Error transfering files on network

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Jul 16, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hi. Yesterday I was trying to transfer some photos in different My
    Photo folders for different users on one PC to another PC.

    I managed to do two folders sucessfully, but then when I tried on some
    other folders I got the error message that says "Cannot copy IMG_022:
    access is denied. Make sure the disc is not full, write protected and
    that the file is not currently in use".

    I also had a similar message when I went to that computer to try and
    copy the photos within that folder in the other direction "Cannot
    create or replace 2005_02_15: Access is denied. Make sure the disc is
    not full, write protected and that the file is not currently in use".

    Does anyone know what the problem might be for this? I can't
    understand how it allowed me to do it for two of the five folders
    containing lots of photos, but for other folders I am getting this
    error message. All the folders seem to be set up exactly the same
    way.

    What do you think could be the problem and what can I do to fix it?

    Cheers

    John

    John, Jul 16, 2006

  2. John

    bmoag Guest

    Individual folders can have different sharing parameters.
    However this type of behavior is also seen when there is a defect in a file
    (either software or something failing on the hard drive), when a firewall
    program is not functioning properly and simply because the Gods of Windows
    deem it to be so. If it is the last case then rebooting or logging off/on
    the affected computer should fix the problem.

    bmoag, Jul 17, 2006

  3. John

    sandy58 Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hi. Yesterday I was trying to transfer some photos in different My
    > Photo folders for different users on one PC to another PC.
    >
    > I managed to do two folders sucessfully, but then when I tried on some
    > other folders I got the error message that says "Cannot copy IMG_022:
    > access is denied. Make sure the disc is not full, write protected and
    > that the file is not currently in use".
    >
    > I also had a similar message when I went to that computer to try and
    > copy the photos within that folder in the other direction "Cannot
    > create or replace 2005_02_15: Access is denied. Make sure the disc is
    > not full, write protected and that the file is not currently in use".
    >
    > Does anyone know what the problem might be for this? I can't
    > understand how it allowed me to do it for two of the five folders
    > containing lots of photos, but for other folders I am getting this
    > error message. All the folders seem to be set up exactly the same
    > way.
    >
    > What do you think could be the problem and what can I do to fix it?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John

    "Make sure the disc is not full, write protected and"
    > that the file is not currently in use<

    This can happen if you are running a P2P ie:Bearshare & someone is
    "uploading" from your share folder. Just a thought as it happened to me
    recently. :)

    sandy58, Jul 18, 2006
  4. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:38:15 GMT, "bmoag" <> wrote:

    >Individual folders can have different sharing parameters.

    The only option the folders seem to have on the two computers I am
    trying to transfer between are either to share the folder or not to
    share it. One computer is running XP Pro SP2. The other is running XP
    Home SP2.

    >However this type of behavior is also seen when there is a defect in a file
    >(either software or something failing on the hard drive),

    >when a firewall
    >program is not functioning properly

    I have zonealarm on both systems and it is functioning properly. Even
    if I disable it completely on both systems I still cant to the
    transfer and get the error message so I am guessing that the firewall
    is not the problem. Also I managed to transfer 3 folders of
    photographs from one of the 4 users on the XP Home system with the
    firewall on. It is just giving me the error message when I try and
    copy the files from the photo folders for the other 3 users.

    >and simply because the Gods of Windows
    >deem it to be so.

    >If it is the last case then rebooting or logging off/on
    >the affected computer should fix the problem.

    I've tried rebooting but nothing.

    Could this be a defect in a file then? How would I go about finding
    out what the problem is?

    Cheers

    John

    John, Jul 21, 2006
  5. John

    John Guest

    >"Make sure the disc is not full, write protected and"
    >> that the file is not currently in use<

    >This can happen if you are running a P2P ie:Bearshare & someone is
    >"uploading" from your share folder. Just a thought as it happened to me
    >recently. :)

    It is just me using the two systems trying to do this and no other
    things are being done at the same time like this.

    John

    John, Jul 21, 2006