Error 1706 problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bill P, Oct 18, 2005.

  1. Bill P

    Bill P Guest

    I have only had WinXP Home a couple of months and have just tried to view a
    video file (.avi) for the first time.
    When I double click the file, Windows Media Player opens up as expected but
    a pop up appears as follows :-

    "Please wait while Windows configures Document Viewer"

    I close that and another pops up

    "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk
    that is not available. Insert the Document Viewer disk and click OK"

    Don't have a disc so I close that one down

    Finally another pops up

    "Error 1706 No valid source could be found for product Document Viewer.
    Installer cannot continue."

    I close that one down and the whole process starts again. I have to close
    them two or sometimes three times before it gives up and I can watch the
    video file.

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Oct 18, 2005

  2. Bill P

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:45:39 +0100, Bill P wrote:

    >I have only had WinXP Home a couple of months and have just tried to view a
    >video file (.avi) for the first time.
    >When I double click the file, Windows Media Player opens up as expected but
    >a pop up appears as follows :-
    >
    >"Please wait while Windows configures Document Viewer"
    >
    >I close that and another pops up
    >
    >"The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk
    >that is not available. Insert the Document Viewer disk and click OK"
    >
    >Don't have a disc so I close that one down
    >
    >Finally another pops up
    >
    >"Error 1706 No valid source could be found for product Document Viewer.
    >Installer cannot continue."

    <snip>

    www.google.com , please please please you aren't the only person seeing
    this type of error messge.

    The basic error message, which seems to be quite common is -

    Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product <product name>

    A few of the links mention turning on the MSI installer log file, try
    that.

    AppDeploy.com > Windows Installer Reference > MSI Error 1706
    Windows Installer Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product
    [2]. ... 1) Check the Application Log in Event Viewer (eventvwr.exe).
    www.appdeploy.com/faq/msi_errors/detail.asp?id=127 - 24k - Cached -
    Similar pages

    Q107140 ERRDOC: Windows Installer Error 1706
    ERRDOC: Windows Installer Error 1706. Document ID: Q107140 Last Revised
    On: Wednesday, ... Error -1706: No valid source could be found for
    product [2] ...
    http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q107140 - 9k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that ...
    View products that this article applies to. ... Error 1706. No valid
    source could be found for product Office 2000 product . The Windows
    installer cannot ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;258847&ID=KB;EN-US;258847
    - Similar pages

    Windows Installer prompts you for an Office 2000 CD, or you ...
    View products that this article applies to. ... Error 1706. No valid
    source could be found for product Microsoft Office 2000 edition . ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q298385 -
    Similar pages
    [ More results from support.microsoft.com ]

    Aaron Stebner's WebLog : Issues I've seen so far with installing ...
    NET Framework (English) -- Error 1706.No valid source could be found for
    product Microsoft .NET Framework (English). The Windows installer cannot
    continue. ...
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2004/09/20/232236.aspx - 38k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    adding XP in from the the error message

    xp Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product <product name>

    Service packs, updates, and security patches may require the ...
    .... the Office XP CD-ROM. View products that this article applies to.
    .... Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product Microsoft
    Office XP. ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=828451 - Similar pages

    Me

    why?, Oct 18, 2005

  3. Bill P

    Bill P Guest

    > adding XP in from the the error message
    >
    > xp Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product <product name>
    >
    > Service packs, updates, and security patches may require the ...
    > ... the Office XP CD-ROM. View products that this article applies to.
    > ... Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product Microsoft
    > Office XP. ...
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=828451 - Similar pages
    >

    > Me

    Most of that is gobbledegook to me.
    How do you turn on the MSI installer log file ?

    Bill P, Oct 18, 2005
  4. Bill P

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 21:50:26 +0100, Bill P wrote:

    >> adding XP in from the the error message
    >>
    >> xp Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product <product name>
    >>
    >> Service packs, updates, and security patches may require the ...
    >> ... the Office XP CD-ROM. View products that this article applies to.
    >> ... Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product Microsoft
    >> Office XP. ...
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=828451 - Similar pages
    >>

    >> Me

    >Most of that is gobbledegook to me.
    >How do you turn on the MSI installer log file ?

    It may well be but you have to read the full articles,a lot of it in
    non-techy, 1st of the previous posted links.

    http://www.appdeploy.com/faq/msi_errors/detail.asp?id=127
    at the end it says.

    Look to your logs for more detail on just what file has been deemed
    unavailable:

    1) Check the Application Log in Event Viewer (eventvwr.exe).

    2) See our tip on turning on Windows Installer logging here. Once
    logging is enabled, attempt to launch the program again and look in your
    %TEMP% folder for the installer log file. You will see the path and
    filename for the problem file here (search for "ERROR").

    The 2nd URL has that error for a specific utility, however the error is
    http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q107140
    a fairly generic message

    Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product <product name>

    So although it's for InstallSheild, it talks about file locations of the
    setup files and permissions I thought . It also looked like there was a
    link to a Microsoft page of error codes.

    This 3rd link to a MS article, for NT/2000 often have links to XP
    versions of the same articles.

    The next MS one, is as you see for Office 2000. Again, it's the <product
    name> bit is different but the basic info for the generic part of the
    message may still apply.

    The link to the blog , it's for installing MS framework the person saw
    the error, is there more info in other posts.

    The last link for XP.

    The common theme is installing , source of setup files , local or
    network (internet) location.

    You are running an app, they may or may not be trying to access a disk /
    internet. Could be permissions, install media, firewall , some popup
    blocker, anti-spyware stopping media player downloading anything.

    Also try and find out what document viewer is, I don't use XP much as a
    normal OS, only networking and shared storage.

    I am starting to feel like I am back at work, handing out ABC's :)

    Maybe you have installed some software and it taken over the media file
    formats. You could try running Media Player and looking for an option to
    take control of media types. It will of course take thoe from any other
    app you may have preferred to use. As a test do it anyway.

    Me

    why?, Oct 18, 2005
  5. Bill P

    finshman44

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    I think it was Registry error. if you don't know how to fix it, you can use Registry clean tools.
    you need scan you pc first, maybe check over 300 errors.

    http://www.pcerrorsfixer.com this site have a PC Registry Cleaners Review, you can try one or download here.

    finshman44, Nov 12, 2007
  6. Bill P

    TMar

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    I had the same error coming up. I uninstalled my printer and reinstalled software per printer instructions. No more error 1709!

    TMar, Jan 5, 2008