    was the bios was updated, and it has a new hard disk in it.

    Any idea wats going on?

    Daniel (ps windows was running happy wiht the new bios after the update)

    asdf, Feb 16, 2004

  2. asdf

    EMB Guest

    "asdf" <> wrote in message
    news:FnWXb.45671$...
    > trying to do a clean install of windows on a new ish computer that was
    > running it. now after the normal reboot windows install dose, it comes up
    > with the error "error loading user.exe windows needs reinstalling" The

    only
    > things that have changed sinses windows was last load on to this computer
    > was the bios was updated, and it has a new hard disk in it.
    >
    > Any idea wats going on?

    google for it - the first 2 hits are MS support and there's loads of
    resources generally

    EMB

    EMB, Feb 16, 2004

  3. asdf

    asdf Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message

    > "asdf" <> wrote in message
    > > trying to do a clean install of windows on a new ish computer that was
    > > running it. now after the normal reboot windows install dose, it comes

    up
    > > with the error "error loading user.exe windows needs reinstalling" The

    > only
    > > things that have changed sinses windows was last load on to this

    computer
    > > was the bios was updated, and it has a new hard disk in it.
    > >
    > > Any idea wats going on?
    > >

    > google for it - the first 2 hits are MS support and there's loads of
    > resources generally

    The Two ms suport things talk about a file missing, this is 1/2 way thorugh
    a a clean install how could there be a file missing?

    asdf, Feb 17, 2004
  4. asdf

    steve Guest

    asdf wrote:

    > trying to do a clean install of windows on a new ish computer that was
    > running it. now after the normal reboot windows install dose, it comes up
    > with the error "error loading user.exe windows needs reinstalling" The
    > only things that have changed sinses windows was last load on to this
    > computer was the bios was updated, and it has a new hard disk in it.
    >
    > Any idea wats going on?
    >
    > Daniel (ps windows was running happy wiht the new bios after the update)

    Bad install CD?

    steve, Feb 17, 2004
  5. asdf

    steve Guest

    asdf wrote:

    > The Two ms suport things talk about a file missing, this is 1/2 way
    > thorugh a a clean install how could there be a file missing?

    Bad install CD. I saw something similar a while back when using an old
    Win98SE original CD.

    I happened to have the /win98 directory from the CD on a hard drive and made
    a CD of that.....and installed from it OK.

    When i do a successful install, I always copy the /win98 folder from the CD
    to the hard drive of the system just installed.....so every Win98 system
    has all the files needed to re-build it.....and each hard drive is a in
    effect a backup.

    steve, Feb 17, 2004
  6. asdf

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:20:14 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >asdf wrote:
    >
    >> trying to do a clean install of windows on a new ish computer that was
    >> running it. now after the normal reboot windows install dose, it comes up
    >> with the error "error loading user.exe windows needs reinstalling" The
    >> only things that have changed sinses windows was last load on to this
    >> computer was the bios was updated, and it has a new hard disk in it.
    >>
    >> Any idea wats going on?
    >>
    >> Daniel (ps windows was running happy wiht the new bios after the update)

    >Bad install CD?

    I have been in the habit of copying the Win98 folder from the CD to
    the hard drive. Installation goes faster and when adding any further
    progs or hardware at another time that need access to the CD, it knows
    to look in your Win98 folder on the hard drive - much more efficient.

    GraB, Feb 17, 2004
  7. asdf

    Dave Taylor Guest

    steve <> wrote in

    > When i do a successful install, I always copy the /win98 folder from
    > the CD to the hard drive of the system just installed.....so every
    > Win98 system has all the files needed to re-build it.....and each hard
    > drive is a in effect a backup.

    Steve, If you copy the files first, and then setup from that folder, the
    setup source path reg key does not need to be edited.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 18, 2004
  8. asdf

    asdf Guest

    Have tryed a two difrent CD's

    asdf, Feb 18, 2004
  9. asdf

    pete Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 00:40:51 +1300, GraB wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:20:14 +1300, steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>asdf wrote:
    >>
    >>> trying to do a clean install of windows on a new ish computer that was
    >>> running it. now after the normal reboot windows install dose, it comes up
    >>> with the error "error loading user.exe windows needs reinstalling" The
    >>> only things that have changed sinses windows was last load on to this
    >>> computer was the bios was updated, and it has a new hard disk in it.
    >>>
    >>> Any idea wats going on?
    >>>
    >>> Daniel (ps windows was running happy wiht the new bios after the update)

    >>Bad install CD?

    > I have been in the habit of copying the Win98 folder from the CD to
    > the hard drive. Installation goes faster and when adding any further
    > progs or hardware at another time that need access to the CD, it knows
    > to look in your Win98 folder on the hard drive - much more efficient.

    One extra thing is to not put the .cab files in the c:\windows\options
    folder. I put them in c:\win98 so that if it ever becomes necessary to blow
    c:\windows away, the cabs are still there for reloading

    pete, Feb 19, 2004
  10. asdf

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:31:57 +1300, pete <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 00:40:51 +1300, GraB wrote:

    >>>Bad install CD?

    >> I have been in the habit of copying the Win98 folder from the CD to
    >> the hard drive. Installation goes faster and when adding any further
    >> progs or hardware at another time that need access to the CD, it knows
    >> to look in your Win98 folder on the hard drive - much more efficient.

    >One extra thing is to not put the .cab files in the c:\windows\options
    >folder. I put them in c:\win98 so that if it ever becomes necessary to blow
    >c:\windows away, the cabs are still there for reloading

    I usually put them on D:\win98. Allows for a format of C: drive if
    you want to.

    GraB, Feb 19, 2004