ergh... trademe nightmare

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steve, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi all,

    Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now that
    he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard (Asus
    P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that had
    been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as a
    computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
    carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:

    > Hi Steve,
    > I took ever amount of care possible while installing the motherboard,
    > but I havn't maganged to get it working. I plug it it. The Greenlight
    > appears
    > when I plug it in, and when I turn it on the keyboard lights flash and the
    > CPU fan and my Box fans start spinning and the harddrive turns on, but
    > nothing appears on the screen and no sounds can be hear. I have tried more
    > than
    > one graphic card, and I have tried unpluging everything, so only the
    > graphic card and the power is plugged in yet nothing.
    > Please advise on what we are to do from here.

    So, obviously I want him to be able to get them going. If he can't I guess
    I'll have to refund his money, which I'm not so keen on, I lose $ and get
    some expensive junk back in return. So what sort of problems could be
    causing this. Bare in mind that I only supplied the Mobo, CPU and RAM.
    Everything else is his. I've suggested the usual suspects to him, such as
    making sure everything is seated properly (although I'd expect an error beep
    in that case), so any advice on what to try would be much appreciated.
    Also out of interest, I will refund his money if the components turn out to
    be dead, but where do other people stand in this situation?

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Steve, Oct 27, 2005

  2. Steve

    EMB Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now that
    > he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard (Asus
    > P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that had
    > been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as a
    > computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
    > carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:

    Check the PSU he's using is up to the power requirements - and he has
    got a P4 PSU with the extra 4 pin connector hasn't he.

    Check the clear CMOS jumper is correctly set/hasn't fallen off - I've
    had a couple of boards that play dodo when that happens.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 27, 2005

  3. Steve

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <djq4r2$hlc$>, says...
    > Steve wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now that
    > > he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard (Asus
    > > P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that had
    > > been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as a
    > > computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
    > > carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:

    > Check the PSU he's using is up to the power requirements - and he has
    > got a P4 PSU with the extra 4 pin connector hasn't he.
    >
    > Check the clear CMOS jumper is correctly set/hasn't fallen off - I've
    > had a couple of boards that play dodo when that happens.

    Or even that maybe he's jumpered the reset! - or... his reset button is
    stuck in (just somethin' that happenned to me years ago).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 27, 2005
  4. Steve

    SteveM Guest

    "Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net DOT nz> wrote in

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now
    > that he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a
    > motherboard (Asus P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4
    > 2.53Ghz) combo that had been working fine for me while I was using it.
    > In a past life I worked as a computer tech, so I know how to handle
    > computer parts and packed them carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's
    > what he had to say:
    >
    >> Hi Steve,
    >> I took ever amount of care possible while installing the
    >> motherboard,
    >> but I havn't maganged to get it working. I plug it it. The Greenlight
    >> appears
    >> when I plug it in, and when I turn it on the keyboard lights flash
    >> and the CPU fan and my Box fans start spinning and the harddrive
    >> turns on, but nothing appears on the screen and no sounds can be
    >> hear. I have tried more than
    >> one graphic card, and I have tried unpluging everything, so only the
    >> graphic card and the power is plugged in yet nothing.
    >> Please advise on what we are to do from here.

    > So, obviously I want him to be able to get them going. If he can't I
    > guess I'll have to refund his money, which I'm not so keen on, I lose
    > $ and get some expensive junk back in return. So what sort of problems
    > could be causing this. Bare in mind that I only supplied the Mobo, CPU
    > and RAM. Everything else is his. I've suggested the usual suspects to
    > him, such as making sure everything is seated properly (although I'd
    > expect an error beep in that case), so any advice on what to try would
    > be much appreciated. Also out of interest, I will refund his money if
    > the components turn out to be dead, but where do other people stand in
    > this situation?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Steve

    If the Mb has onboard video get him to use that first.
    Make sure he is using an AGP video card with the correct AGP version
    i.e. 4x 8x, not 1x or 2x.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Oct 27, 2005
  5. Steve

    Not Dave Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 21:50:32 +1300, "Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net
    DOT nz> growled these words from under a rock:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now that
    >he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard (Asus
    >P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that had
    >been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as a
    >computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
    >carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:
    >
    >> Hi Steve,
    >> I took ever amount of care possible while installing the motherboard,
    >> but I havn't maganged to get it working. I plug it it. The Greenlight
    >> appears
    >> when I plug it in, and when I turn it on the keyboard lights flash and the
    >> CPU fan and my Box fans start spinning and the harddrive turns on, but
    >> nothing appears on the screen and no sounds can be hear. I have tried more
    >> than
    >> one graphic card, and I have tried unpluging everything, so only the
    >> graphic card and the power is plugged in yet nothing.
    >> Please advise on what we are to do from here.

    >So, obviously I want him to be able to get them going. If he can't I guess
    >I'll have to refund his money, which I'm not so keen on, I lose $ and get
    >some expensive junk back in return. So what sort of problems could be
    >causing this. Bare in mind that I only supplied the Mobo, CPU and RAM.
    >Everything else is his. I've suggested the usual suspects to him, such as
    >making sure everything is seated properly (although I'd expect an error beep
    >in that case), so any advice on what to try would be much appreciated.
    >Also out of interest, I will refund his money if the components turn out to
    >be dead, but where do other people stand in this situation?

    It'll most likely be his power supply. Check the wattage and brand,
    and whether it is suitable (ie extra PSU power connector).

    In regards to it not working, whilst it's a real bitch of a situation,
    you really should refund it. It's not really fair, but the options are
    limited.

    Not Dave, Oct 27, 2005
  6. Steve

    EMB Guest

    Not Dave wrote:

    > In regards to it not working, whilst it's a real bitch of a situation,
    > you really should refund it. It's not really fair, but the options are
    > limited.

    And if you do refund it, but it turns out to work, I might be interested
    in buying it (as of about 5 minutes ago when one of the boxes here let
    it's smoke go).

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 27, 2005
  7. Steve

    XP Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now that
    >he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard (Asus
    >P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that had
    >been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as a
    >computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
    >carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:
    >
    >> Hi Steve,
    >> I took ever amount of care possible while installing the motherboard,
    >> but I havn't maganged to get it working. I plug it it. The Greenlight
    >> appears
    >> when I plug it in, and when I turn it on the keyboard lights flash and the
    >> CPU fan and my Box fans start spinning and the harddrive turns on, but
    >> nothing appears on the screen and no sounds can be hear. I have tried more
    >> than
    >> one graphic card, and I have tried unpluging everything, so only the
    >> graphic card and the power is plugged in yet nothing.
    >> Please advise on what we are to do from here.

    >So, obviously I want him to be able to get them going. If he can't I guess
    >I'll have to refund his money, which I'm not so keen on, I lose $ and get
    >some expensive junk back in return. So what sort of problems could be
    >causing this. Bare in mind that I only supplied the Mobo, CPU and RAM.
    >Everything else is his. I've suggested the usual suspects to him, such as
    >making sure everything is seated properly (although I'd expect an error beep
    >in that case), so any advice on what to try would be much appreciated.
    >Also out of interest, I will refund his money if the components turn out to
    >be dead, but where do other people stand in this situation?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Steve

    This is a normal problem, its the same with a car Radio, if its not installed
    by a approved Tech the warrantee is Void..

    Ask him to get a shop to install it all.

    This should have been the condition of the sale, as this covers you from
    idiots..

    XP, Oct 27, 2005
  8. Steve

    graviton Guest

    "XP" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 21:50:32 +1300, "Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net DOT

    nz>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all,
    > >
    > >Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now

    that
    > >he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard

    (Asus
    > >P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that had
    > >been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as

    > >computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
    > >carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:
    > >
    > >> Hi Steve,
    > >> I took ever amount of care possible while installing the motherboard,
    > >> but I havn't maganged to get it working. I plug it it. The Greenlight
    > >> appears
    > >> when I plug it in, and when I turn it on the keyboard lights flash and

    the
    > >> CPU fan and my Box fans start spinning and the harddrive turns on, but
    > >> nothing appears on the screen and no sounds can be hear. I have tried

    more
    > >> than
    > >> one graphic card, and I have tried unpluging everything, so only the
    > >> graphic card and the power is plugged in yet nothing.
    > >> Please advise on what we are to do from here.

    > >So, obviously I want him to be able to get them going. If he can't I

    guess
    > >I'll have to refund his money, which I'm not so keen on, I lose $ and get
    > >some expensive junk back in return. So what sort of problems could be
    > >causing this. Bare in mind that I only supplied the Mobo, CPU and RAM.
    > >Everything else is his. I've suggested the usual suspects to him, such as
    > >making sure everything is seated properly (although I'd expect an error

    beep
    > >in that case), so any advice on what to try would be much appreciated.
    > >Also out of interest, I will refund his money if the components turn out

    > >be dead, but where do other people stand in this situation?
    > >
    > >Cheers,
    > >
    > >Steve
    > >

    > This is a normal problem, its the same with a car Radio, if its not

    installed
    > by a approved Tech the warrantee is Void..
    >
    > Ask him to get a shop to install it all.
    >
    > This should have been the condition of the sale, as this covers you from
    > idiots..

    You could ask him what precautions he took when handling the hardware, if he
    did not handle things in a safe way then you can hardly be held accountable
    if the hardware is now faulty, of course if you did not take the correct
    precautions then the same applies, I know there are a hell of a lot of
    cowboys out there when it comes to computer hardware installations and some
    of them work in computer stores. It's always put me off buying 2ndhand
    parts, I assume if the person does not make a point of how he handle them
    then he does not understand the importance and therefore likely did not
    handle them correctly even if he knows what you are suppose to do, this is
    the problem with knowing things but not knowing the why.

    graviton, Oct 27, 2005
  9. Steve

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:45:12 +1300, "graviton" <> wrote:

    >"XP" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 21:50:32 +1300, "Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net DOT

    >nz>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi all,
    >> >
    >> >Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now

    >that
    >> >he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard

    >(Asus
    >> >P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that had
    >> >been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as

    >> >computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
    >> >carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:

    >the

    >more
    >> >
    >> >So, obviously I want him to be able to get them going. If he can't I

    >guess
    >> >I'll have to refund his money, which I'm not so keen on, I lose $ and get
    >> >some expensive junk back in return. So what sort of problems could be
    >> >causing this. Bare in mind that I only supplied the Mobo, CPU and RAM.
    >> >Everything else is his. I've suggested the usual suspects to him, such as
    >> >making sure everything is seated properly (although I'd expect an error

    >beep
    >> >in that case), so any advice on what to try would be much appreciated.
    >> >Also out of interest, I will refund his money if the components turn out

    >> >be dead, but where do other people stand in this situation?
    >> >
    >> >Cheers,
    >> >
    >> >Steve
    >> >

    >> This is a normal problem, its the same with a car Radio, if its not

    >installed
    >> by a approved Tech the warrantee is Void..
    >>
    >> Ask him to get a shop to install it all.
    >>
    >> This should have been the condition of the sale, as this covers you from
    >> idiots..
    >>

    >You could ask him what precautions he took when handling the hardware, if he
    >did not handle things in a safe way then you can hardly be held accountable
    >if the hardware is now faulty, of course if you did not take the correct
    >precautions then the same applies, I know there are a hell of a lot of
    >cowboys out there when it comes to computer hardware installations and some
    >of them work in computer stores. It's always put me off buying 2ndhand
    >parts, I assume if the person does not make a point of how he handle them
    >then he does not understand the importance and therefore likely did not
    >handle them correctly even if he knows what you are suppose to do, this is
    >the problem with knowing things but not knowing the why.

    The other problem that get missed is the CMos battery, in my mind these
    should be removed before you install the MoBo in the case, as its possible
    that the solder contacts on the back of the board can short to other bits via
    the metal case and blow them up..

    XP, Oct 27, 2005
  10. Steve

    Fran Guest

    "Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net DOT nz> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now
    > that he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard
    > (Asus P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that
    > had been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked
    > as a computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
    > carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:
    >
    >> Hi Steve,
    >> I took ever amount of care possible while installing the motherboard,
    >> but I havn't maganged to get it working. I plug it it. The Greenlight
    >> appears
    >> when I plug it in, and when I turn it on the keyboard lights flash and
    >> the CPU fan and my Box fans start spinning and the harddrive turns on,
    >> but nothing appears on the screen and no sounds can be hear. I have tried
    >> more than
    >> one graphic card, and I have tried unpluging everything, so only the
    >> graphic card and the power is plugged in yet nothing.
    >> Please advise on what we are to do from here.

    Pop every card out including the RAM.
    Leave just the PSU, CPU and keyboard.
    Does it do the long BEEP's?

    Fran
    :):):)

    Fran, Oct 27, 2005
  11. Steve

    Fran Guest

    XP wrote:
    > This is a normal problem, its the same with a car Radio, if its not
    > installed
    > by a approved Tech the warrantee is Void..
    >
    > Ask him to get a shop to install it all.
    >
    > This should have been the condition of the sale, as this covers you from
    > idiots..

    I had a client once who wanted a cdrom drive supplied and installed but
    didn't want to pay me to install it.
    He said an approved tech installed it.
    Alarm bells!
    Approved by whom?
    I hadn't approved any tech to work on equipment I supplied and was
    warranteeeeing.

    It didn't work and I had to go around and fix it for free and later found
    that he'd installed it himself.

    Fran
    :):):)

    Fran, Oct 27, 2005
  12. Steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and
    >> now that he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a
    >> motherboard (Asus P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4
    >> 2.53Ghz) combo that had been working fine for me while I was using
    >> it. In a past life I worked as a computer tech, so I know how to
    >> handle computer parts and packed them carefully for shipping.
    >> Anyway, here's what he had to say:

    > Check the PSU he's using is up to the power requirements - and he has
    > got a P4 PSU with the extra 4 pin connector hasn't he.

    That was my first thought too.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 28, 2005
  13. Steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Need some advice.

    <snip>

    Check his feedback, see that you're not being (fairly obviously) scammed.
    Next, do you think he's capable of assembling a PC from what you know of him
    via his emails?

    This is a tricky one. I've refunded before to protect my 100% positive
    feedback even when I was damn sure I wasn't at fault.

    As to the problem, I'd say, in order of probability, scam, PSU,
    incompetance, buyer's remorse.

    If it comes to it, tell him you'll refund him only after you get the goods
    back and are happy that he hasn't damaged them. <shrug> I don't know, as I
    said, a tricky one.

    Good luck with it.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 28, 2005
  14. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi all,

    Thanks for all the responses. Apparently the guy works as a computer tech
    and took necessary anti static precautions when installing the parts. We
    worked through all the suggestions made here and still no go. I've given him
    a couple of options, but baically it looks like I'll end up refunding his
    money.
    Thanks again.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Steve, Oct 28, 2005
  15. Steve

    Not Dave Guest

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:03:45 +1300, "Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net
    DOT nz> growled these words from under a rock:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Thanks for all the responses. Apparently the guy works as a computer tech
    >and took necessary anti static precautions when installing the parts. We
    >worked through all the suggestions made here and still no go. I've given him
    >a couple of options, but baically it looks like I'll end up refunding his
    >money.
    >Thanks again.

    I guess it's a claim against the courier, then.

    Not Dave, Oct 28, 2005
  16. Is the BIOS not set up correctly for his hardware?
    Is it set for AGP and he's using PCI.....that kind of thing?
    Has he set up his hard drive in the BIOS (could still be set for yours?)

    Otis

    Otis E Levator, Oct 28, 2005
  17. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "Otis E Levator" <> wrote in message
    > Is the BIOS not set up correctly for his hardware?
    > Is it set for AGP and he's using PCI.....that kind of thing?
    > Has he set up his hard drive in the BIOS (could still be set for yours?)
    >
    > Otis

    The BIOS would be set to auto detect the HDD, but he has cleared it anyway.
    Also, it's not even getting that far. Nothing on the screen at all.

    Cheers.

    Steve, Oct 28, 2005
  18. Steve

    S Roby Guest

    >been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as a
    >computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them

    blah blah
    >some expensive junk back in return. So what sort of problems could be
    >causing this. Bare in mind that I only supplied the Mobo, CPU and RAM.

    if you used to be a PC tech, why dont know common faults & causes
    (Im not just being an asshole, just wondering)
    I would get him send it back & retest it & go from there BEFORE GIVING ANY
    REFUND.
    some common things to look for
    The brass 'stand off''s (where the m/b screws down onto) may be need to be
    shifted for your board, so there may be one under the board shorting it
    Could be as simple keybord & mouse in wroing sockets (seen this many a time
    causing similar faults)
    Also ram, vid card etc not plugged in properly
    Cheap power supply can put out a lot of spikes on the output even when new.
    Front button connectors connected to wrong pins

    Anyway, parts can just go faulty, may be a coincidence that it just failed
    now, especially if the caps were bad (has the bad cap symptoms)
    Pretty unlikley that it would be totalled by static, this is pretty
    rare(boards are designed to minimise static problems) & many Techs dont really
    follow antistaic procedures & have no problems

    Looking at it from his point of veiw there are alot of guys selling dodgy PC
    parts on trademe (not saying this is you thou..)

    S Roby, Oct 28, 2005
  19. Steve

    thingy Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <djq4r2$hlc$>, says...
    >
    >>Steve wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all,
    >>>
    >>>Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now that
    >>>he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard (Asus
    >>>P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that had
    >>>been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as a
    >>>computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
    >>>carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:

    >>Check the PSU he's using is up to the power requirements - and he has
    >>got a P4 PSU with the extra 4 pin connector hasn't he.
    >>
    >>Check the clear CMOS jumper is correctly set/hasn't fallen off - I've
    >>had a couple of boards that play dodo when that happens.

    > Or even that maybe he's jumpered the reset! - or... his reset button is
    > stuck in (just somethin' that happenned to me years ago).

    lol, I had this as well...........I had a dodgy reset button on a box,
    you pushed it in and it moved to one side and stayed in....the box
    rebooted constantly.....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Oct 28, 2005
  20. Steve

    thingy Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now that
    > he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard (Asus
    > P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that had
    > been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as a
    > computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
    > carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:
    >

    >>Hi Steve,
    >> I took ever amount of care possible while installing the motherboard,
    >>but I havn't maganged to get it working. I plug it it. The Greenlight
    >>appears
    >>when I plug it in, and when I turn it on the keyboard lights flash and the
    >>CPU fan and my Box fans start spinning and the harddrive turns on, but
    >>nothing appears on the screen and no sounds can be hear. I have tried more
    >>than
    >>one graphic card, and I have tried unpluging everything, so only the
    >>graphic card and the power is plugged in yet nothing.
    >>Please advise on what we are to do from here.

    > So, obviously I want him to be able to get them going. If he can't I guess
    > I'll have to refund his money, which I'm not so keen on, I lose $ and get
    > some expensive junk back in return. So what sort of problems could be
    > causing this. Bare in mind that I only supplied the Mobo, CPU and RAM.
    > Everything else is his. I've suggested the usual suspects to him, such as
    > making sure everything is seated properly (although I'd expect an error beep
    > in that case),

    If the ram was loose / not in you would get no bleep, ditto a buggered
    video card, mine did that last week....the bleep is quite late in the
    post process.

    so any advice on what to try would be much appreciated.
    > Also out of interest, I will refund his money if the components turn out to
    > be dead, but where do other people stand in this situation?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Steve

    I think a few ppl have mentioned the PSU....would be my chief suspect as
    well, not enough juice to kick it into life.....

    Other posibilities would be the ide cable reversed...that can cause this....

    Does he have a agp video card or a pci? it is possible the bios is
    "locked" to agp as the initial display so a pci card wont work. I dont
    think you would see this on such a new board though....Lx and Bx boards
    did it occasionally.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 28, 2005