    C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\msimn.exe.mdmp

    C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\appcompat.txt

    Thanks for any input...

    Annie, Jun 16, 2005

  2. Annie

    WormWood Guest

    "Annie" <> wrote in message
    news:Wl8se.4046$...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I consistently get these error messages when accessing the newsgroups
    > through Outlook Express. I can read a couple of posts and then it
    > freezes. I have to close the program and re-enter. This happens every
    > time I use it. Is there a way to fix this?
    >
    > C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\msimn.exe.mdmp
    >
    > C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\appcompat.txt
    >
    > Thanks for any input...

    Read this link:
    <http://askleo.com/how_do_i_resolve_my_problem_with_appcompattxt.html>

    WormWood, Jun 16, 2005

  3. Annie

    Annie Guest

    Error message in Outlook Express-Need help!

    I consistently get these error messages when accessing the newsgroups
    through Outlook Express. I can read a couple of posts and then it freezes.
    I have to close the program and re-enter. This happens every time I use it.
    Is there a way to fix this?

    > C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\msimn.exe.mdmp

    > C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\appcompat.txt

    > WormWood wrote:

    Read this link:

    http://askleo.com/how_do_i_resolve_my_problem_with_appcompattxt.html

    I tried many times to open this link (with different computers, also) and it
    isn't working. Tried just askleo.com and that didn't work either. Any
    other suggestions? Thanks!

    Annie, Jun 16, 2005
  4. Annie

    Mike Easter Guest

    Re: Error message in Outlook Express-Need help!

    We have about 3 different problems here, 2 of them are housekeeping
    related.

    Annie wrote:
    > I consistently get these error messages when accessing the newsgroups
    > through Outlook Express. I can read a couple of posts and then it
    > freezes. I have to close the program and re-enter. This happens
    > every time I use it. Is there a way to fix this?
    >
    >> C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\msimn.exe.mdmp

    >> C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\appcompat.txt

    Those paths and files, eg appcompat.txt represent a system by which a
    person can report a problem back to MS, Microsoft.

    So, the sequence is that something causes OE to freeze/crash and the
    system is designed to offer to let you report that to MS, and that
    reporting system uses those files.to report the error messages.

    That is, this isn't an answer to your problem of what is causing the
    crash, it is just an answer to what the files have to do with it, namely
    a reporting system.

    Now for the housekeeping issues. You clicked on a previous post of
    yours which had a reply from WormWood, but your OE newsreader wasn't
    configured to properly cite his remarks. Then you changed the subject
    of the post to be a different subject. Sometimes that combination of no
    quote/cite marks and 'untelegraphed' subject changing can cause
    confusion, but we'll continue addressing the issues raised.

    >> WormWood wrote:

    > Read this link:
    >
    > http://askleo.com/how_do_i_resolve_my_problem_with_appcompattxt.html

    The askleo website is currently parked. When it was available, it was a
    forum with a discussion of how the file appcompat.txt was used to report
    back to MS.

    > I tried many times to open this link (with different computers, also)
    > and it isn't working. Tried just askleo.com and that didn't work
    > either. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

    Now that you know that askleo was just telling you what I told you
    above, you can stop bothering with it and go back to describing what
    works about OE and what doesn't work. If it is seriously broken and
    crashing you may need to remove and reinstall it, then try to get some
    of its file/folders cleaned up if they are corrupted.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 16, 2005
  5. Annie

    Annie Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > We have about 3 different problems here, 2 of them are housekeeping
    > related.
    >
    > Annie wrote:
    >> I consistently get these error messages when accessing the newsgroups
    >> through Outlook Express. I can read a couple of posts and then it
    >> freezes. I have to close the program and re-enter. This happens
    >> every time I use it. Is there a way to fix this?
    >>
    >>> C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\msimn.exe.mdmp

    >>> C:\DOCUME~1\myname\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc940.dir00\appcompat.txt

    > Those paths and files, eg appcompat.txt represent a system by which a
    > person can report a problem back to MS, Microsoft.
    >
    > So, the sequence is that something causes OE to freeze/crash and the
    > system is designed to offer to let you report that to MS, and that
    > reporting system uses those files.to report the error messages.
    >
    > That is, this isn't an answer to your problem of what is causing the
    > crash, it is just an answer to what the files have to do with it, namely
    > a reporting system.
    >

    > Now for the housekeeping issues. You clicked on a previous post of
    > yours which had a reply from WormWood, but your OE newsreader wasn't
    > configured to properly cite his remarks. Then you changed the subject
    > of the post to be a different subject. Sometimes that combination of no
    > quote/cite marks and 'untelegraphed' subject changing can cause
    > confusion, but we'll continue addressing the issues raised.
    >
    >>> WormWood wrote:

    >> Read this link:
    >>
    >> http://askleo.com/how_do_i_resolve_my_problem_with_appcompattxt.html

    > The askleo website is currently parked. When it was available, it was a
    > forum with a discussion of how the file appcompat.txt was used to report
    > back to MS.
    >
    >> I tried many times to open this link (with different computers, also)
    >> and it isn't working. Tried just askleo.com and that didn't work
    >> either. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

    > Now that you know that askleo was just telling you what I told you
    > above, you can stop bothering with it and go back to describing what
    > works about OE and what doesn't work. If it is seriously broken and
    > crashing you may need to remove and reinstall it, then try to get some
    > of its file/folders cleaned up if they are corrupted.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Hi Mike,

    Is that better (regarding my OE newsreader configured to properly cite
    remarks)? :) One of my computers is configured that way and the other one
    isn't. I believe I quoted the one line he sent and didn't think original
    cite marks were necessary. Oh, well.

    Thanks for your kind reply and for letting me know those error messages were
    only regarding Microsoft's error reporting. I got the info from the 'Report
    to Microsoft' message box where it's suppose to tell you what the technical
    problem was...apparently it didn't. I may have to do a reinstall, as you
    said. Would that be off my WinXP cd? I've never done anything but a full
    install.

    Thanks again for your input!

    --Annie

    Annie, Jun 17, 2005
  6. Annie

    Annie wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> So, the sequence is that something causes OE to freeze/crash and the
    >> system is designed to offer to let you report that to MS, and that
    >> reporting system uses those files.to report the error messages.

    >> If it is seriously broken and
    >> crashing you may need to remove and reinstall it, then try to get
    >> some of its file/folders cleaned up if they are corrupted.

    > Is that better (regarding my OE newsreader configured to properly cite
    > remarks)? :)

    Yes, all better.

    > may have to do a reinstall, as you said. Would that be off my WinXP
    > cd? I've never done anything but a full install.

    This is just about removing and replacing OE, which is really a repair
    of IE because OE is a 'creature' of IE. But I wasn't quite clear on
    whether or not the problem you were having was going to require its
    removal and replacement. I got the idea that when you are working in
    newsgroups you get some kind of crash.

    I think I would start by removing and replacing my news server account.
    In OE, Tools/ Accounts/ News tab - select the news server account and
    use the remove button. Apparently you have some kind of
    ameritech/prodigy account in which you use the prodigy newsserver, but I
    didn't see a page which shows you how to add the account.

    So, after you remove the prodigy news account, you add it back in as a
    new account which requires that you know how to configure for it.
    Sometimes it is useful to examine the one which is there before you
    remove it so that you can see how it is configured, whether you have to
    log in or not, whether the username is just the username or if the
    username is the email address; that sort of thing.

    Then if it doesn't get fixed by removing and replacing the news account,
    the next step up the ladder might be to remove and replace OE itself.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 17, 2005
  7. Annie

    Annie Guest

    > Then if it doesn't get fixed by removing and replacing the news account,
    > the next step up the ladder might be to remove and replace OE itself.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    I do know how to remove or add a news account and I will try that first. If
    I DO need to replace OE, do I need to download it from Microsoft? This is
    where I'm confused.
    (To clarify, yes, I eventually freeze up every time I'm reading/accessing
    the newsgroups)

    Thanks again... and again. :)

    -Annie

    Annie, Jun 17, 2005
  8. Annie

    Annie wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> Then if it doesn't get fixed by removing and replacing the news
    >> account, the next step up the ladder might be to remove and replace
    >> OE itself.

    > I do know how to remove or add a news account and I will try that
    > first. If I DO need to replace OE, do I need to download it from
    > Microsoft? This is where I'm confused.
    > (To clarify, yes, I eventually freeze up every time I'm
    > reading/accessing the newsgroups)

    I'm familiar with W98, you may need to adjust something for XP.

    If you are going to remove OE, you can do it in CP/ AddRemove Programs,
    select OE and remove. When you are going to add OE, you also do it from
    AddRemove Programs via IE - click Internet Explorer AddRemove button
    which will bring up Add component or Repair or restore previous. Use
    Add component and it will provide an opportunity to re-install OE.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 17, 2005
  9. Annie

    Annie Guest

    > I'm familiar with W98, you may need to adjust something for XP.
    >
    > If you are going to remove OE, you can do it in CP/ AddRemove Programs,
    > select OE and remove. When you are going to add OE, you also do it from
    > AddRemove Programs via IE - click Internet Explorer AddRemove button
    > which will bring up Add component or Repair or restore previous. Use
    > Add component and it will provide an opportunity to re-install OE.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Got it! Appreciate the help! :)

    Annie, Jun 18, 2005