erratic signal

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by geepeetee, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. geepeetee

    geepeetee Guest

    Hi

    I am trying to set up a network between my laptop and desktop but have been
    having problems.

    I think it may be the signal that is the problem, my desktop has a pci
    dlink card and shows an excellent signal strength when connected but my
    laptop (dlink pcmcia card) shows erratic signal strengths.

    If i place my mouse over the icon on the taskbar to show strength i can keep
    the laptop in the same place (very close to the card antenna) roll over the
    icon and show no signal and roll over again and show excellent, rolling back
    over will show no or very low signal (which it seems to be most of the time.

    The sent and received for both computers is similar, over a 20 minute period
    sent is 1500 to 2000 but received is only 15 (ish).

    Would this suggest a problem with one or both cards and what can i do about
    it.

    thanks

    Gary
    visit our website at www.justjents.co.uk
    geepeetee, Apr 13, 2005

  2. #1. Do you have any issues with the network connectivity? i.e., are you
    consistently connected to the network even though the icon shows erratic
    wireless signals?
    #2. If the wireless on desktop has good signal strength and the wireless on
    your laptop does not have a good network connection, it could be a problem
    with your driver. You might want to update the driver for the pcmcia card.

    Usually the signal strength is dependent on many factors and it matters the
    most when there is no signal strength and no network connectivity as well.
    But there is nothing much to worry if you have good network connectivity but
    the signal strength seems erratic.

    Anusha

    Anusha Dandapani[MSFT], Apr 14, 2005

  3. geepeetee

    geepeetee Guest

    Thanks for your advice.....

    #1 Yes both machines are constantly connected.

    #2 Both pcs have a good connection and are sending packets but neither or
    hardly receiving. Typical figures for both machines are: sent probably 1800
    (over perhaps 15 minutes), received 1 or 2, over same period. Neither
    machines loose the connection but i cannot view internet or shared folders

    thanks again

    Gary

    geepeetee, Apr 15, 2005
  4. If you are not receiving packets, you do not have network connectivity.
    Since the problem exists on both your machines, it should either be a
    problem with the Access point you are using (could possibly be a problem
    with the backend internet connection as well if you are unable to reach the
    internet). I suggest you consult your AccessPoint(AP) documentation to check
    the AP configuration.

    Anusha

    Anusha Dandapani[MSFT], Apr 18, 2005