Etc.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Apr 20, 2012.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    I bought a new Canon 7D in late February (effectively giving up on the
    possibility of an affordable 5D3 a few days before my doubts were confirmed),
    and it arrived with a piece of visible black goop buried somewhere in the
    viewfinder. So I left it for a warranty repair at Canon's Jamesburg NJ shop on
    my way home from visiting my daughter in Philadelphia this week. I dropped it
    off just after noon on Tuesday, and it was sitting on my desk chair when I
    arrived at work at 7:45 Thursday morning. So if you thought that that level of
    service was gone with the wind, well ... maybe not. (Full disclosure: I'm a
    CPS Silver member, but extra fast service isn't an advertised benefit at that
    lowly level.)

    One of the things we did in Philadelphia (besides ogling Betsy and Shep's new
    house) was take a trip out to Amish country, because my 6-year-old grandson is
    a dedicated fan of the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum, Yes, that's "Amish", with
    an "A", as in this month's Shoot-In. However, my wife got by far the better
    pictures (out the train window on the Strasburg RR), so she'll be in the SI
    this month even if I decide to sit it out. :^|

    One negative I discovered this morning was that the Canon shop set my camera
    back to factory settings. What saved me was that I had recorded all my
    autofocus microadjustments in a spreadsheet and could reset them without
    taking new test pictures. I recommend the practice. Too bad there's no way
    (that I know of) to easily capture and restore the rest of the settings.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 20, 2012

  2. Robert Coe

    RichA Guest

    On Apr 20, 6:19 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > I bought a new Canon 7D in late February (effectively giving up on the
    > possibility of an affordable 5D3 a few days before my doubts were confirmed),
    > and it arrived with a piece of visible black goop buried somewhere in the
    > viewfinder. So I left it for a warranty repair at Canon's Jamesburg NJ shop on
    > my way home from visiting my daughter in Philadelphia this week. I dropped it
    > off just after noon on Tuesday, and it was sitting on my desk chair when I
    > arrived at work at 7:45 Thursday morning. So if you thought that that level of
    > service was gone with the wind, well ... maybe not. (Full disclosure: I'ma
    > CPS Silver member, but extra fast service isn't an advertised benefit at that
    > lowly level.)
    >
    > One of the things we did in Philadelphia (besides ogling Betsy and Shep'snew
    > house) was take a trip out to Amish country, because my 6-year-old grandson is
    > a dedicated fan of the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum, Yes, that's "Amish",with
    > an "A", as in this month's Shoot-In. However, my wife got by far the better
    > pictures (out the train window on the Strasburg RR), so she'll be in the SI
    > this month even if I decide to sit it out.  :^|
    >
    > One negative I discovered this morning was that the Canon shop set my camera
    > back to factory settings. What saved me was that I had recorded all my
    > autofocus microadjustments in a spreadsheet and could reset them without
    > taking new test pictures. I recommend the practice. Too bad there's no way
    > (that I know of) to easily capture and restore the rest of the settings.
    >
    > Bob

    And people wonder why DSLR's are on the way out.

    RichA, Apr 21, 2012

  3. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 14:59:51 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    : On Apr 20, 6:19 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    : > I bought a new Canon 7D in late February (effectively giving up on the
    : > possibility of an affordable 5D3 a few days before my doubts were confirmed),
    : > and it arrived with a piece of visible black goop buried somewhere in the
    : > viewfinder. So I left it for a warranty repair at Canon's Jamesburg NJ shop on
    : > my way home from visiting my daughter in Philadelphia this week. I dropped it
    : > off just after noon on Tuesday, and it was sitting on my desk chair when I
    : > arrived at work at 7:45 Thursday morning. So if you thought that that level of
    : > service was gone with the wind, well ... maybe not. (Full disclosure: I'm a
    : > CPS Silver member, but extra fast service isn't an advertised benefit at that
    : > lowly level.)
    : >
[...]
    :
    : And people wonder why DSLR's are on the way out.

    Why isn't that a non sequitur? Is there any reason to suppose that mirrorless
    cameras won't require autofocus microadjustment? Or that dirt can't get into
    the optics of an electronic viewfinder?

    Is there anyone reading this who doubts that Nikon will sell a LARGE number of
    D800's? Or that Canon is scrambling to catch up, even as we speak? With all
    the times you've said it, I still don't know why you think DSLR's are on the
    way out. I guess I agree that they'll lose most of their market share to
    something else eventually, but not soon and not to their current competition.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 22, 2012
  4. Robert Coe

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 14:59:51 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    >: And people wonder why DSLR's are on the way out.
    >
    >Why isn't that a non sequitur? Is there any reason to suppose that mirrorless
    >cameras won't require autofocus microadjustment?

    Yes, there is *every reason* to suppose that, Bob!

    Mirrorless cameras use contrast detect AF which is performed on the
    sensor, at the focal plane. Provided the camera is given time to
    focus, there is no focusing error so no microadjustment is needed.

    The weakness of the contrast detect AF system is that it isn't as good
    at focus tracking as the phase detect AF systems used in all DSLRs
    plus the Sony Alpha SLTs. The technology is getting better but the
    best mirrorless AF systems still lag behind entry-level DSLRs at focus
    tracking. But for static or near-static subjects, contrast detect AF
    systems are now faster than phase detect AF systems as well as being
    consistently accurate. The Olympus E-M5 is claimed to have the
    world's fastest AF and all the most recent Olympus and Panasonic
    bodies are almost as quick.

    The Nikon 1 System goes a stage further with a dual AF system, both
    contrast detect *and* phase detect AF. But both are built in to the
    sensor, so there is no need for autofocus microadjustment.

    It addresses the weaknesses of previous AF systems used in non-SLR
    cameras and is a huge leap forward. Nikon holds a lot of patents
    related to this hybrid system and is unlikely to allow other camera
    manufacturers to use it for some time. But when it becomes widely
    available, it will be a game changer.

    Bruce, Apr 22, 2012
  5. Robert Coe <> writes:

    > On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 14:59:51 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    > : On Apr 20, 6:19 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > : > I bought a new Canon 7D in late February (effectively giving up on the
    > : > possibility of an affordable 5D3 a few days before my doubts were confirmed),
    > : > and it arrived with a piece of visible black goop buried somewhere in the
    > : > viewfinder. So I left it for a warranty repair at Canon's Jamesburg NJ shop on
    > : > my way home from visiting my daughter in Philadelphia this week. I dropped it
    > : > off just after noon on Tuesday, and it was sitting on my desk chair when I
    > : > arrived at work at 7:45 Thursday morning. So if you thought that that level of
    > : > service was gone with the wind, well ... maybe not. (Full disclosure: I'm a
    > : > CPS Silver member, but extra fast service isn't an advertised benefit at that
    > : > lowly level.)
    > : >
    > : > One of the things we did in Philadelphia (besides ogling Betsy and Shep's new
    > : > house) was take a trip out to Amish country, because my 6-year-old grandson is
    > : > a dedicated fan of the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum, Yes, that's "Amish", with
    > : > an "A", as in this month's Shoot-In. However, my wife got by far the better
    > : > pictures (out the train window on the Strasburg RR), so she'll be in the SI
    > : > this month even if I decide to sit it out.  :^|
    > : >
    > : > One negative I discovered this morning was that the Canon shop set my camera
    > : > back to factory settings. What saved me was that I had recorded all my
    > : > autofocus microadjustments in a spreadsheet and could reset them without
    > : > taking new test pictures. I recommend the practice. Too bad there's no way
    > : > (that I know of) to easily capture and restore the rest of the settings.
    > : >
    > : > Bob
    > :
    > : And people wonder why DSLR's are on the way out.
    >
    > Why isn't that a non sequitur? Is there any reason to suppose that mirrorless
    > cameras won't require autofocus microadjustment? Or that dirt can't get into
    > the optics of an electronic viewfinder?

    There's less indirection in the mirrorless focusing workflow, so it
    ought to be more reliable. (Yes, that's a *theory*. As you know, in
    theory, theory and practice are the same; in practrice, they differ.)

    Any issues in the lens itself will still remain of course.

    The electronic viewfinder can be more sealed, can't it? And at least
    the LCD on the back is easier to clean.

    > Is there anyone reading this who doubts that Nikon will sell a LARGE number of
    > D800's? Or that Canon is scrambling to catch up, even as we speak? With all
    > the times you've said it, I still don't know why you think DSLR's are on the
    > way out. I guess I agree that they'll lose most of their market share to
    > something else eventually, but not soon and not to their current competition.

    Clearly the D800 is a huge achievement and looks to be a huge seller.
    And yeah, I'm sure people at Canon are working overtime.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 23, 2012