Error 14103

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lQ3VyaW91cw==?=, Nov 16, 2006.

  1. My Windows XP SP2 laptop generates connectivity without trouble if I turn on
    the LAN switch before I start the PC. However, If I switch on wireless LAN
    after my system finishes booting, Tcpip event 4201 repeats several times in
    the event viewer and the wireless connection icon in the icon tray blinks
    with the red X then no X repeatedly, and after approx. 10 blinking Xs then no
    X, finally fully connects.

    In the midst of the improper connection redundancy described above, error
    14103 also appears in the event viewer, which says: QoS [Adapter
    {F2105C4E-8A54-4423-A712-6F9BB97AD289}]: The netcard driver failed the query
    for OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED.

    I went to the help and support link provided in event properties box for the
    14103 event, the details of which are as follows: Product: Windows Operating
    System
    Event ID: 14103 Source: PSched Version: 5.0 Component: System Event Log
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_PS_QUERY_OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED Message: QoS [Adapter %2]:
    The netcard driver failed the query for OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED.

    The rest of the help and support message says:
    Explanation
    This event record indicates a serious problem.
    User Action
    Contact your technical support group or the Microsoft Product Support
    Services. Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available
    for this specific error or event message.

    Since the help and support message says this issue is serious, I am hoping
    to find a solution, instead of just ignoring the problem and switching on the
    LAN before I switch the PC on. Can anyone advise?

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lQ3VyaW91cw==?=, Nov 16, 2006

  2. Hi
    As a first step I would suggest that you should log to the Laptop (Wireless
    Card) support site and make sure that you Laptop and Wireless card are
    functioning with the latest BIOS and drivers. If necessary upgrade the
    system.
    Otherwise try to reinstall the Wireless drivers, and make sure that Windows
    Zero Configuration and the Wireless Card original Utility are running
    together. ( My New Wireless does not work -
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html ).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 16, 2006

  3. Thank you sir.

    I have done as you suggested, both with Sony regarding wireless driver
    updates for my Sony model, and with Intel for the 2100 LAN adapter that came
    with my Sony. The Intel driver for the OEM wireless network adapter on this
    PC is now updated to Intel's latest (August 2006) driver for this adapter.

    I noticed on the Windows marketplace website that my adapter has only a
    half-star consumer rating out of five stars, so it sounds like your upgrade
    suggestion might be best. However, I am a little short on cash right now, so
    I would like to try your other no-cost suggestion as a possible short-term
    solution.

    That is, could you possibly give me a quick tip on how to make sure Windows
    Zero Configuration and the Wireless Card original Utility are running
    together? Is there a straight forward system check (for computer dummies
    like me) that will show me whether the configuration is right?

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lQ3VyaW91cw==?=, Nov 16, 2006
  4. Hi

    Look at this link, down load the program and run it,
    http://www.ezlan.net/infestation#process

    You would see whether there is Processes generated by Windows Wireless and
    others generated by an application that probably would be related
    Wireless/network and would be under the company name of your computer
    manufacturer or Wireless card or chipset manufacturer.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 17, 2006
  5. Thanks. I'll check it out.

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lQ3VyaW91cw==?=, Nov 17, 2006