Error: "The expected token is 'NAME'." in system.dll

Discussion in 'Software' started by seniorwebguy, Jul 25, 2006.

  1. seniorwebguy

    seniorwebguy

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Location:
    Hodgenville, KY
    Receiving this error:
    Code:
    An unhandled exception of type 'System.Configuration.ConfigurationException' occurred in system.dll

    Additional information: This is an unexpected token. The expected token is 'NAME'. Line 10, position 93.
    when executing this code:
    Code:
    System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["ConnectionString"]
    I'm using .NET 1.1 and cannot debug my windows application anymore.

    Any ideas?

    Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
    seniorwebguy, Jul 25, 2006

  2. seniorwebguy

    seniorwebguy

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Location:
    Hodgenville, KY
    App.Config syntax error

    It turns out that this error signifies a syntax error somewhere in the App.Config file. Most people seem to misspell something like <appSettings>. In my case, I wanted double quotes (") embedded in the value string. I tried ("") and (\") but neither one worked. So the question has changed.

    How do you achieve the following without receiving an error:

    Code:
    <add key="ExcelFileFormat" value="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Extended Properties=""Excel 8.0;HDR=YES"" " />

    seniorwebguy, Jul 25, 2006