Especially for Woger? Karen?? AMD chips faster than Intel!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Seagull, Aug 24, 2004.

  1. Seagull

    Seagull Guest

    Seagull, Aug 24, 2004

  2. Seagull wrote:
    > see
    > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5322290.html

    Holy shit.

    "The 3800+ chip consumes 91 watts of power at idle, rising to 172 watts
    under a full load. That compares with 155 watts at idle and 258 watts
    under a full load for the Pentium 4 560."

    Which heater would you like to purchase?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 25, 2004

  3. Seagull

    colinco Guest

    In article Dave - Dave.net.nz says...
    > "The 3800+ chip consumes 91 watts of power at idle, rising to 172 watts
    > under a full load. That compares with 155 watts at idle and 258 watts
    > under a full load for the Pentium 4 560."
    >
    > Which heater would you like to purchase?

    Add 73 Watts from a Geforce Video card and you don't need a heater.
    colinco, Aug 25, 2004
  4. colinco wrote:
    >>"The 3800+ chip consumes 91 watts of power at idle, rising to 172 watts
    >>under a full load. That compares with 155 watts at idle and 258 watts
    >>under a full load for the Pentium 4 560."
    >>Which heater would you like to purchase?

    > Add 73 Watts from a Geforce Video card and you don't need a heater.

    me thinks I will be needing a new PSU when/if I upgrade.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 25, 2004
  5. In article <>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
    says...
    > Seagull wrote:
    > > see
    > > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5322290.html

    > Holy shit.
    >
    > "The 3800+ chip consumes 91 watts of power at idle, rising to 172 watts
    > under a full load. That compares with 155 watts at idle and 258 watts
    > under a full load for the Pentium 4 560."
    >
    > Which heater would you like to purchase?

    some of us in Dunedin appreciate a hot cpu ;)
    wogers nemesis, Aug 25, 2004
  6. Seagull

    Richard Guest

    time to replace your heater, summer is coming :)

    Richard, Aug 25, 2004
  7. Seagull

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Aug 25, 2004
  8. Seagull

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:44:21 +1200, wogers nemesis <> wrote:

    >In article <>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
    >says...
    >> Seagull wrote:
    >> > see
    >> > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5322290.html

    >> Holy shit.
    >>
    >> "The 3800+ chip consumes 91 watts of power at idle, rising to 172 watts
    >> under a full load. That compares with 155 watts at idle and 258 watts
    >> under a full load for the Pentium 4 560."
    >>
    >> Which heater would you like to purchase?
    >>

    >some of us in Dunedin appreciate a hot cpu ;)

    Na, a Hot Poker more like..
    Karen Parker, Aug 25, 2004
  9. Seagull

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:01:38 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > colinco wrote:
    >>>"The 3800+ chip consumes 91 watts of power at idle, rising to 172 watts
    >>>under a full load. That compares with 155 watts at idle and 258 watts
    >>>under a full load for the Pentium 4 560."
    >>>Which heater would you like to purchase?

    >> Add 73 Watts from a Geforce Video card and you don't need a heater.

    > me thinks I will be needing a new PSU when/if I upgrade.

    Don't bother purchasing such products, as they are a design failure.
    They have failed to stay within a reasonable power envelope.
    All semiconductor manufacturers should be aiming to achieve the same
    or improved performance while using LESS power. Check out the Pentium M,
    that shows it is possible.
    If such ridiculous power consumption keeps growing, the cost of feeding
    power to your PC will start to exceed your ISP fees - as well as exposing
    the computer's components to higher heat levels and risk of failure.

    --
    Just my 2 cents worth
    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Aug 28, 2004
  10. Seagull

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Murray Symon wrote:

    >>> Add 73 Watts from a Geforce Video card and you don't need a heater.

    >> me thinks I will be needing a new PSU when/if I upgrade.

    > Don't bother purchasing such products, as they are a design failure.
    > They have failed to stay within a reasonable power envelope.
    > All semiconductor manufacturers should be aiming to achieve the same
    > or improved performance while using LESS power. Check out the Pentium
    > M, that shows it is possible.
    > If such ridiculous power consumption keeps growing, the cost of
    > feeding power to your PC will start to exceed your ISP fees - as well
    > as exposing the computer's components to higher heat levels and risk
    > of failure.

    I like the Pentium M CPU, especially the 'Dothan' (2MB L2). If/when Intel
    make them available for desktop PCs I might actually consider buying Intel
    again.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 28, 2004