    Hmmm?
    any ideas.
    and secret windows xp background process that could be using it? and why?

    Rhys, Feb 28, 2005

  2. Rhys

    °Mike° Guest

    What kind of file?

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:08:55 GMT, in
    <XDMUd.1560$>
    "Rhys" <rhys@@@@.@> scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 28, 2005

  3. Rhys

    Plato Guest

    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#8

    Plato, Feb 28, 2005
  4. Rhys

    Rhys Guest

    weird weird weird
    i read the aticle/s and thanks Plato.
    was about to try some of the suggestions and can i say that the fact that
    this is an issue is ruddy amzing having an OS that stops you being able to
    remove a file. ahh well.
    yeah about to try suggestions and gave deleting it in explorer one more go
    and abracadabra it works.
    go figure ey?
    quirk or anoying as hell??

    Rhys, Feb 28, 2005
  5. On 28 feb 2005 "Rhys" <rhys@@@@.@> wrote
    news:4aNUd.3302$ in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > weird weird weird
    > i read the aticle/s and thanks Plato.
    > was about to try some of the suggestions and can i say that the fact
    > that this is an issue is ruddy amzing having an OS that stops you
    > being able to remove a file. ahh well.
    > yeah about to try suggestions and gave deleting it in explorer one
    > more go and abracadabra it works.
    > go figure ey?
    > quirk or anoying as hell??

    PEBKAC ;-)

    --
    R. Amtjip ;-P
    Just mail away, I'm trying out gmail's spam killer by having a REAL

    Robert Amtjip, Feb 28, 2005
  6. Rhys

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:08:55 GMT, "Rhys" <rhys@@@@.@> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >using windows xp sp2
    >just tried to somply delete a file and with no other programs or users
    >logged on I get an error message stating that it cannot delete as "the file
    >is being used by another person or program". ??
    >I have absolutley no programs running that could/would use the file and
    >there are no thers logged on?
    >Hmmm?
    >any ideas.
    >and secret windows xp background process that could be using it? and why?

    I get that problem all the time - every week at least!

    Good ole' Win Xtra Pathetic!

    Sometimes it's Windoze explorer itself that thinks it's using the file because
    it's deleting it therefore it's in use!

    So I either wait till later, or just shut down explorer and run it again... that
    usually works.

    A few times it was because Irfan view or Winamp had seen the file and is still
    running - so I close those programs too.

    Bob, Mar 1, 2005
  7. Rhys

    Plato Guest

    Rhys wrote:

    > weird weird weird
    > i read the aticle/s and thanks Plato.
    > was about to try some of the suggestions and can i say that the fact that
    > this is an issue is ruddy amzing having an OS that stops you being able to
    > remove a file. ahh well.
    > yeah about to try suggestions and gave deleting it in explorer one more go
    > and abracadabra it works.
    > go figure ey?
    > quirk or anoying as hell??

    Perhaps the file was in use when you tried before

    Plato, Mar 1, 2005
  8. Rhys

    dwacon Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Rhys wrote:
    > >
    > > weird weird weird
    > > i read the aticle/s and thanks Plato.
    > > was about to try some of the suggestions and can i say that the fact

    that
    > > this is an issue is ruddy amzing having an OS that stops you being able

    > > remove a file. ahh well.
    > > yeah about to try suggestions and gave deleting it in explorer one more

    go
    > > and abracadabra it works.
    > > go figure ey?
    > > quirk or anoying as hell??

    > Perhaps the file was in use when you tried before

    One of the aggravations of windows is that processes will hold onto a file
    long after it is useful to the user...

    --
    It rubs the lotion on its skin...
    Or else it gets the hose again...