    Thanks and Regards,
    Matt
    , Aug 13, 2005

  2. Hans Muecke Guest

    wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > My friend recently aquired a Canon Digital Rebel EOS 300D, however he
    > says that after he takes a photo, the camera will display "Err" (with
    > no number after it) and it will not allow him to take another photo
    > until he reboots the camera. The photo saves fine to the CF card.
    >
    > We are both novices when it comes to digital SLRs so I was curious if
    > this could be an obvious sign of something wrong? Lens problem? CF card
    > problem? Can the firmware be upgraded on this model camera?
    >
    > Thanks and Regards,
    > Matt

    Hi Matt,

    Just a shot in the dark ... is the lens coming from a "normal" EOS? When I
    went digital one of the lenses gave me errors (error 99) when taking a
    picture. Turned out tate the lens was "too old" to work on the SLR ...

    --
    Wir mailen uns ... Hans
    Hans Muecke, Aug 13, 2005

  3. traction Guest

    > My friend recently aquired a Canon Digital Rebel EOS 300D, however he
    > says that after he takes a photo, the camera will display "Err" (with
    > no number after it) and it will not allow him to take another photo
    > until he reboots the camera. The photo saves fine to the CF card.

    Was the flash in use? I've had problems the battery is nearly flat, then
    you take a shot , and the low battery trip circuit comes in as the flash
    unit recharges.. Without the flash on ( sometimes used as fill flash etc)
    the camera wil shoot another 40 or 50 shots.. If there's a number after the
    ERR then its almost certainly a lens problem , it was designed before the
    camera, and needs a rechip.
    traction, Aug 13, 2005
  4. Cedders Guest

    I had a recent err99 on my 300D, it was down to a jammed shutter. Freed it
    off, OK now.
    CW

    Cedders, Aug 13, 2005
  5. PanHandler Guest

    "traction" <> wrote in message
    >> My friend recently aquired a Canon Digital Rebel EOS 300D, however he
    >> says that after he takes a photo, the camera will display "Err" (with
    >> no number after it) and it will not allow him to take another photo
    >> until he reboots the camera. The photo saves fine to the CF card.

    > Was the flash in use? I've had problems the battery is nearly flat, then
    > you take a shot , and the low battery trip circuit comes in as the flash
    > unit recharges.. Without the flash on ( sometimes used as fill flash etc)
    > the camera wil shoot another 40 or 50 shots.. If there's a number after
    > the ERR then its almost certainly a lens problem , it was designed before
    > the camera, and needs a rechip.

    Canon EF lenses work on all EOS digital bodies without rechipping. Many
    older third party lenses may have problems communicating with the body, and
    if still supported by their maker can be rechipped.
    PanHandler, Aug 13, 2005
  6. Proteus Guest

    Cedders wrote:

    > I had a recent err99 on my 300D, it was down to a jammed shutter. Freed it
    > off, OK now.
    > CW

    Please do not top post. It is bad newsgroup etiquette.
    Proteus, Aug 13, 2005
  7. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > My friend recently aquired a Canon Digital Rebel EOS 300D, however he
    > says that after he takes a photo, the camera will display "Err" (with
    > no number after it) and it will not allow him to take another photo
    > until he reboots the camera. The photo saves fine to the CF card.
    >
    > We are both novices when it comes to digital SLRs so I was curious if
    > this could be an obvious sign of something wrong? Lens problem? CF card
    > problem? Can the firmware be upgraded on this model camera?

    Matt-

    There is one firmware update that I know of, but that is probably not your
    problem. There is definitely something wrong.

    Someone else mentioned a battery problem. You might need a new battery.
    If there was a bad cell, it might appear to charge up OK, but drop voltage
    soon after you start using it. Of course you could buy a new battery and
    find that the problem is something else. If there was a nearby camera
    store, they might let you try one of their demo camera's batteries, and
    sell you a new one if theirs fixed your problem.

    There are electrical contacts between the lens and the body. You might
    wipe them off with a clean lint-free cloth. Take care not to get any lint
    or dust inside the body!

    As someone suggested, there are non-Canon lenses that aren't compatible
    with newer bodies. If that is your situation, see if that nearby camera
    store will let you try a Canon lens.

    If the problem is the CF card, try removing it and reinstalling, in case
    there was a loose connection. Otherwise, try another one.

    I suggest you solve this problem before applying the firmware update at
    the Canon website. If something went wrong during the upgrade, it could
    make things much worse!

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Aug 14, 2005
  8. Mark B. Guest

    But it's so much fun to watch individuals get their panties in a bunch over
    top-posting.

    Mark B., Aug 15, 2005
  9. Mark,
    I've never understood that either. :)