    IE6.0 and there is no network intentionally set up between these two
    computers and no Server2000 ever installed on any computer. I am concerned
    about an intrusion. tAnyone ever see this?
    =?Utf-8?B?bWFkdWNl?=, Jun 23, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bWFkdWNl?=

    Chuck Guest

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
    Chuck, Jun 24, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?bWFkdWNl?=

    wrote:

    >I am having trouble browsing with IE 6.0 Win XP Pro SP2. Have wireless router
    >with 3 computers, but have made no attempt to network these. I got a message
    >in the Event Viewer today that says in part:
    >
    >"The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
    >TOSHIBA-USER that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on
    >transport NetBT_Tcpip_{B20EEE5C-5324-4. The master browser is stopping or an
    >election is being forced."
    >
    >Event Type: Error
    >Event Source: MRxSmb
    >Event Category: None
    >Event ID: 8003
    >
    >I am directed to the Windows 2000 Server Support site - a complete mystery
    >to me as this is all within my home. I am further concerned since the Tohiba
    >User is my wife (we are online at the same time), also running XP Pro and
    >IE6.0 and there is no network intentionally set up between these two
    >computers and no Server2000 ever installed on any computer. I am concerned
    >about an intrusion. tAnyone ever see this?

    Master browser elections are a normal part of Windows Networking. If you see
    this message frequently, that might indicate a problem. Occasionally seeing
    this indicates a computer coming online, or going offline. With WiFi, I'd
    expect to see this regularly.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html

    It's probably not an intrusion anyway. Just your computers deciding who gets to
    be in charge. Run browstat from each computer, and compare the results.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/browstat-utility-from-microsoft.html>

    Chuck, Jun 24, 2006