Establishing a VPN connection to an at home employee

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Paul, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    We are considering adding an employee that would perform most of their work
    from home. I've been asked how secure of an access we can establish between
    them and our network.

    I have zero experience with this type of set-up. So I'm asking for the
    basics of what's involved, what's required that we don't already have and
    any "gotchas".

    We have:
    1720 VPN Router
    PIX 515

    Both at latest IOS.

    I assume we need VPN client(s), at least on the employees machine. Is that
    a Cisco product?

    Thanks in advance

    Paul
    Paul, Feb 12, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Paul <p_b_s_1at_a_t_t.net> wrote:
    :We are considering adding an employee that would perform most of their work
    :from home. I've been asked how secure of an access we can establish between
    :them and our network.

    :I have zero experience with this type of set-up. So I'm asking for the
    :basics of what's involved, what's required that we don't already have and
    :any "gotchas".

    :We have:
    : 1720 VPN Router
    : PIX 515

    : Both at latest IOS.

    Well, PIX doesn't run IOS, but we know what you mean. ;-)

    :I assume we need VPN client(s), at least on the employees machine. Is that
    :a Cisco product?

    Yes. You can download it from Cisco.com to get the latest version.
    A version of it was also in the box with the PIX 515, but that might
    be a bit old now.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/index.html
    --
    Sub-millibarn resolution bio-hyperdimensional plasmatic space
    polyimaging is just around the corner. -- Corry Lee Smith
    Walter Roberson, Feb 12, 2004

  3. Paul

    Kirk Goins Guest

    If you have PDM loaded on the PIX then it's pretty simple to setup for a
    client connection via the VPN Wizard.

    Kirk Goins, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Paul

    PBS Guest

    Add on: Establishing a VPN connection to an at home employee

    Does the at home employee have to have a fixed IP address for VPN to work?

    Thanks again
    Paul
    PBS, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Paul

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    Re: Add on: Establishing a VPN connection to an at home employee

    In article <80MWb.13$>, says...
    > Does the at home employee have to have a fixed IP address for VPN to work?

    No, just one endpoint have to be fix. Of course, it is not good if home
    employees address change during the connection. It will probably
    breakdown the connection.

    --
    Ivan
    Ivan Ostres, Feb 13, 2004