    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=794>.

    Nobody should be introducing new external connectors to PCs that aren’t hot-
    pluggable. We left all that nonsense behind with SCSI.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 18, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > If it’s not, then to me that defeats much of the point
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=794>.
    >
    > Nobody should be introducing new external connectors to PCs that aren’t hot-
    > pluggable. We left all that nonsense behind with SCSI.

    It is for me, just tell windows to remove the device in the tray, tells
    me I can remove it, unplug it.

    Plug a drive in and within a few seconds it autolaunches.

    It doesnt do that if you use IDE emulation, for obvious reasons that IDE
    is not swappable, but a refresh in device manager will have it finding a
    new drive, and unplugging when not writing to it seems to have minimal
    ill effect, unless you are dumb enough to have a drive formatted in FAT
    Richard, Feb 18, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> If it's not, then to me that defeats much of the point
    >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=794>.
    >>
    >> Nobody should be introducing new external connectors to PCs that
    >> aren't hot- pluggable. We left all that nonsense behind with SCSI.

    > It is for me, just tell windows to remove the device in the tray,
    > tells me I can remove it, unplug it.
    >
    > Plug a drive in and within a few seconds it autolaunches.

    Yep, same for me. My desktop machine has one fixed (system) drive and four
    SATA HDD bays. I did have to download a little app that allows me to stop
    them, (I'm running XP on it) similar to a USB 'safely remove' thing that
    sits in the systray.

    > It doesnt do that if you use IDE emulation, for obvious reasons that
    > IDE is not swappable, but a refresh in device manager will have it
    > finding a new drive, and unplugging when not writing to it seems to
    > have minimal ill effect, unless you are dumb enough to have a drive
    > formatted in FAT

    Mmm. I'm using ACHI mode, on both my desktop and my laptop.
    --
    Shaun.

    Nota bene: 'Return to' email is very rarely checked, if at all. It's spam
    city but is a req. of my NNTP providor.
    ~misfit~, Feb 18, 2010