    server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP,
    Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

    Can someone please help.
    Lynn Mclean, Apr 19, 2007

  2. Lynn Mclean

    Gordon Guest

    Lynn Mclean wrote:

    > The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered
    > the server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol:
    > SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number:
    > 0x800CCC0D
    >
    > Can someone please help.

    <sigh> NTL again....

    The clue is staring you in the face. you have entered your server
    information as "POP3" and "SMTP". The real entries should be something in
    the form of pop.ntlworld.com for the POP3 server and smtp.ntlworld.com for
    the smtp server. Go to the NTL website to find out the proper settings.
    Gordon, Apr 19, 2007

  3. Lynn Mclean wrote:

    > The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the
    > server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP,
    > Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D
    >
    > Can someone please help.

    Sure. Your answer is right there in the message:
    "The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered
    the server name correctly."

    The server name is not 'SMTP'; it will be the name of your NTLWorld mail
    server. Perhaps 'mail.ntlworld.com' or similar?

    --
    -bts
    -Heh. NTLWorld ...
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 19, 2007
  4. Lynn Mclean

    Ponder Guest

    In message G1MVh.1595$, Lynn Mclean wrote:

    > The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the
    > server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP,
    > Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D
    > Can someone please help.

    Ask future ISP related questions in virginmedia.feedback, this is not
    related to ntl/virginmedia in and way, shape nor form and will almost
    certainly lead to your ridicule.

    What it acually means is you've probably entered the outgoing mail server
    wrong, it's supposed to be smtp.ntlworld.com not SMTP.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Apr 19, 2007
  5. Lynn Mclean

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:38:14 +0000, Lynn Mclean wrote:

    > From: "Lynn Mclean" <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:38:14 GMT
    >
    > The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the
    > server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP,
    > Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D
    >
    > Can someone please help.

    Hmmmmm,, NTL customer of course.

    Wait until NTL fixes their problems.
    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Apr 19, 2007
  6. Lynn Mclean

    Gordon Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:38:14 +0000, Lynn Mclean wrote:
    >
    >> From: "Lynn Mclean" <>
    >> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:38:14 GMT
    >>
    >> The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered
    >> the server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol:
    >> SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number:
    >> 0x800CCC0D
    >>
    >> Can someone please help.

    > Hmmmmm,, NTL customer of course.
    >
    > Wait until NTL fixes their problems.

    I thought NTL/Blueyonder/Virgin had a set-up CD that automatically did all
    this?
    Gordon, Apr 19, 2007
  7. Lynn Mclean

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:38:14 +0000, Lynn Mclean wrote:

    > The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the
    > server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP,
    > Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D
    >
    > Can someone please help.

    Go to your account settings and enter 'pop.ntlworld.com' and
    'smtp.ntlworld.com' in the correct places.

    Even if you DO have your settings set correctly don't be too surprised if
    you can't download your emails from NTL's server. It's shite. You'll get
    an error telling you that your username or password is invalid (even
    though you know it isn't) and then when you hopefully call what's
    laughingly known as 'Tech Support' you'll be speaking to someone in Mumbai
    whose first language is definitely not English.

    This disembodied voice will eventually tell you that your inability to
    download your emails from NTL's server isn't their fault but something to
    do with your OS/settings/firewall/birthsign.

    There's nothing you can do about this but view your emails using your web
    client. It will accept your username/password combo without a hiccup even
    though your email client won't. Go figure.

    In the meantime, go to Google and search 'why is ntl shit' (seriously).

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    Aardvark, Apr 19, 2007
  8. Lynn Mclean

    Ponder Guest

    Ponder, Apr 19, 2007
  9. Lynn Mclean

    Ponder Guest

    In message , Gordon wrote:

    > I thought NTL/Blueyonder/Virgin had a set-up CD that automatically did all
    > this?

    And anyone who uses it is considered of lower intelligence than those who
    try to get help in here ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Apr 19, 2007
  10. Lynn Mclean

    Gordon Guest

    Ponder wrote:

    > In message , Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> I thought NTL/Blueyonder/Virgin had a set-up CD that automatically did
    >> all this?

    > And anyone who uses it is considered of lower intelligence than those who
    > try to get help in here ;)

    Doesn't that correspond with most NTL/Blueyonder/Virgin users? ;-)
    Gordon, Apr 19, 2007
  11. Lynn Mclean

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:09:34 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:38:14 +0000, Lynn Mclean wrote:
    >>
    >>> From: "Lynn Mclean" <>
    >>> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >>> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:38:14 GMT
    >>>
    >>> The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered
    >>> the server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol:
    >>> SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number:
    >>> 0x800CCC0D
    >>>
    >>> Can someone please help.

    >> Hmmmmm,, NTL customer of course.
    >>
    >> Wait until NTL fixes their problems.

    > I thought NTL/Blueyonder/Virgin had a set-up CD that automatically did all
    > this?

    I took the post as the user has been using NTL email and the servers went
    down like they do all the time.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794