    can copy files to this writable DVD, but you must insert it in a
    writable drive". To a newbie with writable DVD's, this message doesn't
    make sense to me. Would someone please explain? Thank you.

    Nisko, Jan 8, 2010

  2. Nisko

    Mycelium Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 00:16:39 -0500, Nisko <> wrote:

    >I was just copying some files to a DVD (for the first time) and
    >received a message which said "This DVD-ROM drive is read-only. You
    >can copy files to this writable DVD, but you must insert it in a
    >writable drive". To a newbie with writable DVD's, this message doesn't
    >make sense to me. Would someone please explain? Thank you.

    You have discs that are blank and ready for burning (writing), but the
    disc drive you placed it into is not a burning (authoring) drive.

    Mycelium, Jan 8, 2010

  3. Nisko

    Fruit2O Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 03:02:26 -0800, Mycelium
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 00:16:39 -0500, Nisko <> wrote:
    >
    >>I was just copying some files to a DVD (for the first time) and
    >>received a message which said "This DVD-ROM drive is read-only. You
    >>can copy files to this writable DVD, but you must insert it in a
    >>writable drive". To a newbie with writable DVD's, this message doesn't
    >>make sense to me. Would someone please explain? Thank you.

    > You have discs that are blank and ready for burning (writing), but the
    >disc drive you placed it into is not a burning (authoring) drive.

    I guess that's why the message didn't make sense to me. The drive I
    placed the disk in IS a read/write drive. I was in the middle of
    copying movie clips to a re-writable disk when I received the message.
    I checked the disk when I was finished and I do have files that were
    copied to the disk. The drive is even LightScribe capable. Is there
    anything else you can think of that would initiate that message? Is
    there something I can check to determine the cause for that message?
    Thanks.....

    Fruit2O, Jan 8, 2010
  4. Nisko

    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 00:16:39 -0500, Nisko <> wrote:
    >
    >>I was just copying some files to a DVD (for the first time) and
    >>received a message which said "This DVD-ROM drive is read-only. You
    >>can copy files to this writable DVD, but you must insert it in a
    >>writable drive". To a newbie with writable DVD's, this message doesn't
    >>make sense to me. Would someone please explain? Thank you.

    > You have discs that are blank and ready for burning (writing), but the
    >disc drive you placed it into is not a burning (authoring) drive.

    I just printed out the directory that I copied from and a copy of the
    files copied to the DVD. They match. So I don't understand why I got
    that error message. Now that I have the files on a re-writable DVD, do
    I have to close the DVD out (close the session)?

    Fruit2O, Jan 8, 2010
  5. Nisko

    Mycelium Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:34:40 -0500, Fruit2O <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 03:02:26 -0800, Mycelium
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 00:16:39 -0500, Nisko <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I was just copying some files to a DVD (for the first time) and
    >>>received a message which said "This DVD-ROM drive is read-only. You
    >>>can copy files to this writable DVD, but you must insert it in a
    >>>writable drive". To a newbie with writable DVD's, this message doesn't
    >>>make sense to me. Would someone please explain? Thank you.

    >> You have discs that are blank and ready for burning (writing), but the
    >>disc drive you placed it into is not a burning (authoring) drive.

    >I guess that's why the message didn't make sense to me. The drive I
    >placed the disk in IS a read/write drive. I was in the middle of
    >copying movie clips to a re-writable disk when I received the message.
    >I checked the disk when I was finished and I do have files that were
    >copied to the disk. The drive is even LightScribe capable. Is there
    >anything else you can think of that would initiate that message?

    A mismatch between the drive and the software meant to operate it?

    Have you installed more than one brand or version of authoring
    software?

    Updates to software or firmware can cause this as well.

    I think the makers are incorporating 'new purchases' into their
    firmware updates. I have had both a PS3 and a PC drive fail, the PS3
    immediately, and the PC drive shortly after being 'updated'.

    > Is
    >there something I can check to determine the cause for that message?
    >Thanks.....

    Look for chat about that model drive or send an email to the maker and
    see if they even have live respondents.

    Mycelium, Jan 8, 2010
  6. Nisko

    Fruit2O Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 14:26:24 -0800, Mycelium
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:34:40 -0500, Fruit2O <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 03:02:26 -0800, Mycelium
    >><> wrote:

    >>> You have discs that are blank and ready for burning (writing), but the
    >>>disc drive you placed it into is not a burning (authoring) drive.

    >>I guess that's why the message didn't make sense to me. The drive I
    >>placed the disk in IS a read/write drive. I was in the middle of
    >>copying movie clips to a re-writable disk when I received the message.
    >>I checked the disk when I was finished and I do have files that were
    >>copied to the disk. The drive is even LightScribe capable. Is there
    >>anything else you can think of that would initiate that message?

    > A mismatch between the drive and the software meant to operate it?
    >
    > Have you installed more than one brand or version of authoring
    >software?
    >
    > Updates to software or firmware can cause this as well.
    >
    > I think the makers are incorporating 'new purchases' into their
    >firmware updates. I have had both a PS3 and a PC drive fail, the PS3
    >immediately, and the PC drive shortly after being 'updated'.
    >

    >> Is
    >>there something I can check to determine the cause for that message?
    >>Thanks.....

    > Look for chat about that model drive or send an email to the maker and
    >see if they even have live respondents.

    Since this is my first time with this PC (HP Laptop) and Vista, I have
    no idea about what you said. Even though I received that error
    message, all the files seem to have copied over successfully. However,
    I have not yet tried to read them on another PC. The DVD writing
    software I used is what's built-in to Vista. Yes, I have also
    installed Nero 9 but have never used it. I'll try the DVD in question
    on another PC tomorrow and let you know if I can read all the video
    clips. Thanks...........

    Fruit2O, Jan 9, 2010