Error Trying to Restore Compaq Laptop

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by poweruserNOT, Jan 12, 2006.

  1. poweruserNOT

    poweruserNOT Guest

    Gidday

    I unwisely offered to help a mate restore his presario 2500 with XP SP1.

    Doco said to load windows from original CD which I did without a problem. I
    put the driver restore CD in as per instructions and it autoran
    installshield but stalled. Under the autoshield window was an error message

    An error [-5011 : 0x80040707] has occurred while running the setup.
    Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other
    applications.
    If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor: Hewlett Packard.

    It is out of warranty so I am unsure whether I will get any help from HP.
    I have not setup any other software so am wondering whether windows needs to
    be activated before I load drivers. Doesnt seem to make sense as in the
    normal course of events, I would need the modem to activate.

    Any ideas please

    TIA

    poweruserNOT, Jan 12, 2006

  2. T'was the Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:06:28 +1300 when I remembered
    "poweruserNOT" <> saying something like this:

    >Doco said to load windows from original CD which I did without a problem. I
    >put the driver restore CD in as per instructions and it autoran
    >installshield but stalled. Under the autoshield window was an error message

    Was the driver for the graphics card? You might be able to download
    updated versions from hp.com. I did a quick hp search for the error
    number and came up with this.
    http://search.hp.com/query.html?lang=en&submit.x=6&submit.y=2&qt=0x80040707&la=en&cc=us
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jan 12, 2006

  3. poweruserNOT

    Jerry Guest

    poweruserNOT wrote:
    > Gidday
    >
    > I unwisely offered to help a mate restore his presario 2500 with XP SP1.
    >
    > Doco said to load windows from original CD which I did without a problem. I
    > put the driver restore CD in as per instructions and it autoran
    > installshield but stalled. Under the autoshield window was an error message
    >
    > An error [-5011 : 0x80040707] has occurred while running the setup.
    > Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other
    > applications.
    > If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor: Hewlett Packard.
    >
    > It is out of warranty so I am unsure whether I will get any help from HP.
    > I have not setup any other software so am wondering whether windows needs to
    > be activated before I load drivers. Doesnt seem to make sense as in the
    > normal course of events, I would need the modem to activate.
    >
    > Any ideas please
    >
    > TIA

    if you google the error code there are a bunch of hits that might help.
    if that doesn't work, try booting of the restore CD and installing
    from there. there shold be an option to format restore.

    Jerry, Jan 12, 2006
  4. poweruserNOT

    poweruserNOT Guest

    "poweruserNOT" <> wrote in message
    > Gidday
    >
    > I unwisely offered to help a mate restore his presario 2500 with XP SP1.
    >
    > Doco said to load windows from original CD which I did without a problem.
    > I put the driver restore CD in as per instructions and it autoran
    > installshield but stalled. Under the autoshield window was an error
    > message
    >
    > An error [-5011 : 0x80040707] has occurred while running the setup.
    > Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other
    > applications.
    > If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor: Hewlett Packard.
    >
    > It is out of warranty so I am unsure whether I will get any help from HP.
    > I have not setup any other software so am wondering whether windows needs
    > to be activated before I load drivers. Doesnt seem to make sense as in the
    > normal course of events, I would need the modem to activate.
    >
    > Any ideas please
    >
    > TIA

    There is no restore CD as such. There is a Operating System CD and a Driver
    Recovery CD.

    I have started updating the drivers manually one folder at a time from the
    Driver CD. It is just that some of the drivers whinge about not having some
    prerequisite of other. Also, the driver restore Cd include some apps such as
    Quicken and WinDVD. There are other folders that have weird names that do
    not contain an exe, bat, or msi file at all.

    I have googled the error code but probably need to change my search criteria
    as there is a lot of crap out there.

    Thanks

    poweruserNOT, Jan 12, 2006
  5. poweruserNOT

    S Roby Guest

    In article <bHyxf.14318$>, "poweruserNOT" <> wrote:
    >Gidday
    >
    >I unwisely offered to help a mate restore his presario 2500 with XP SP1.
    >
    >Doco said to load windows from original CD which I did without a problem. I
    >put the driver restore CD in as per instructions and it autoran
    >installshield but stalled. Under the autoshield window was an error message
    >
    >An error [-5011 : 0x80040707] has occurred while running the setup.

    Ive come across quite a few restore CD's that simply dont work.
    You can spend many hours on the phone to the helpdesk (in India)
    eg : no I dont need to check for viruses,its a new blank HD(they wouldnt
    accept this fact)
    eg No, I will not test the restore CD but trying in in another machine ( &
    wiping their info) "cant you get a friends laptop & try the restore CD in
    that"
    eg : no the new CD's you sent dont work either
    eg: OK so you now admit that earlier versions of the restore CD had 'issues'

    I honestly think that they dont test that these 'restore' cd's actually work

    S Roby, Jan 13, 2006