Error Messae: Windows not Genuine

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Tom, Jul 27, 2007.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Two years ago, I bought a Sony PC at an estate sale that had windows XP
    professonal installed.. Recently the "Windows not genuine" message started
    showing up. I am sure the person I bought it from installed a pirated copy
    of the XP Professional software on the PC. The PC has a sticker showing
    that it came with the XP home edition. Is there any way to get back to the
    home edition (which has been paid for) without buying a retail copy?

    My daughter is using the PC and the features of XP profesional are not
    needed; XP home would be just fine.

    The PC is working fine; however, along with the not genuine message is a
    statementr that she is not elgible for updates from Microsoft

    No, I did not get any dsks with the PC so I cannot go back to store
    settings.

    There is a button that says get genuine. Does anyone know what happens if
    you start down that path?

    Any Ideas would be appreciated.

    Tom D.
    Erro

    Tom, Jul 27, 2007

  2. Tom

    Ragnar Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > Two years ago, I bought a Sony PC at an estate sale that had windows
    > XP professonal installed.. Recently the "Windows not genuine"
    > message started showing up. I am sure the person I bought it from
    > installed a pirated copy of the XP Professional software on the PC.
    > The PC has a sticker showing that it came with the XP home edition. Is
    > there any way to get back to the home edition (which has been paid
    > for) without buying a retail copy?
    > My daughter is using the PC and the features of XP profesional are not
    > needed; XP home would be just fine.
    >
    > The PC is working fine; however, along with the not genuine message
    > is a statementr that she is not elgible for updates from Microsoft
    >
    > No, I did not get any dsks with the PC so I cannot go back to store
    > settings.
    >
    > There is a button that says get genuine. Does anyone know what
    > happens if you start down that path?
    >
    > Any Ideas would be appreciated.
    >
    > Tom D.
    > Erro

    Your XP Pro installation COULD have been paid for but was simply not
    registered online (this is possible with XP Pro but not AFAIK with XP Home).

    What has happened is that you have downloaded all updates from time to time
    including one called 'Windows Genuine Advantage'. This update checks your
    PC for a registered version of XP and (if it does not find it) will prevent
    further updates or other support.

    It is possible to get rid of WGA and revert to the previous state of
    affairs. If you know exactly when the 'problem' started then I think you can
    simply revert to a previous Restore state. I have not attempted this so
    don't take my word for it - Google for advice before trying it.

    If it does not work then Google for 'removing Windows Genuine Advantage' and
    read the instructions carefully before trying anything.

    If you do succeed in removing WGA then obviously you must switch off Auto
    Update and only download updates manually in future, keeping a sharp lookout
    for Microsoft's attempts to make you install WGA again.

    To answer your question about reverting to XP Home, the answer is NO unless
    Win XP Pro was installed as a dual boot arrangement.

    HTH
    Ragnar

    Ragnar, Jul 27, 2007