error 12007 - loss of internet connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by KClookalike, Jul 19, 2008.

  1. KClookalike

    KClookalike Guest

    I'm running XP-SP2 with IE 7.0 and have internet connection through a
    wireless network. When I start up everything is working fine and I get a good
    wireless connection (54Mbps). However after after some time I cannot access
    the internet anymore, Windows error 12007 and when I look into the logfile it
    mentions error with the "Winsock provider". I still have the wireless
    connection but IE will not work anymore. Need to restart to get it working
    again

    I have done the following but problem still persists;

    * Resetted and updated moden and router software
    * Disabled Windows firewall (still running McAfee)

    Can anyone give me some direction on how to resolve this issue which from
    what I have read in various posts might be software (Windows ? ) related.
    Just do not know how to tackle this problem.

    Thanks
    KClookalike, Jul 19, 2008

  2. KClookalike

    Pavel A. Guest

    Have you tried to "repair" connection (right click on the connetcion icon ->
    repair) ?

    After this error occurs, can you use other internet programs?
    ( Skype, messenger, etc.)

    Btw, error 12007 is ERROR_INTERNET_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED (in wininet.h)

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Jul 20, 2008

  3. Posting back the result of ipconfig /all may help. Or check this post.

    Can’t access Internet with error 12007
    http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=4573

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jul 20, 2008
  4. KClookalike

    KClookalike Guest

    The loss of internet connection is due to a winsock error. When I do reset
    the winsock settings and reboot everything does work fine again.

    However I keep having this problem returning. I have a good working
    connection and during downloading after a while do loose the connection
    again. I did already the following without much luck ;

    1) updated my modem and wireless card software
    2) disabled Windows XP firewall (still running McAfee)

    What is the right approach to prevent this winsock error from happening
    again ?

    Thanks for your help

    KClookalike, Jul 25, 2008
  5. KClookalike