Error 1706 why? Running Windows XP Home, Office 2003, Quicken 2004, Earthlink TotalAccess

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Patty Amas, Aug 17, 2004.

  1. Patty Amas

    Patty Amas Guest

    Have been pulling my hair out trying to help my senior citizen
    neighbor with Earthlink via Time Warner Cable running WiFi.
    Worked well for months until we installed Quicken 2004 on it.

    Then all of a sudden Earthlink Icons for taskpanl.exe AND the actual
    program itself would be deleted. This would cause a massive editing of
    the registry, hours of conversations to Earthlink and so on for
    reinstalls.

    Had it perfect for the 3rd time yesterday. Tried every program under
    the sun. Rebooted all was well. I left his house.

    Today the user went into Quicken from a cold boot. Made a few entries
    (no transmissions electronically with Quicken) and now is getting:

    Error 1706 "Feature on network resources not available" (Note he has
    only one PC connected via WifI on HP Laptop"

    Or he gets Error 1706 No valid source could be found.........install
    some .msi file and so on.... then at times he gets "The windows
    installer cannot continue"

    In the system tray are running ONLY Spyware Stormer and Norton
    AutoProtect (AV version 2003). Was running Sygate Firewall Pro but we
    thought that was causing the problem. XP firewall is not on. There is
    no virus or trojan ot spyware-have run TDS3, Norton and online
    scanners. Also run AdAware and Spybot.

    Thanks so much.
    Patty

    Patty Amas, Aug 17, 2004

  2. Patty Amas

    °Mike° Guest

    I suspect user error. Also, you should be aware that
    Spyware Stormer has a dubious advertising background,
    and I wouldn't recommend it's use. I would also
    recommend something other than Norton, which can
    cause more problems than it's supposed to prevent.

    Regarding the "No valid source could be found..."/.msi error,
    try using the Windows Installer cleanup utility.

    Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290301

    On 17 Aug 2004 15:11:36 -0700, in
    <>
    Patty Amas scrawled: