (showing left side panel etch, a bit blurry, sorry).
    [​IMG]
    Same view, no lighting, unfortunately the etches don't show up here much.
    [​IMG]
    Ok, that's just some examples, first thing, I don't use a dremel, those things are not the best for any of this kind of work (I don't even like to use them for cutting, their brushed motors blow way too much). I use an Optima rotary tool,
    [​IMG]
    Which is quite a bit more expensive than a Dremel (Around $350-400 USD) but worth the price, as you can see, it's designed better and it's easier on the hands. One thing I recommend is that you also use a vacuume chamber or pump of some sort. I got two of them from my foot doctor, he had 'em left over when he hooked up his whole office with a large pump system. They'll keep the plastic dust out of your eyes and lungs, it can be VERY dangerous. (It's also good for when you're doing metal work as well).
    As far as how you do it, well that's just something you have to practice at. I picked it up quickly because it's a lot like doing pyrography (woodburning) which I've been doing for a while now. It takes a steady hand and some drawing skills but if you have both of those it's just a matter of adapting to a new medium.
    Any specific questions?
    -Mike

    The Modfather, Sep 13, 2005
  13. Technoholic

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i was about to say... "pyrography" i thought u spet porno wrong... and then i though.. WTF has porn got to do with etching!!! but pyro means fire so a ok! :D
    i would like to know why dremels are so crappy... they suck for small cutting i know that... i just use a Jigsaw and Dremel... no etching here :(

    unholy, Sep 13, 2005
  14. Technoholic

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Hehe, Pyrography = Woodburning (my Pyrography site = http://www.thepyrographer.com).
    Dremels don't necessarally suck, but I wouldn't use one for precision work or for heavy cutting. They're fine for small jobs and stuff like that. For one, they used a brush motor, which tends to blow out frequently where as the tool I use is totally brushless and if it gets overheated or overtasked it just stops for a moment, you turn it off, wait 10 seconds, turn it back on and it's fine. Also, the Dremel maxes out at 35,000 RPM, which is fine for some things but slow for others. The Optima tops out at 45,000 rpm and can, if need be, be pushed to 60,000 rpm. Then there's the simple matter of comfort and control. Handling a big unweildy dremel for etching (or finer cutting) is a pain and if you've used the snake like attachment you know that if you bend it even a little bit it stops working. The Optima is self contained and only a little larger than a big magic marker, which makes it ideal for detail work. Holding it close to the tip isn't much different than handling a pen, though heavier. Also, there's a second tool you can use with it (It's another $200) that's even more slender and tapered and feels really nice working with.
    The tool is initially designed for woodworking but I had a long conversation with the guy who makes them, we went over all the details of what I wanted to use it for and we were able to determine that it'd do the job well and so far it has. Adding the vacuume hose (basically a plastic tube very much like you'd use for water cooling, maybe a tad thicker) does make it a little more difficult to hold but still not as bad as a dremel. Plus I don't think you could add the vacuume to the dremel and handle it well at all.
    -Mike

    The Modfather, Sep 14, 2005
  15. Technoholic

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    hehe yer.. but modders alike dont have 300 US for a dremel replacement :(

    unholy, Sep 15, 2005
  16. Technoholic

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Not all do, no, but if yer in the business of building modded rigs for people you wanna have decent tools. I'm hoping to one day be able to get a plasma cutter, that'd be nice to have. Then maybe a small welding unit. But really, $300 or so isn't a lot, consider that the better dremels cost around $100 or so, then add the cost of the snake (About $35) and then the cost to replace the brushes every few months, you'll be halfway there soon. If you're just doing one mod for your own use, yeah, no point in splurging then, sure. Also this ain't just a dremel replacement, it's also an etching and engraving tool and a woodworking tool. Yeah, a dremel could do those things, but not real well. Anywho, the point is, being able to do the etching, that's what yer asking about here, right? You can do it with a dremel, yeah. I've done it with a dremel until I got the Optima, in fact, half of the Titan was done using a dremel before I got the Optima. So it's certanly doable.

    The Modfather, Sep 15, 2005
  17. Technoholic

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    sweet.. i want to etch the sunbeam logo on my VCR mod.. u have to write a small tut :D

    unholy, Sep 16, 2005
  18. Technoholic

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Hmm, okay... I'll do that. I've done one before, shouldn't be difficult. If ya like it you can move it to the proper place. I'll post it as a new thread.

    The Modfather, Sep 16, 2005
  19. Technoholic

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    ok, i will make u a guest writer, and u can have a proper page :D thats if u want to.
    that goes for everyone too :D.. send me the pictures and all (small size and big for thumbnails) and i can make a Howto at velocityreviews for u :D, and give it some advertisement :D.

    unholy, Sep 16, 2005
  20. Technoholic

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Sounds cool... I'll do up a decent tut on working with clay, that usually gets people interested.

    The Modfather, Sep 17, 2005