Error 623?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Pegleg, Aug 1, 2006.

  1. Pegleg

    Pegleg Guest

    Recently when on my laptop and connected wirelessly, using the web I get
    a pop-up window:

    Network Connections:
    Cannot load dialog.
    Error: 623: The system could not find the phone book entry for this
    connection.

    Everything seems to work fine except for this popup which keeps
    appearing.

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    Pegleg
    U.S. Navy Retired
    Support Our Troops,
    Question The Policy!

    All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
    freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
    Sir Winston Churchill

    Pegleg, Aug 1, 2006

  2. Hi Pegleg,

    From what you have said, I can deduce the following.
    Network Connections: <-- This is the location where the error is starting
    from.
    Cannot Load Dialog. <-- This is saying it's trying to show popup box
    (Sounds like the dial up connection dialog box is wht it's tyring to bring up)
    Error: 623 Could not find phone book entry <<<---- Well, self explanatory,
    The computer can't dial something that's not there..

    It seems as thought the computer is wanting to load a phone book entry from
    network connections. This would be because your computer is set to
    automatically dial up a network connection, and there is no dialup connection
    available in the network connections.

    Did you originally have dialup, or a WIRED connection to your laptop and
    then setup the wireless connection?
    That would cause this problem.

    To fix this problem happening:
    Open Internet Explorer,
    goto the Tools Menu,
    Choose Options,
    Click Connections Tab..
    If there are any listings in "Dial-up and Virtul Privte Network settings",
    and you're not using them anymore, remove them.

    Hope this helps
    Post back if more clarification is needed
    Aust-Tech

    =?Utf-8?B?QXVzdC1UZWNo?=, Aug 1, 2006

  3. Pegleg

    Pegleg Guest

    On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 11:23:02 -0700, Aust-Tech
    <> wrote:

    >To fix this problem happening:
    >Open Internet Explorer,
    >goto the Tools Menu,
    >Choose Options,
    >Click Connections Tab..
    >If there are any listings in "Dial-up and Virtul Privte Network settings",
    >and you're not using them anymore, remove them.

    Thanks...found the problem...apparently stems from when I use my cell
    phone to connect to the internet via Verizon. Deleted that and
    everything seems okay.

    Thanks again!

    Pegleg, Aug 2, 2006
  4. Just a note Pegleg,

    If you wish to connect to the internet via your cell phone, you will have to
    create the connection again in Network Connections.

    ------------
    If you were happy with the first response please rate it as answered so
    others can search for this type of error and also find a solution. Your first
    question will be removed from Unanswered Questions then.

    Thanking you again.

    Aust-Tech

    =?Utf-8?B?QXVzdC1UZWNo?=, Aug 3, 2006
  5. Pegleg

    jblackfish

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Location:
    Little Rock, AR
    keep the wireless AND the dial up?

    This is an old thread but I have the same problem often - error 623 - when I attempt to load a web site. The solution, when using another internet method such as wireless (which I do most of the time) was to delete the dial-up modem. I want to keep the dial-up definition - it's a tethered Blackberry - for back up and use the wireless most of the time. Is there a way to use the wireless connection most of the time and have the dial up ONLY activate in the event that the wireless connection is not there?
    Thanks,
    jblackfish:veryprou:

    jblackfish, Feb 6, 2008