    easily fit on one.

    Despite that, it's a great movie and supplements on the SE are
    enjoyable.

    Gram, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Gram

    Zimmy Guest

    2 single layer discs? Really?
    Sounds like MGM wants to dual inventory a vanilla version like Anchor Bay.

    Zimmy, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Gram

    Eric R. Guest

    (Gram) wrote in message

    > The new "Escape from NY" 2 disc SE contains 2 single layer discs. The
    > movie itself being about 99 minutes, and the extras on disc 2 being
    > about 40 minutes total, I'm wondering why this wasn't placed on one
    > dual layer DVD.

    Maybe MGM wants to make it easier for people to copy. Those folks at
    MGM are so nice.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Dec 19, 2003
  4. Gram

    Zimmy Guest

    It would be much easier to copy. But I think the original poster doesn't
    know how to tell a single layer from a dual layer. Everyone online is
    saying they are 2 DVD9s.

    Zimmy, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Gram

    Mike Davis Guest

    "Zimmy" <> wrote in message
    > It would be much easier to copy. But I think the original poster doesn't
    > know how to tell a single layer from a dual layer. Everyone online is
    > saying they are 2 DVD9s.
    >
    > "Eric R." <> wrote in message
    > > (Gram) wrote in message
    > >
    > > > The new "Escape from NY" 2 disc SE contains 2 single layer discs. The
    > > > movie itself being about 99 minutes, and the extras on disc 2 being
    > > > about 40 minutes total, I'm wondering why this wasn't placed on one
    > > > dual layer DVD.

    > > Maybe MGM wants to make it easier for people to copy. Those folks at
    > > MGM are so nice.
    > >
    > > -Eric

    Eric,
    It seems the folks at MGM really are being nice. The info at Widescreen
    Review seems to indicate two DVD-5 discs. Cool. As much as I dislike WSR for
    the advocacy of of the D-VHS HD tape format they usually do at least get the
    disc specs right in the DVD previews <ggg.>
    All the best, Mike

    Mike Davis, Dec 19, 2003
  6. Gram

    Zimmy Guest

    It seems the folks at MGM really are being nice. The info at Widescreen
    > Review seems to indicate two DVD-5 discs. Cool. As much as I dislike WSR

    for
    > the advocacy of of the D-VHS HD tape format they usually do at least get

    the
    > disc specs right in the DVD previews <ggg.>
    > All the best, Mike

    According to their website, they say DVD9. I'll have to check the print
    edition.

    (Studio/Distributor):
    MGM Home Entertainment

    (Catalog Number):
    1005690

    (MPAA Rating):

    (Rating Reason):
    NA

    (Retail Price):
    $29.98

    (DVD Type):
    Single Side, Dual Layer (DVD9)

    (Widescreen Edition):
    Yes

    (Full Screen Edition):
    No

    (Anamorphic Widescreen):
    Yes

    (Running Time In Minutes):
    99

    (Color Type):
    Color

    (Chaptered/Scene Access):
    Yes

    (Closed Captioned):
    Yes

    (Regional Coding):
    1

    (Year):
    1981

    (Theatrical Release):
    Yes

    (Direct-To-Video Release):
    No

    (DVD Release Date):
    12/16/03

    (THX® Digitally Mastered):
    No

    Zimmy, Dec 19, 2003
  7. Gram

    John Howells Guest

    "Zimmy" <> wrote

    > It would be much easier to copy. But I think the original poster doesn't
    > know how to tell a single layer from a dual layer. Everyone online is
    > saying they are 2 DVD9s.

    It just goes to show that it is not always wise to believe what "everyone"
    says, as the OP is most certainly correct in reporting that Escape From New
    York is two single layer disks. Perhaps "everyone" is just assuming that
    because there are two disks they must be two layer, but clearly "everyone"
    has not checked the facts!

    John Howells

    John Howells, Dec 19, 2003
  8. Gram

    Gram Guest

    "Zimmy" <> wrote in message news:<brvc8u$7k2d5$-berlin.de>...
    > It would be much easier to copy. But I think the original poster doesn't
    > know how to tell a single layer from a dual layer. Everyone online is
    > saying they are 2 DVD9s.

    I do know how to tell single from dual layer. I've read reviews
    claiming they are dual layer, but when watching the movie, I didn't
    detect any layer change. I then put the discs in the computer to
    verify with software, and it does say they are both single layer
    discs. If someone does think they are dual layer, please tell me
    where you think the layer change occurs during the movie.

    Check this review at Digital Bits:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/escapefromnyse.html

    You'll notice that he claims it is dual layer, but can't identify the
    layer change.

    Gram, Dec 19, 2003
  9. Gram

    mazinz Guest

    well either way, this the opriginal post then needs the answer of why would mgm
    waste 2 dvds when they could have dual-layered the film

    mazinz, Dec 20, 2003
  10. Gram

    Richard C. Guest

    "mazinz" <> wrote in message
    : well either way, this the opriginal post then needs the answer of why would mgm
    : waste 2 dvds when they could have dual-layered the film

    ==============================
    Why not?

    Richard C., Dec 20, 2003
  11. Gram

    Wade365 Guest

    MGM put out a 2-disc set so that you'd BUY a 2-disc set... it seems a lot more
    worth it to spend $23-$30 on a 2-disc set than a single DVD, wouldn't you
    agree?

    "Marketing, it's faaaaaan-tastic!!!"

    Wade365, Dec 20, 2003
  12. Gram

    mazinz Guest

    no i dont because they could have made i a single disc and charged less for it,
    but then again that isn't the best marketing strategy for mgm is it?

    mazinz, Dec 21, 2003
  13. Gram

    Richard C. Guest

    "mazinz" <> wrote in message
    : no i dont because they could have made i a single disc and charged less for it,
    : but then again that isn't the best marketing strategy for mgm is it?

    ===============
    How much less would you want to pay?
    I got mine for $ 15.99.

    Richard C., Dec 21, 2003
  14. Gram

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <3fe5cc6e$0$7527$>,
    "Richard C." <> wrote:

    > How much less would you want to pay?
    > I got mine for $ 15.99.

    I saw it at Barnes & Nobles tonight and my jaw nearly hit the floor when
    I looked at the stickered price. $35.99! This appeared to be the price
    for most of their DVD's. I had never before seen such outrages price for
    1 & 2 disc titles. I've never purchased a DVD from Barnes & Nobles and
    I'm now positive I never will. I can't believe anyone actually buys
    DVD's from them at those prices. The funny thing is this Barnes & Nobles
    is right across the street from Best Buy and Circuit City. You would
    think they'd try to be a bit more competitive.

    I haven't yet checked the price else where, but I'm sure it's a hell of
    a lot less than that.
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Dec 22, 2003