    connected. Not sure if it has anything to do with this but I am now stuck.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Divoch
    divoch, Mar 3, 2006

  2. divoch

    old jon Guest

    "divoch" <> wrote in message
    news:Z9_Nf.26605$...
    > Windows 98SE, Laserjet 6L parallel printer. I am suddenly unable to print.
    > have changed cable, reset printer and rebooted computer but it still does
    > not work. Tried to re-install a HP printer drive but could not because the
    > installation program could not find the printer. I have tried to connect
    > another printer but the computer did not pick it up as a new hardware,
    > i.e.
    > connection was not established. It now seems to point to a problem in the
    > computer rather than a printer or a connection.
    > One peculiar thing happened before this problem started; the computer
    > suddenly wanted Win98SE CD in order to install Infrared printer. I have
    > obliged and it looks as LPT3 is now Infrared printer which I do not have.
    > tried to remove LPT3 but it does not let me claiming that IR printer is
    > connected. Not sure if it has anything to do with this but I am now stuck.
    > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    > Divoch

    Hi Div. Go to Device Manager, Uninstall printers, switch on printer,
    and Restart the computer. See if it finds the printer.

    --
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Mar 3, 2006

  3. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "divoch" <> wrote in message
    > > Windows 98SE, Laserjet 6L parallel printer. I am suddenly unable to

    print.
    > > have changed cable, reset printer and rebooted computer but it still

    does
    > > not work. Tried to re-install a HP printer drive but could not because

    the
    > > installation program could not find the printer. I have tried to connect
    > > another printer but the computer did not pick it up as a new hardware,

    > > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    > > Divoch
    > >

    > Hi Div. Go to Device Manager, Uninstall printers, switch on printer,
    > and Restart the computer. See if it finds the printer.

    Only partial success. In the Device Manager was only "ECP printer port"
    with! in a yellow circle. After Uninstalling "ECP printer port" in the
    Device Manager a new device appears to be recognised by Windows. It asks for
    rebooting to finish installation, as one expects, but it does not seem to
    get installed. "ECP printer port" reappears again with! and under General
    properties of this ECP Printer Port Device status reads as: This device is
    either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers
    installed [Code 24]. This happens for either of the two printers I tried
    [HP LaserJet 6L and Olliveti JP 192].
    In the meantime I noticed a new Infrared monitor icon in the sys tray (see
    my original post). Under Ports in the Device Manager there are COM3, ECP
    Printer port! (as mentioned) and Virtual Infrared COM port and Virtual
    Infrared LPT port.

    Roman
    divoch, Mar 3, 2006
  4. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "divoch" <> wrote in message

    > "old jon" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "divoch" <> wrote in message
    > > > Windows 98SE, Laserjet 6L parallel printer. I am suddenly unable to

    > print.
    > > > have changed cable, reset printer and rebooted computer but it still

    > does
    > > > not work. Tried to re-install a HP printer drive but could not because

    > the
    > > > installation program could not find the printer. I have tried to

    connect
    > > > another printer but the computer did not pick it up as a new hardware,

    > > > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    > > > Divoch
    > > >

    > > Hi Div. Go to Device Manager, Uninstall printers, switch on printer,
    > > and Restart the computer. See if it finds the printer.
    > >

    > Only partial success. In the Device Manager was only "ECP printer port"
    > with! in a yellow circle. After Uninstalling "ECP printer port" in the
    > Device Manager a new device appears to be recognised by Windows. It asks

    for
    > rebooting to finish installation, as one expects, but it does not seem to
    > get installed. "ECP printer port" reappears again with! and under General
    > properties of this ECP Printer Port Device status reads as: This device is
    > either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers
    > installed [Code 24]. This happens for either of the two printers I tried
    > [HP LaserJet 6L and Olliveti JP 192].
    > In the meantime I noticed a new Infrared monitor icon in the sys tray (see
    > my original post). Under Ports in the Device Manager there are COM3, ECP
    > Printer port! (as mentioned) and Virtual Infrared COM port and Virtual
    > Infrared LPT port.
    >
    > Roman

    After powering down PC completely and prodding around it recognised the
    printer
    and works, except on at least one .pdf document
    Divoch
    divoch, Mar 4, 2006