Estimate IFInOctets on multilink interface

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by anti00@poczta.onet.pl, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. Guest

    HEllo,
    I have a multilink interface (index 50) contains two FR links (index 40
    and 41).

    I want to know what is a load of multilink. So I tryed to monitor
    ifInOctets related with multilink interface.

    I also monitored ifInOctets related with two FR links (index 40 and
    41).

    The sum of ifInOctets for two FR links (index 40 and 41) is greater
    then the ifInOctets on multilink interface.

    Why ? Did I miss something ?
    Here are the values
    first FR link - IF-MIB::ifInOctets.40 = Counter32: 707734249
    second FR link IF-MIB::ifInOctets.41 = Counter32: 707752478
    multilink - IF-MIB::ifInOctets.50 = Counter32: 1388116339

    anti00
    , Nov 22, 2005

  2. On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 02:39:14 -0800, anti0 wrote:

    > The sum of ifInOctets for two FR links (index 40 and 41) is greater then
    > the ifInOctets on multilink interface.
    >
    > Why ? Did I miss something ?

    That's because there are a few bytes, L2 encapsulation, and frames, LMI
    etc. that are sent received on the FR links that don't go through the
    multilink i/f, so the total rx/tx on the bundle members will be a little
    bit more than what the multilink interface sees.

    --
    Rgds,
    Martin
    Martin Gallagher, Dec 1, 2005