    Nowhere Guest

    Is it best to Erase free disk space and then defrag? Or the other way
    around?
    Nowhere, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Nowhere

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Nowhere vaguely muttered something like ...
    > Is it best to Erase free disk space and then defrag? Or the other way
    > around?

    errr ... come again ... how can you 'erase' free disk space ?

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules !!!
    Paul - xxx, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Dumbkoff

    Do you not realise that he is alluding to cleaning free disc
    space.........stupiquido knuttir...use system mechanic.....clean deleted
    files etc from hard drive..as you call it free space and then defrag.
    Phew.........thought for a new adventure methinks, ms rawlings.

    --
    Ms Rawlings is not my mother, contrary to popular belief and folklore.

    Harold Potter esq., Nov 17, 2004
  4. Nowhere

    Old Gringo Guest

    Nowhere wrote:
    > Is it best to Erase free disk space and then defrag? Or the other way
    > around?

    Clean it up, scan it, defrag it. and do it often

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Old Gringo, Nov 17, 2004
  5. Nowhere

    Parko Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:39:51 +0000, Paul - xxx wrote:

    > Nowhere vaguely muttered something like ...
    >> Is it best to Erase free disk space and then defrag? Or the other way
    >> around?

    > errr ... come again ... how can you 'erase' free disk space ?

    When Windows deletes a file it just removes the set bits at the start of
    a file that flags to the OS the file's meta data, and that the file can be
    overwritten. The answer is I would defrag a Windows OS first, then erase
    the free disk space.
    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Parko, Nov 17, 2004
  6. Nowhere

    Old Gringo Guest

    Old Gringo, Nov 17, 2004
  7. Nowhere

    Plato Guest

    Nowhere wrote:

    > Is it best to Erase free disk space and then defrag? Or the other way
    > around?

    If you defrag files are moved and overwrite data on "freespace"
    Plato, Nov 18, 2004
  8. Nowhere

    Lance Boyle Guest

    In article <419d2337$0$96178$>, |@|.| says...
    > Nowhere wrote:
    > >
    > > Is it best to Erase free disk space and then defrag? Or the other way
    > > around?

    > If you defrag files are moved and overwrite data on "freespace"

    Wipe the free space first, then defrag.
    Lance Boyle, Nov 19, 2004