Error Message: 'Delayed Write Failed' - hard drive Full?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ErrorMessage, Nov 12, 2007.

  1. ErrorMessage

    ErrorMessage Guest

    I have a WinXP Pro system. Today there was a power outage, but the
    Uninterrutable Power Supply, as usual, worked fine. However,
    afterwards, I've had probs with a "Delayed Write Failed" error
    message:

    "Windows was unable to save all the data for the file I:\$Mft. The
    data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your
    computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file
    elsewhere."

    In addition to the reference to the $Mft file, another "Delayed Write
    Failed" error message has also mentioned an INFO2 file.

    I think the error message is caused by one of my external hard drives
    being full - specifically, a prob with a hidden RECYCLER folder.
    Google found that someone else posted
    (http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/22061/?o=60) about a
    similar prob:

    "Hi Just thought I would let you all know my solution to this problem
    ended up being a full hard drive.
    XP showed 11.gig of unused space but when I looked closer the drive
    was full. That particular drive is only used for storing data with no
    OS installed on it. What appears to have happened is XP has made a
    recycled bin on that drive and all the files within it were not
    registering as taking up space. Deleted them and the problem has gone.
    Sounds to simple but I had tried everything else that I could find on
    forums with no luck"

    My "I" hard drive is a 500 GB HD, and the space reserved on it for the
    Recycle Bin is 3.99 GB. Windows says Free Space on "I" is 4.89 GB.

    So the solution would seem to be to free up some space on "I", maybe
    15 or 20 GB, until all its contents can be transferred to another,
    larger HD. First, I thought I'd delete either I's RECYCLE folder or
    the contents of I's RECYCLE folder. Its only contents seems to be a
    SID (security identifier) folder
    (S-1-5-21-2800802158-4014822629-3681521231-1005) that contains 207 MB
    (its contents = D1.ZIP, D2.ZIP & desktop.ini).

    Sometimes the folder or files in it get corrupted. If they're deleted,
    Windows simply recreates them anew when needed.

    However, I'm unable to delete I's RECYCLER folder or its contents. "rd
    /s /q c:\recycler" does not work. If I log in as administrator
    supposedly I can delete the folder or its contents, but am not sure
    how to do that.

    Do you agree that the "Delayed Write Failed" error message is probably
    caused by a full hard drive? And do you agree that I's RECYCLE folder
    (or its contents) should be deleted? Would changing (lowering) the
    amount of space reserved on "I" for the Recycle Bin help?

    All suggestions will be appreciated.
    ErrorMessage, Nov 12, 2007

  2. ErrorMessage

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:52:00 GMT, ErrorMessage wrote:

    > I have a WinXP Pro system. Today there was a power outage, but the
    > Uninterrutable Power Supply, as usual, worked fine. However,
    > afterwards, I've had probs with a "Delayed Write Failed" error
    > message:
    >
    > "Windows was unable to save all the data for the file I:\$Mft. The
    > data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your
    > computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file
    > elsewhere."
    >
    > In addition to the reference to the $Mft file, another "Delayed Write
    > Failed" error message has also mentioned an INFO2 file.
    >
    > I think the error message is caused by one of my external hard drives
    > being full - specifically, a prob with a hidden RECYCLER folder.
    > Google found that someone else posted
    > (http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/22061/?o=60) about a
    > similar prob:
    >
    > "Hi Just thought I would let you all know my solution to this problem
    > ended up being a full hard drive.
    > XP showed 11.gig of unused space but when I looked closer the drive
    > was full. That particular drive is only used for storing data with no
    > OS installed on it. What appears to have happened is XP has made a
    > recycled bin on that drive and all the files within it were not
    > registering as taking up space. Deleted them and the problem has gone.
    > Sounds to simple but I had tried everything else that I could find on
    > forums with no luck"
    >
    > My "I" hard drive is a 500 GB HD, and the space reserved on it for the
    > Recycle Bin is 3.99 GB. Windows says Free Space on "I" is 4.89 GB.
    >
    > So the solution would seem to be to free up some space on "I", maybe
    > 15 or 20 GB, until all its contents can be transferred to another,
    > larger HD. First, I thought I'd delete either I's RECYCLE folder or
    > the contents of I's RECYCLE folder. Its only contents seems to be a
    > SID (security identifier) folder
    > (S-1-5-21-2800802158-4014822629-3681521231-1005) that contains 207 MB
    > (its contents = D1.ZIP, D2.ZIP & desktop.ini).
    >
    > Sometimes the folder or files in it get corrupted. If they're deleted,
    > Windows simply recreates them anew when needed.
    >
    > However, I'm unable to delete I's RECYCLER folder or its contents. "rd
    > /s /q c:\recycler" does not work. If I log in as administrator
    > supposedly I can delete the folder or its contents, but am not sure
    > how to do that.
    >
    > Do you agree that the "Delayed Write Failed" error message is probably
    > caused by a full hard drive? And do you agree that I's RECYCLE folder
    > (or its contents) should be deleted? Would changing (lowering) the
    > amount of space reserved on "I" for the Recycle Bin help?
    >
    > All suggestions will be appreciated.

    I had those same errors pop up on mine.
    I figured out that they started shortly after installing a certain program.
    As well as from shutting off the machine with unplugging it without
    shutting down the system properly.
    I did a few things to correct it. Got rid of the program. As well as did a
    system restore. That seemed to cure the problem. At least I haven't seen
    the messages since.
    richard, Nov 12, 2007

  3. ErrorMessage

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:59:41 -0500, richard wrote:

    >> Do you agree that the "Delayed Write Failed" error message is probably
    >> caused by a full hard drive? And do you agree that I's RECYCLE folder
    >> (or its contents) should be deleted? Would changing (lowering) the
    >> amount of space reserved on "I" for the Recycle Bin help?
    >>
    >> All suggestions will be appreciated.

    > I had those same errors pop up on mine.
    > I figured out that they started shortly after installing a certain program.
    > As well as from shutting off the machine with unplugging it without
    > shutting down the system properly.
    > I did a few things to correct it. Got rid of the program. As well as did a
    > system restore. That seemed to cure the problem. At least I haven't seen
    > the messages since.

    Delayed write errors are almost always issues with external storage.
    Meat Plow, Nov 12, 2007
  4. ErrorMessage

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Meat Plow.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > Delayed write errors are almost always issues with external storage.

    And I:\ certainly looks like an external drive letter. Sounds like a USB
    drive not connected to the UPS that was being written to at the time the
    power failed.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Nov 12, 2007
  5. ErrorMessage

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:46:28 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:59:41 -0500, richard wrote:
    >
    >>> Do you agree that the "Delayed Write Failed" error message is probably
    >>> caused by a full hard drive? And do you agree that I's RECYCLE folder
    >>> (or its contents) should be deleted? Would changing (lowering) the
    >>> amount of space reserved on "I" for the Recycle Bin help?
    >>>
    >>> All suggestions will be appreciated.

    >> I had those same errors pop up on mine.
    >> I figured out that they started shortly after installing a certain program.
    >> As well as from shutting off the machine with unplugging it without
    >> shutting down the system properly.
    >> I did a few things to correct it. Got rid of the program. As well as did a
    >> system restore. That seemed to cure the problem. At least I haven't seen
    >> the messages since.

    > Delayed write errors are almost always issues with external storage.

    on a laptop with no external drives? not even a flash drive?
    richard, Nov 13, 2007
  6. ErrorMessage

    ChairMan Guest

    In news:,
    ErrorMessage <>spewed forth:
    > I have a WinXP Pro system. Today there was a power outage, but the
    > Uninterrutable Power Supply, as usual, worked fine. However,
    > afterwards, I've had probs with a "Delayed Write Failed" error
    > message:
    >
    > "Windows was unable to save all the data for the file I:\$Mft. The
    > data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your
    > computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file
    > elsewhere."
    >
    > In addition to the reference to the $Mft file, another "Delayed Write
    > Failed" error message has also mentioned an INFO2 file.
    >
    > I think the error message is caused by one of my external hard drives
    > being full - specifically, a prob with a hidden RECYCLER folder.
    > Google found that someone else posted
    > (http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/22061/?o=60) about a
    > similar prob:
    >
    > "Hi Just thought I would let you all know my solution to this problem
    > ended up being a full hard drive.
    > XP showed 11.gig of unused space but when I looked closer the drive
    > was full. That particular drive is only used for storing data with no
    > OS installed on it. What appears to have happened is XP has made a
    > recycled bin on that drive and all the files within it were not
    > registering as taking up space. Deleted them and the problem has gone.
    > Sounds to simple but I had tried everything else that I could find on
    > forums with no luck"
    >
    > My "I" hard drive is a 500 GB HD, and the space reserved on it for the
    > Recycle Bin is 3.99 GB. Windows says Free Space on "I" is 4.89 GB.
    >
    > So the solution would seem to be to free up some space on "I", maybe
    > 15 or 20 GB, until all its contents can be transferred to another,
    > larger HD. First, I thought I'd delete either I's RECYCLE folder or
    > the contents of I's RECYCLE folder. Its only contents seems to be a
    > SID (security identifier) folder
    > (S-1-5-21-2800802158-4014822629-3681521231-1005) that contains 207 MB
    > (its contents = D1.ZIP, D2.ZIP & desktop.ini).
    >
    > Sometimes the folder or files in it get corrupted. If they're deleted,
    > Windows simply recreates them anew when needed.
    >
    > However, I'm unable to delete I's RECYCLER folder or its contents. "rd
    > /s /q c:\recycler" does not work. If I log in as administrator
    > supposedly I can delete the folder or its contents, but am not sure
    > how to do that.
    >
    > Do you agree that the "Delayed Write Failed" error message is probably
    > caused by a full hard drive? And do you agree that I's RECYCLE folder
    > (or its contents) should be deleted? Would changing (lowering) the
    > amount of space reserved on "I" for the Recycle Bin help?
    >
    > All suggestions will be appreciated.

    Check your event log for the system, see if there is any correlation with
    the time it's logged into the system .
    I had the same problem and after checking all knowledge base info and trying
    different suggestions from here I realized it was happening 20 minutes after
    I would leave the puter.
    Turns out that the power settings and been reset by gremlins to turn the HDs
    off after 20 minutes.
    Turned them back on and to never shut down and have never had another
    "Delayed Write Failed" error
    message: "Windows was unable to save all the data for the file I:\$Mft. The
    data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your
    computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file
    elsewhere."

    hth
    ChairMan, Nov 13, 2007
  7. ErrorMessage

    ded Guest

    "ErrorMessage" <> wrote in message
    >I have a WinXP Pro system. Today there was a power outage, but the
    > Uninterrutable Power Supply, as usual, worked fine. However,
    > afterwards, I've had probs with a "Delayed Write Failed" error
    > message:
    >
    > "Windows was unable to save all the data for the file I:\$Mft. The
    > data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your
    > computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file
    > elsewhere."

    snip
    That error message is in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925269/en-us
    ded, Nov 13, 2007
  8. ErrorMessage

    njdilettante Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> I had those same errors pop up on mine.
    >>> I figured out that they started shortly after installing a certain
    >>> program.
    >>> As well as from shutting off the machine with unplugging it without
    >>> shutting down the system properly.
    >>> I did a few things to correct it. Got rid of the program. As well as did
    >>> system restore. That seemed to cure the problem. At least I haven't seen
    >>> the messages since.

    >> Delayed write errors are almost always issues with external storage.

    > on a laptop with no external drives? not even a flash drive?

    I got this message intermittently for a few weeks before my hard drive
    failed.

    --
    NJ dilettane

    "I know NOTH-ing" - Sgt. Shultz