    another machine and then tried to run it. The SETUP file doesn't have any
    kind of checks that could prevent him from running the software. The same
    process has worked on other machines.
    =?Utf-8?B?QUpBWQ==?=, Aug 22, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QUpBWQ==?=

    Rick Guest

    Re: Error: The image file ... is valid, but is for a machine typeothe

    Although you don't specify the problem is with Win x64, if the error is
    in fact occurring in Win x64, it's probably a case where the SETUP file
    is a 16-bit program and no 16 bit programs will run in Win x64.

    Rick, Aug 22, 2005

  3. This error message, when encountered on an x64 Edition machine, indicates
    that your application or its setup program is 16 bit. There is no support
    for 16 bit applications in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 22, 2005
  4. Hello,
    I see this error most commonly reported when a customer tries to run 64-bit
    Setup.exe or Winnt32.exe from inside a 32-bit version of Windows.
    Since setup.exe and winnt32.exe are 64-bit executables and the installed OS
    is 32-bit, there isn't a way to get the program to run.
    You have to boot to the cd to be able to install 64-bit Windows.
    We also see this error when someone tries to run setup or winnt32 of IA-64
    versions of Windows under either 32-bit or x64 bits versions of Windows.
    You could see this type of error trying to run the x64 version of setup or
    winnt32 on an Itanium machine running Windows, but we don't see customers
    reporting that .
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Subject: Re: Error: The image file ... is valid, but is for a machine type
    othe
    <Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:23:56 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <This error message, when encountered on an x64 Edition machine, indicates
    <that your application or its setup program is 16 bit. There is no support
    <for 16 bit applications in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
    <
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Aug 22, 2005
  5. good points, Darrell -- any of those scenarios would give you that result.
    But you also get exactly the same error message from a DOS or 16 bit program
    that tries to run in x64 Edition.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 22, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QUpBWQ==?=

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Bangalore , India
    Hi

    While patching SQL server 2005 SP1 to SP2, I also face below error

    Error: The image file is valid , but is for a machine type other than the current machine

    In my case Sql server is 32 bit and I am applying 64 bit sql patch

    Thanks
    Saurabh Sinha
    , Feb 17, 2014