    ordinary.

    Any ideas what may be going on?

    Thanks.

    Dimetric Houston, Jul 19, 2004

  2. Dimetric Houston

    Thor Guest

    "Dimetric Houston" <> wrote in message
    news:hDYKc.28$...
    > Hello all. I was looking at a neighbor's computer, as they were having
    > problems with the thing shutting down after a while. They are running

    WinXP
    > Home.
    >
    > It seems that a file named lsass.exe, located in the system32 folder is
    > causing the problem. I'm not sure if it is file corruption, or a virus.
    > They have Norton 2003 Professional, but the problem is that the system

    shuts
    > off before Norton can finish scanning.
    >
    > After a time of the computer being on and you doing whatever, an error box
    > pops up stating that the system is shutting down. Something called NT
    > Authority/System apparently initiates this shut down, and the reason is
    > because of the aforementioned file.
    >
    > I'm not sure if a running app is causing this. I checked the applications
    > running the "Close Program" box and did not see anything out of the
    > ordinary.
    >
    > Any ideas what may be going on?

    Sounds like the sasser virus. Get the Sasser removal tool from Symantec's
    website, or Mcafee's "Stinger" tool from their website. Either will remove
    it, then you may be able to get get NAV 2003 updated and working to scan the
    system for any other bugs. You can also try doing the scan in safe mode.

    Thor, Jul 20, 2004

  3. Dimetric Houston

    Michael-NC Guest

    > Hello all. I was looking at a neighbor's computer, as they were having
    > problems with the thing shutting down after a while. They are running

    WinXP
    > Home.
    >
    > It seems that a file named lsass.exe, located in the system32 folder is
    > causing the problem.

    That's a system file. It's fine as long as it's in that folder.

    http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/lsass.exe.html

    Michael-NC, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Dimetric Houston

    PLS Guest

    read this;
    http://ask-leo.com/archives/000114.html

    PLS, Jul 20, 2004
  5. Dimetric Houston

    The Prophecy Guest

    Dimetric Houston wrote:
    > Hello all. I was looking at a neighbor's computer, as they were
    > having problems with the thing shutting down after a while. They are
    > running WinXP Home.
    >
    > It seems that a file named lsass.exe, located in the system32 folder
    > is causing the problem. I'm not sure if it is file corruption, or a
    > virus. They have Norton 2003 Professional, but the problem is that
    > the system shuts off before Norton can finish scanning.

    <snip>

    Your neighbour has been infected with the Sasser worm. Below is the
    appropriate Windows security patch and virus removal tool.

    --
    Windows Critical Security Patch:

    KB840374:

    Windows XP: