    Vista x64 wouldn't let me do that either.
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Jul 1, 2008

  2. Denise

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 01/07/2008 in message
    <> Denise wrote:

    >I opened another thread where I mentioned Vista x64 won't install my
    >motherboard software. Is this the reason why these type of programs won't
    >run? How can I get Vista x64 to run my motherboard software and these
    >programs? I opened D: and tried to manually install all the software but
    >Vista x64 wouldn't let me do that either.

    There should be separate drivers for 'normal', 32 bit, Vista and Vista 64
    which you will need to down-load from the manufacturer's website. It may
    be that if it is old hardware the manufacturer has not written 64 bit
    drivers.

    Some very old software is 16 bit, or has a 16 bit installer, that won't
    run on Vista 64 at all.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 1, 2008

  3. Denise

    Denise Guest

    "Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer p

    This is what my computer has:

    - ASUS A8V-VM SE Socket 939 Micro ATX Motherboard - UDMA133, SATA (RAID)
    .. . . . VIA K8M890 + VT8237A
    .. . . . 2000/1600 HT/s
    .. . . . Dual-channel DDR400, Max 2GB
    .. . . . VIA Integrated Gfx in North Bridge K8M890
    .. . . . 1 x PCI-E X16, 1 X PCI-E X 1, 2X PCI
    .. . . . 2 *ATA133 ,2 x SATA
    .. . . . 10/100 LAN
    .. . . . 6-Channel audio
    - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0 Gb/s 320Gb hard drive (RAID array not
    set up and never will be)
    - AMD Athlon Gforce 8400 64 X2 4200+ Toledo 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket
    939 Processor
    - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
    - Corsair 620W PSU
    - Ballistix 2x1G RAM, 184-pin DIMM, 128MX64 DDR PC3200, Unbuffered
    - NORCO-4618 PCI-X / PCI eSATA / SATA II / SATA I Controller Card RAID
    0/1/5/10/JBOD

    The motherboard software installation disk says "VIA K8M890 Chipset Support
    CD Rev 289.01"

    Windows won't boot up if the motherboard disk isn't in my DVD drive.

    All of the programs that I'm trying to install worked when I had XP Pro x64
    installed. Since software and drivers were hard to get for XP Pro x64, I
    decided to install Vista x64.

    My main concern is to get the motherboard software installed. I have no
    audio because Realtek is on the motherboard disk. If I can get the
    motherboard software to install, I may be able to install some of the
    software that I can't install right now.

    In another thread, I mentioned that I need to install
    3124_vista_x64_logo_1.1.13.0 and SiI3726 Firmware and Firmware Update Utility
    for the NORCO-4618 Controller Card.

    Denise, Jul 1, 2008
  4. Denise

    Denise Guest

    Re: "Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer p

    If that's the case, then there is a definite problem. Asus has abandoned the
    A8V-VM SE Micro ATX motherboard and stopped making updates to it several
    years ago. It's an x64 motherboard and the motherboard installation disk

    Denise, Jul 1, 2008
  5. Denise

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    <> Denise wrote:

    >If that's the case, then there is a definite problem. Asus has abandoned
    >the
    >A8V-VM SE Micro ATX motherboard and stopped making updates to it several
    >years ago. It's an x64 motherboard and the motherboard installation disk
    >worked when I had XP Pro x64 installed.

    The down-load page is:

    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8V-VM SE

    Unfortunately Vista is conspicuous by its absence :-(

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 2, 2008
  6. Denise

    Denise Guest

    Re: "Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer p

    I you notice, the updates are from 2006 and 2007 so they're older than the
    files that I have on my installation CD, which won't run either. It used to
    when I had XP Pro x64 installed. Without that software, my ext hdds aren't
    recognized
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Jul 2, 2008
  7. Re: "Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer p

    > My main concern is to get the motherboard software installed. I have no
    > audio because Realtek is on the motherboard disk. If I can get the
    > motherboard software to install, I may be able to install some of the
    > software that I can't install right now.

    This should be correct - it will be futile to try and install anything at
    all untill the system CD that came with the motherboard/PC, has been
    installed. Sound and HD's and Graphics (and all subsystems) will not be
    expected upon to be reliable and this situation can trigger a lot of
    mysterious errors.

    I suggest that you start over from scratch - first, disconnect everything
    the machine doesn't need for booting. This means you keep the keyboard, the
    mouse (if it is PS2) and the graphics card. Keep one basic HD (preferably
    IDE) and one optical drive that is IDE ATAPI driven. Disconnect anything
    else!

    Press the power button and press the key to enter BIOS Setup. This interupts
    the boot process! Open the CD/DVD and insert the Windows Install Disk and
    close the drive. Exit BIOS (usually F10, or re-boot) Run through the basic
    installation (don't install any drivers by the F6 method) just a plain old
    vanilla installation on your newly crippled system.

    When Windows reboots the last time and the installation has finished, insert
    your system CD and install everything you know you'll need, if you become
    uncertain of something, install that too.

    When all is well, reboot and check that all the basic functionality of your
    installation works as expected - realizing that it is a basic installation
    on a crippled machine, and that you do not yet have anything fancy - then
    turn off the machine.

    Now you re-connect all the externals that you are going to need for your
    full and formal installation.

    You re-start Vista from the HD - with the install DVD in the drive and see
    if all your system isn't now recognized. If it isn't you should then make a
    Repair Install, but that is something else, we can go through that later if
    we need to. This may seem like a 'round-about' way to install, but if you
    have an older MB and modern devices, you must have an updated system running
    before you can get it to recognize all devices.

    Do this as described, and please report back and we shall all have a clean
    slate to start off from.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 2, 2008