Errata: MCTS 70-536, Self-Paced Training Kit, 3rd print (chapters 1-7)

Discussion in 'MCTS' started by Zimri, Mar 27, 2007.

  1. Zimri

    Zimri Guest

    ERRATA MCTS 70-536, Self-Paced Training Kit (3rd Print)

    These are the errors which I have thus far found in my copy of the
    Northrup-Wildermuth-Ryan text, which I could not find in the official
    errata list at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923018/en-us.

    (Chapters 1-7)

    Ch.1
    L.3
    42: in VB section, gb & ob should be gc & oc.
    [To match text.]

    Ch.2
    L.1
    78: for Filter property, for "which file changes" read "which file
    names".
    [ref: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.filesystemwatcher.aspx]

    L.2
    110: for "NewFile" read "newFile".
    [To keep with standard.]

    Ch.3
    L.2
    173: for "Values 0 through 127 use 8-bit encoding" read "Values 0
    through 127 use 7-bit encoding".
    [Either that or else help us understand what that 8th bit is for...
    plus/minus can't be it, can it?]

    Ch.4
    L.3
    213: for "the hash of "First" is the same as "First"" - ?
    [This paragraph didn't make any more sense after that. Append comments
    about making a hash of it, or about excessive smoking of same, at
    will.]

    L.4
    229: in #5 VB section, first "Vector" should be "vector".
    [To keep with standard.]

    Ch.5
    L.2
    293: in XmlArrayItem attribute, for "XmlArrayAttribute" read "XmlArray
    attribute".
    [All the code I could find linked the two, and did not bother with the
    XmlArrayAttribute class in this context. This looks like a printer's
    error.]

    Ch.7
    L.1
    Almost every VB section has a "ThreadStart(Method)" line, or
    "ParameterizedThreadStart(Method)". They should be
    ThreadStart(AddressOf Method), as per the Lab p. 384.
    [Or else the Lab is wrong. Either way we need a standard and an
    explanation.]

    L.3
    424,427: in VB section, "Time.Infinite" read "Timeout.Infinite".
    [A quick Google revealed this soon enough.]

    -- Zimri
    Zimri, Mar 27, 2007

  2. Zimri

    Zimri Guest

    On Mar 26, 6:10 pm, "Zimri" <> wrote:
    > ERRATA MCTS 70-536, Self-Paced Training Kit (3rd Print)
    >
    > These are the errors which I have thus far found in my copy of the
    > Northrup-Wildermuth-Ryan text, which I could not find in the official
    > errata list athttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/923018/en-us.

    I see that the errata list has, since my last posting, been split into
    two pages. What I am not seeing on that first page, yet, are fixes for
    pp. 78, 293 which I reported here. But then, my errata are all about
    Printing 3, not 1.

    Some errata for the prior errata: I had missed chapter 6. This covers
    Chapters 6, 10-11, and 13-14.
    Most of that I have crosschecked with the new Page Two Errata,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935218/.

    Although unstandard depictions are rampant, e.g. of "string" versus
    "String", I am not going to complain about them unless they cause
    confusion or else lead to bad naming conventions of variables and
    objects.

    Also I am calling upon all of you to ferret out and denounce first-
    printings of this book. At one Barnes & Noble near where I live, I
    found two copies with "1 2 3" in the copyright page and three more
    with "2 3 4". I sent the former two to the front desk and told them
    that they were setting themselves up for book returns and complaints.
    Yes it is bad if people get certs which they don't deserve; but it is
    also bad if deserving people don't get certs (or screw up at work!)
    because they were led astray by the only textbook currently available.

    My biggest complaint so far with this book has to be the nonstandard
    treatment of attributes.

    Ch.6

    L.3

    350: object names F, G, Converter should read as lowercased across VB
    and C# examples.

    [To keep with standard.]

    In this chapter, confusion on how VB is to handle empty constructors.

    For instance, in p. 350:

    Dim Converter As FontConverter = New FontConverter

    but

    FontConverter converter = new FontConverter();

    Ch.10

    L.2

    575: for "Company" read "company" in VB and C# both.

    575-581: Attributes are handled in a nonstandard fashion throughout
    this book. In Ch.5 they were in a table, as attributes; and here in Ch.
    10 they are in subchapters, as attribute classes.

    In L.2, each attribute has a subchapter heading "Debugger*Attribute",
    referring to the attribute class. For instance,
    "DebuggerBrowsableAttribute".

    However then the text says:

    "Stop debugging, go back to the private members of the class, add the
    DebuggerBrowsableAttribute,...".

    And the code itself, when using an attribute, demands this (and I've
    tested it):

    [DebuggerBrowsable(DebuggerBrowsableState.Never)]

    private String _companyName

    DebuggerBrowsableAttribute refers to the "attribute class", and it
    shouldn't be confused with how you code its instance as an attribute
    to some other expression. Since we are not getting into the attribute
    class structure: the book should be giving us just the attributes and
    maybe footnoting that there is such a class structure, so as not to
    confuse us. (At Ch.5 / L.2, the attributes could refer to more
    attributes themselves; but it didn't confuse us except for the typo at
    p. 293 with the XmlArray attribute.)

    Compare 14.2, p.843; there, the subchapter heading still says
    "Assembly*Attribute" but the text refers to the attribute, not to the
    class.

    579-580: "ShouldIgnore" should be "shouldIgnore".

    583: "DemoTrace" should be "demoTrace".

    L.3

    597: "AllProcesses", "Current", "Problem"... you know.

    These conventions persist throughout L.3 and L.4.

    602: Is there a reason the VB section is .Delete("DemoCategory\") and
    the C#, .Delete("DemoCategory")?

    605: first code example, for

    Dim Info as New ProcessStartInfo()

    read

    Dim info As New ProcessStartInfo()

    second code example, these lines are redundant for the String
    parameter overload:

    Dim Info as New ProcessStartInfo()

    ProcessStartInfo Info = new ProcessStartInfo()

    L.4

    620: missing () in VB.

    Dim DemoQuery As New EventQuery

    but

    EventQuery DemoQuery = new EventQuery();

    Also, if the code were a more exact translation, VB would be:

    Dim DemoQuery As EventQuery = New EventQuery()

    Ch.11

    L.2

    663: for

    [assembly:FileIOPermissionAttribute(SecurityAction...)

    read

    [assembly:FileIOPermission(SecurityAction...)

    665: The same applies. It is easy to spot in contrast with the
    (correct) handling of the PrintingPermission and UIPermission
    attributes right above.

    Ch.13

    L.3

    815: for "Layout.Sequential" subchapter heading read
    "LayoutKind.Sequential"

    816: for "Layout.Explicit" subchapter heading read
    "LayoutKind.Explicit"

    [These actually HAVE been errata'ed, but not in Printing 3.]

    Ch.14

    L.1

    836-837, 839: in VB code, for "[Module]" read "Module"

    -- Zimri
    Zimri, Apr 3, 2007