    Trying to find media on drive A:......

    Insert systen disk and press any key.

    Please help...william

    Big D, Oct 7, 2004

  2. "Big D" <> wrote in message
    news:AQj9d.38939$...
    > Does any one know what this error might be and how do I fix it? The error
    > while boot up says: Please help.
    >
    > BIOS ROM Checksome ERROR!
    >
    > Trying to find media on drive A:......
    >
    > Insert systen disk and press any key.
    >
    > Please help...william

    Did you try clearing the CMOS?

    Patrick Michael, Oct 8, 2004

  3. "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > It says BIOS ROM checksum error, not CMOS checksum error. This is
    > probably in the ROM code itself, and suggests either that the rom contents
    > (the bios code) has become corrupt, or that he has a physically bad ROM
    > chip.

    I realize that, but it's not going to hurt anything to try and clear the
    CMOS. If the ROM chip itself is hosed, then he his motherboard might be
    completely screwed. It depends on the BIOS/motherboard manufacturer, but
    error messages are not always so conclusive. Before attempting anything
    like a recovery of the BIOS ROM (re-flashing it or whatever), it's not a bad
    idea to start off by trying something simple.

    Patrick Michael, Oct 8, 2004
  4. Big D

    Kenny Guest

    First thing is change the battery. Some of your previous BIOS settings will
    be lost so reset to defaults then change to suit yourself.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Oct 8, 2004
  5. Big D

    Big D Guest

    Yes I tried to clear the BIOS and I replaced the battery with a new one.
    Still the same results. Is the BIOS chip screwed?

    Big D, Oct 8, 2004
  6. On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 13:26:36 GMT, Barry Watzman
    <> wrote:

    >Not necessarily, but possibly. The first thing to try, if the system
    >will still boot at all, is to reflash the BIOS. Chances of success with
    >that are about even. If you can't do that successfully, then you need
    >to consider replacing the BIOS chip.
    >
    >At this point, note the following:
    >
    >1. The chip may or may not be removeable at all. If it's not
    >removeable, then at best you have to send the motherboard back, or, at
    >worst, you are screwed.
    >
    >2. If the chip is socketed, you need to get a PROGRAMMED chip. Try the
    >motherboard maker or www.badflash.com

    This would be a good situation to have one of those Gigabyte boards
    with the dual BIOS...unless the second one is corrupted also.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 8, 2004
  7. "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > Re: "I realize that, but it's not going to hurt anything to try and clear
    > the CMOS."
    >
    > It wouldn't hurt him to check the air in his car's tires, either, but it's
    > not very likely to fix his problem.

    CMOS and BIOS are intricately related.. There are not any systems I'm aware
    for which care tires are tired into the BIOS. :)

    > I agree that there's nothing wrong with clearing CMOS or changing the
    > battery, but when you get a message that "X is the problem", don't expect
    > that "changing Z" is likely to fix it. There are specific messages for
    > ROM checksum vs. CMOS checksum, the two are totally different things, and
    > going after causes for CMOS checksum when getting the ROM checksum error
    > message is likely to be fruitless.

    Either way, it's something that would take about 2 seconds to test. In
    1/1,000th of the time we've spent arguing over this completely pointless
    bullshit, the person could have tried it, determined whether it made any
    difference, and moved on to the next step if it didn't solve anything.

    It's never ceased to amaze me the poor spelling and grammar that can be
    found in many CMOS setup screens. It's not unreasonable to think that some
    underpaid Phoenix/Award programmer in Korea confused CMOS and BIOS when they
    wrote the error code for this particular issue, especially considering the
    fact that so many people confuse and wrongly use the terms interchangeably
    today anyway. A CMOS Checksum error is fairly common, especially if the
    battery is dead or the settings are wrong. OTOH, a BIOS ROM error would be
    much less common and require much more drastic action.

    If this was something that required the same overhead in time that is
    associated with checking the air in one's tires, then I could see your
    point. However, that's not the case. It would literally take a matter of
    seconds to clear the CMOS or check the batteries. For something that quick
    and painless, I'd almost certainly test that possibility before moving onto
    the much more complicated scenario of troubleshooting a ROM chip that is
    soldered onto the motherboard.

    Patrick Michael, Oct 10, 2004
  8. Big D

    jjw Guest

    agreed.

    jjw

    jjw, Oct 11, 2004
  9. Big D

    Jim Nugent Guest

    "Big D" <> wrote in message
    > Does any one know what this error might be and how do I fix it? The error
    > while boot up says: Please help.
    >
    > BIOS ROM Checksome ERROR!
    >
    > Trying to find media on drive A:......
    >
    > Insert systen disk and press any key.

    The code in the BIOS ROM itself (not the CMOS, powered by the battery) is
    corrupt. Your BIOS appears to have "boot block" which is not normally
    flashable that is OK. That code is trying to "recover" the BIOS by asking
    for the disk. What it wants is a "Bios recovery disk" which means different
    things for different motherboards. I think it is generally the same thing as
    a boot floppy intended to flash the bios. If you can get / make one of
    those, try inserting that before powering up. Beyond that check with your
    computer/motherboard/BIOS manufacturer.
    --
    Jim
    "Remember, an amateur built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic."

    Jim Nugent, Oct 23, 2004