    firewall also blocks you from hackers, so what is full stealth mode.

    http://info-new.blogspot.com/2007/04/12-essential-security-tools-for-your.html
    , Apr 7, 2007

  2. wrote:

    > I read one article on 12 essential security tools for computer, which
    > has mentioned about Full Stealth Mode and Credit Card Monitoring
    > alerts.
    >
    > I would like to know; does this credit card alert and full stealth
    > mode really work? Anybody has any experience on these features.
    >
    > What is the difference between firewall and full stealth mode? As,
    > firewall also blocks you from hackers, so what is full stealth mode.

    Usually closed ports send a icmp reject if anyone from the evil net tries to
    access or scan them. The response is immediate and the counterpart can go
    on elsewhere. Of course, closed ports introduce no risk.
    Open ports (for which you as admin are responsible) will be found and
    attacked.
    A firewall is intended to separate two networks, when you cannot close your
    ports to the outside. It may protect against misconfiguration somehow as
    well, but that's not its main purpose.
    "Full stealth mode" means your firewall absorbs any "unsolicited" packages,
    even icmp (internet control message protocol) which is actually violating
    the standards, and may introduce long timeouts.
    In fact, a attacker will know how to differentiate "full stealth"
    from "isn't turned on" by just the absence of your upstream router's "icmp
    host_unreachable" messages, so it's just for the scriptkiddies.

    Do not know about "credit card monitoring alert" ... looks like some sort
    of "privacy protection" where you have to enter your number first, and the
    utility will monitor the data stream on http connections - maybe as a
    internal proxy.
    Question remains, if your computer gets hacked, the attacker may just have
    open access to your stored numbers ...
    Walter Mautner, Apr 7, 2007

  3. San Guest

    So, is it necessary to have full stealth mode in addition to firewall
    or only firewall is sufficient for interent security.
    San, Apr 7, 2007
  4. San wrote:

    > So, is it necessary to have full stealth mode in addition to firewall
    > or only firewall is sufficient for interent security.

    "Full stealth" is just a advertising hype. Even a "desktop firewall" is
    actually unnecessary, when all services are set or unset properly.
    However, a real hardware firewall (most NAT routers suffice) may give
    protection enough for windows during setup stage to prevent infections
    before you can even customize it.
    The 2nd thing a "desktop firewall" promises to achieve is prohibiting
    spyware or trojans from calling home. This may be true for some badly
    written programs of that sort, but the "better" ones just (ab)use standard
    IE hooks or similar, and slip through.
    Therefore, a "desktop firewall" gives false cosy feelings of security, when
    it occasionally barfs about harmless portscans, but does not address the
    real threats.
    You are better with a good antispyware solution, including a registry
    monitor, and doing all-day jobs as a non-admin user.
    Walter Mautner, Apr 7, 2007
  5. Guest

    , Apr 8, 2007