Error in Outlook

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mickcant, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. mickcant

    mickcant Guest

    Hi all,
    I have been using "Outlook" for my e-mail for around three years,
    suddenly today it would not open and this error message appeard,

    Unable to display the folder, Errors have been dected in the
    fileC:\Documents and settings\Mr Cant\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook,pst, Quit all mail-enabled applications, and
    then use the Inbox Repair Tool.

    I put "Inbox Repair Tool" in the help box, and this came up:
    About the Inbox repair tool
    If you can't open your Personal Folders file (.pst) or Offline Folder file
    (.ost) file, or you suspect that your .pst or .ost data file is corrupt, you
    can use Scanpst.exe, the Inbox repair tool, to diagnose and repair errors in
    the file. Scanpst.exe scans only the .pst or.ost file, making sure that the
    file structure is intact. It doesn't scan your mailbox on the Microsoft
    Exchange server.

    Scanpst.exe is installed when you install Microsoft Outlook and is located
    at:

    drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\

    For detailed information about running the tool, see the Help file,
    Scanpst.hlp, at the same location.

    Note Use Scanost.exe, the .ost integrity check tool, if you get error
    messages when you synchronize your .ost file with the Exchange server.

    ***********

    I have been able to switch to Outlook Express, but all my mail saved mail
    and contacts are in Outlook!

    can anyone help please, in an easy way for me to follow?

    Thanks,

    mick cant.

    mickcant, Jan 29, 2004

  2. mickcant

    °Mike° Guest

    Close Outlook and Outlook Express. Navigate to the
    folder that the help file told you to, and double click
    the Scanpst.exe file.

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:57:33 -0000, in
    <>
    "mickcant" <mickcant[nospam]@clara.co.uk> scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 29, 2004

  3. mickcant

    mickcant Guest

    Hi Mike,
    Thanks for quick reply,
    sorry to sound thick, but how do I navigate to the folder?
    mick
    cant.

    mickcant, Jan 29, 2004
  4. mickcant

    Liz Guest

    Outlook doesn't start
    http://www.sparnaaij.net/Faq/outlookdoesntstart.htm

    Liz, Jan 29, 2004
  5. mickcant

    °Mike° Guest

    In Windows Explorer. Please don't tell me you don't
    know how to use Windows Explorer.

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:50:04 -0000, in
    <>
    "mickcant" <mickcant[nospam]@clara.co.uk> scrawled:

    >Hi Mike,
    > Thanks for quick reply,
    >sorry to sound thick, but how do I navigate to the folder?
    > mick

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 29, 2004
  6. mickcant

    John Holmes Guest

    mickcant came up with this:

    > sorry to sound thick, but how do I navigate to the folder?

    You /are/ joking, right?

    --
    Somebody is watching you.

    -John Holmes-

    John Holmes, Jan 29, 2004
  7. mickcant

    Max Guest

    "mickcant" <mickcant[nospam]@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi Mike,
    > Thanks for quick reply,
    > sorry to sound thick, but how do I navigate to the folder?
    > mick
    > cant.
    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > > Close Outlook and Outlook Express. Navigate to the
    > > folder that the help file told you to, and double click
    > > the Scanpst.exe file.
    > >

    > > On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:57:33 -0000, in
    > > <>
    > > "mickcant" <mickcant[nospam]@clara.co.uk> scrawled:
    > >
    > > >Hi all,
    > > >I have been using "Outlook" for my e-mail for around three years,
    > > >suddenly today it would not open and this error message appeard,
    > > >
    > > >Unable to display the folder, Errors have been dected in the
    > > >fileC:\Documents and settings\Mr Cant\Local Settings\Application
    > > >Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook,pst, Quit all mail-enabled applications,

    > and
    > > >then use the Inbox Repair Tool.
    > > >
    > > >I put "Inbox Repair Tool" in the help box, and this came up:
    > > >About the Inbox repair tool
    > > >If you can't open your Personal Folders file (.pst) or Offline Folder

    > file
    > > >(.ost) file, or you suspect that your .pst or .ost data file is

    corrupt,
    > you
    > > >can use Scanpst.exe, the Inbox repair tool, to diagnose and repair

    errors
    > in
    > > >the file. Scanpst.exe scans only the .pst or.ost file, making sure that

    > the
    > > >file structure is intact. It doesn't scan your mailbox on the Microsoft
    > > >Exchange server.
    > > >
    > > >Scanpst.exe is installed when you install Microsoft Outlook and is

    > located
    > > >at:
    > > >
    > > >drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
    > > >
    > > >For detailed information about running the tool, see the Help file,
    > > >Scanpst.hlp, at the same location.
    > > >
    > > >Note Use Scanost.exe, the .ost integrity check tool, if you get error
    > > >messages when you synchronize your .ost file with the Exchange server.
    > > >
    > > > ***********
    > > >
    > > >I have been able to switch to Outlook Express, but all my mail saved

    mail
    > > >and contacts are in Outlook!
    > > >
    > > >can anyone help please, in an easy way for me to follow?
    > > >
    > > >Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > mick cant.
    > > >

    > > --
    > > Basic computer maintenance

    Click Start > Then FIND or Search > Click on Files or folders

    Type in scanpst.exe and then hit find now.

    Double click scanpst.exe when it appears.

    It will ask you to put in the location of your pst file, give it these
    details and then click start.

    It will then take you through the process.

    Good luck

    Max

    Max, Jan 29, 2004
  8. mickcant

    mickcant Guest

    Max said,

    > Click Start > Then FIND or Search > Click on Files or folders
    >
    > Type in scanpst.exe and then hit find now.
    >
    > Double click scanpst.exe when it appears.
    >
    > It will ask you to put in the location of your pst file, give it these
    > details and then click start.
    >
    > It will then take you through the process.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Max

    ************
    Thanks Max, and all for help so far!
    the search came up with two files:
    SCANPST.EXE-0126BDCB,pf in: C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch Size: 15 KB Type: PF
    File
    SCANPST in: C:\Program Files\Common
    Files...Size: 312 KB Type: Application

    But when trying to use the Inbox Repair Tool, the top one comes up Windows
    cannot open
    and the bottom one, The fileC:\Program Files\Common Files\System\
    Map\1033\Scanpst.exe is in use by anouther application,
    close Microsoft Outlook and all other mail-enabled applications, and try
    again.

    after making sure all is close and rebooting the same error comes up!

    Any futher help please,
    ick Cant

    mickcant, Jan 30, 2004
  9. mickcant

    Liz Guest

    "mickcant" wrote:

    > the search came up with two files:
    > SCANPST.EXE-0126BDCB,pf in: C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch
    > Size: 15 KB Type: PF File
    > SCANPST in: C:\Program Files\Common Files...
    > Size: 312 KB Type: Application
    >
    > But when trying to use the Inbox Repair Tool,
    > the top one comes up Windows cannot open

    The top one is a prefetch file. The Prefetcher component
    is part of the Memory Manager, and helps to shorten the amount
    of time it takes to start Windows and programs.

    When a program is launched, Windows XP monitors the files that
    are used, and by monitoring these files, XP can prefetch them.
    So the next time the application is accessed, Windows prefetches
    the necessary files to expedite the application's launch.

    By the way, the filename of the "Inbox Repair Tool" is
    called "SCANPST.EXE".

    > and the bottom one, The fileC:\Program Files\Common Files\System\
    > Map\1033\Scanpst.exe is in use by anouther application,
    > close Microsoft Outlook and all other mail-enabled applications,
    > and try again.

    Make sure nothing is accessing your PST file before you
    run scanpst.exe. Close Outlook, press Ctrl+Alt+ Delete to
    open the Task Manager, look for any instances of Outlook.exe
    and mapisp32.exe, click End Task on each one.

    Repairing your Outlook 2000
    http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/tips_outlook.html#anchor293833

    After this, run Help> Detect and Repair from any Office application.
    Perform a general Disk Maintenance, clear out the temp folders, run scandisk
    and defrag. If you continue to have trouble with Outlook, try:

    Liz, Jan 30, 2004
  10. mickcant

    mickcant Guest

    Thank you very much Liz, and all
    will give it a good go.
    Mick Cant.

    mickcant, Jan 30, 2004
  11. mickcant

    Liz Guest

    My pleasure. I hope your problem has been sorted. :)

    Liz, Jan 31, 2004
  12. mickcant

    John Peter

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    scanpst.exe utility

    FYI..

    This inbox repair utility has some limitations:

    1. if the contents of file are damaged, Inbox Repair Tool would likely destroy what is left in the file. In this way, it causes serious data loss situations.
    2. If you are using Microsoft Outlook 2002 or earlier versions, the Inbox Repair Tool might not work if your PST file has exceeded its 2 GB size limit. Thus, you should first check the file size and if the size if more than 2 GB, the repair operation can not complete.
    3. If you can not open the original PST file before you run the Inbox Repair Tool, you can not backup the PST file which is must to recover additional information and missing items.

    To handle such cases, you may use third party PST recovery software such as (pst-recovery-software) which scan and repair your corrupt pst file more effectively.

    John Peter, Sep 18, 2009
  13. mickcant

    ostpstrepair

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Repair OST Error in Outlook

    Easily Convert Offline Storage File in outlook was using OST Conversion software. Using Restore Offline Storage file in Outlook Tool you can recover and convert your OST files to Outlook PST very quickly and effortlessly. This application manager easily Convert Offline Storage File in Outlook. You can understand Offline Storage File in Outlook items on any Outlook edition. http://www.ostintopst.com/

    Download :- http://www.mydls.org/systools-ost-recovery.exe

    ostpstrepair, Jul 11, 2011