    I have Windows Xp installed on several computers and basically all the software is the same everywhere. However with some computers I have trouble opening pdf file contaning letters such as ä, ö in their filename. If I change the ä, ö into a or o it works. Howevre I need to upload these files contaning their exact names, and when I do so, they are atomatically uploaded without the ä or ö. How can I set the system up so that it is able to recognise these letters and be able to work with them?

    Best wishes,

    Nikola
    Chayanne, May 17, 2006

  2. Chayanne

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    ä, ö are not standard text, they are unicode yes, but certain filesystem's depend on having acsii (standard text) characters, such characters as ä, ö are changed.

    So it is not possible to have ä, ö in a filename, but because windows allows this there is no problem on ur system as to naming file with ä, ö... Its when copying the files from one system to another, windows Auto checks things like that, and will help u out by replacing it with a, o. This is to prevent errors in the use of windows on other systems, its to make the file universal, for all OS's, wether it be Windows Xp->95 or Linux, and even DOS.
    unholy, May 19, 2006

  3. Chayanne

    Chayanne

    Joined:
    May 17, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    It doesn't solve my problem

    I have a few computers, and the one next to imine is able to recognize this letters and open files contaning such letters in their names. I have to upload these files to a server using Lotus Notes and they need to be with ä, ö etc.
    Everyone else is able to do it. How come only 1 or 2 computers out of 15 have this problem?
    Chayanne, May 19, 2006
  4. Chayanne

    fazal.shaikh

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Can anyone tell me how to restrict the upload control to upload only *.doc files.
    Thanks and Regards
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
    fazal.shaikh, Jul 3, 2007