    drives into a RAID 1 array. I have no idea on how to do this. Can anyone
    help? Thank you.

    -Mike
    MMT, Feb 25, 2008

  2. First, you'll need either a motherboard with a on-board chip that can do the
    Raid'ing, or an expansioncard that will fit inside the notebook - then,
    three empty partitions of a combined size that is about twice the size of
    your prefered working user space.

    I have never used RAID just on partitions but on complete disks and this
    requires all the disk space to be un-partitioned (new disks!) - I don't know
    if you can do it starting from empty partitions, any way your hardware must
    accommodate for doing this.

    I suggest you sit down and type "raid technology" into your favorite search
    engine and have Internet serve up some week-end litterature for you.

    From your resources, you'll basically have a 60 GB RAID to work on, and I'm
    not sure that is what you want. You may investigate the possibility to have
    three external SATA drives and run it from that but it will probably draw a
    fair bit of current to do that. Personally, I don't think I'd bother!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 25, 2008

  3. Unfortunately, Microsoft client operating systems don't support RAID-1 as a
    software feature. They do support hardware RAID solutions, assuming the
    vendor provides a driver, but that won't help you with your laptop, which
    doesn't have a RAID controller in it.

    The best you can do is to use some sort of imaging software (such as
    Acronis), to periodically image the main drive onto the second.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 25, 2008
  4. MMT

    Theo Guest

    You need to do 2 things.
    1. Read you owners manual to see if it tells you whether
    you laptop supports a RAID configuration.
    2. Contact HP Tech Support to find out what software
    drivers you need for your laptop.

    Although you may want to run Vista in a RAID configuration,
    that's a hardware specific issue, not an operating system
    issue. Once a RAID is properly configure and you have the
    appropriate drivers, you install Vista just as you would on
    a single hard drive.

    Theo, Feb 25, 2008
  5. MMT

    Theo Guest

    A search of the HP for 'HDX +RAID' does not come up with
    anything, so your hardware may not support a RAID configuration.

    Contact Hewlett Packard Tech support for your hardware
    specific questions and issues.

    Theo, Feb 25, 2008