Establishing Bluetooth network connection with PDA

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by news.microsoft.com, Nov 22, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I'm using XP SP2, and I'll first say that I *DID* at one point get this to
    work, but now cannot...

    Hardware:
    -Palm Tungsten T3 with bluetooth
    -Ultra USB Bluetooth dongle

    Setup:
    -Followed manufacturer's "SP2" setup procedure to the letter, from their
    website
    -I Paired the devices properly WITHOUT any username or password (it worked
    this way).
    -I am able to synchronize my PDA with desktop using Bluetooth (mapped to
    COM5)
    -I'm trying to get internet access on the PDA (which I got to work once, but
    got screwed up after a reboot). I set my dial-up connection to allow other
    users to access it. I set up the Bluetooth Network TCP/IP for IP of
    192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and DNS the same IP (I believe this
    was correct from last time).
    -On PDA I set up the Bluetooth connection to use DNS of 192.168.0.1

    Now I constantly have a red X through my Bluetooth Network icon (says it's
    unplugged). I can connect from the PDA, at which point XP says I have
    connected to the dial-up networking. I believe this is wrong, as I think it
    should say it's connected the "Bluetooth Network" not the Dialup Network (as
    the bluetooth network would then make that connection on the PC). At this
    point, the PDA says "signing on..." and hangs until it times out.

    Back when I remember it working PROPERLY, the Bluetooth Network icon would
    light up and say "connected at 700kbps".

    Is there some sort of authentication getting hung up here? I searched high
    and low but could not find what to do.

    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    news.microsoft.com, Nov 22, 2004