Error Loading Operating system

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jay Skulk, May 10, 2004.

  1. Jay Skulk

    Jay Skulk Guest

    Howdy,

    I have a homemade computer named "Elements" It has a 40GB Maxtor drive
    in it and I'm using Windows XP Home edition

    This morning it locked up while playing games, and every time I reboot
    it now it gives the message in the subject.

    I have checked all connections of various peripherals and they seem OK.
    It starts booting up, comes to the screen where it sees the hard drive
    then tells me that memory is Ok, and so forth, then it give me a hard
    lock with that message.

    Occasionally it would boot to the cd-rom It would read the windows disk
    load a bunch of files then tell me it was going to setup windows. When I
    gave it a "yes" to go ahead it comes back and tells me that it can no
    longer read the Windows XP disk in the CD_rom.

    I need some exspurt advice please.

    Puzzled in Livonia.

    Jay Skulk, May 10, 2004

  2. Jay Skulk

    Unk Guest

    Boot to the BIOS options. Check to see if the BIOS recognizes the HD.
    The CMOS battery may be dying, so might the HD.
    Check the Maxtor sight for a HD diagnostic utility.
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/fireball_cx_udma33to66.htm

    Unk, May 10, 2004

  3. Jay Skulk

    Jay Skulk Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Boot to the BIOS options. Check to see if the BIOS recognizes the HD.
    > The CMOS battery may be dying, so might the HD.
    > Check the Maxtor sight for a HD diagnostic utility.
    > http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/fireball_cx_udma33to66.htm
    >

    > On Sun, 9 May 2004 23:38:07 -0500, Jay Skulk <> wrote:
    >
    > >Howdy,
    > >
    > >I have a homemade computer named "Elements" It has a 40GB Maxtor drive
    > >in it and I'm using Windows XP Home edition
    > >
    > >This morning it locked up while playing games, and every time I reboot
    > >it now it gives the message in the subject.
    > >
    > >I have checked all connections of various peripherals and they seem OK.
    > >It starts booting up, comes to the screen where it sees the hard drive
    > >then tells me that memory is Ok, and so forth, then it give me a hard
    > >lock with that message.
    > >
    > >Occasionally it would boot to the cd-rom It would read the windows disk
    > >load a bunch of files then tell me it was going to setup windows. When I
    > >gave it a "yes" to go ahead it comes back and tells me that it can no
    > >longer read the Windows XP disk in the CD_rom.
    > >

    > >I need some exspurt advice please.
    > >
    > >Puzzled in Livonia.

    OK, I will try that. Any other suggestions? I tinkered around in the
    CMOS for an hour or so yesterday and nothing I did helped. It does
    recognize the Maxtor drive however.

    I will see if I can download a diagnostick from the Maxtor site.

    Jay Skulk, May 10, 2004
  4. Jay Skulk

    Jay Skulk Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Boot to the BIOS options. Check to see if the BIOS recognizes the HD.
    > > The CMOS battery may be dying, so might the HD.
    > > Check the Maxtor sight for a HD diagnostic utility.
    > > http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/fireball_cx_udma33to66.htm
    > >

    > > On Sun, 9 May 2004 23:38:07 -0500, Jay Skulk <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Howdy,
    > > >
    > > >I have a homemade computer named "Elements" It has a 40GB Maxtor drive
    > > >in it and I'm using Windows XP Home edition
    > > >
    > > >This morning it locked up while playing games, and every time I reboot
    > > >it now it gives the message in the subject.
    > > >
    > > >I have checked all connections of various peripherals and they seem OK.
    > > >It starts booting up, comes to the screen where it sees the hard drive
    > > >then tells me that memory is Ok, and so forth, then it give me a hard
    > > >lock with that message.
    > > >
    > > >Occasionally it would boot to the cd-rom It would read the windows disk
    > > >load a bunch of files then tell me it was going to setup windows. When I
    > > >gave it a "yes" to go ahead it comes back and tells me that it can no
    > > >longer read the Windows XP disk in the CD_rom.
    > > >

    > > >I need some exspurt advice please.
    > > >
    > > >Puzzled in Livonia.

    > OK, I will try that. Any other suggestions? I tinkered around in the
    > CMOS for an hour or so yesterday and nothing I did helped. It does
    > recognize the Maxtor drive however.
    >
    > I will see if I can download a diagnostick from the Maxtor site.

    I tried changing settings in the flash bios and the CMOS, but nothing
    worked.

    I went out and bought an 80MB Maxtor. I got it formatted and then when
    it got ready to install windows XP home it said that the cd in the cd-
    rom drive was only an upgrade to XP home and not the full version CD
    that it wanted. At that point I was forced to stop again since I don't
    have a full version of XP home.

    Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed now?

    Jay Skulk, May 11, 2004