    adjustable in the range 0-40 ms.

    Thanks for any help.

    Peter

    Peter Thomsen, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Peter Thomsen

    Jay Beckman Guest

    "Peter Thomsen" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Where can I find a piece of equipment that can delay a RS422
    > connection?
    > Ideally the delay should only work one way i.e. the Tx should be
    > delayed and the Rx should not be delayed. The delay should be
    > adjustable in the range 0-40 ms.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Peter

    More Info Please?

    Why are you delaying the signal and for what purpose?

    Inquiring minds want to know...

    Jay In AZ

    Jay Beckman, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Peter Thomsen

    Alan N Guest

    In article <>,
    (Peter Thomsen) wrote:

    > Where can I find a piece of equipment that can delay a RS422
    > connection?
    > Ideally the delay should only work one way i.e. the Tx should be
    > delayed and the Rx should not be delayed. The delay should be
    > adjustable in the range 0-40 ms.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Peter

    Hmmm.. Me puzzled. Why???????

    Alan N, Dec 18, 2003
  4. In article <>,
    Alan N <> writes:
    > In article <>,
    > (Peter Thomsen) wrote:
    >
    >> Where can I find a piece of equipment that can delay a RS422
    >> connection?
    >> Ideally the delay should only work one way i.e. the Tx should be
    >> delayed and the Rx should not be delayed. The delay should be
    >> adjustable in the range 0-40 ms.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >> Peter

    > Hmmm.. Me puzzled. Why???????

    Indeed.
    Setting the bitrate to 200bits/sec will give you a 40ms delay
    for 8 bit characters. Higher bitrates will reduce this
    proportionally. Of course, this will vary the throughput as
    well as the transit delay, but without any clue why you want
    to do this, I've no idea if that matters.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel

    Andrew Gabriel, Dec 18, 2003
  5. (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in message news:<brs0ja$s9b$>...
    > In article <>,
    > Alan N <> writes:
    > > In article <>,
    > > (Peter Thomsen) wrote:
    > >
    > >> Where can I find a piece of equipment that can delay a RS422
    > >> connection?
    > >> Ideally the delay should only work one way i.e. the Tx should be
    > >> delayed and the Rx should not be delayed. The delay should be
    > >> adjustable in the range 0-40 ms.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any help.
    > >>
    > >> Peter

    > > Hmmm.. Me puzzled. Why???????

    > Indeed.
    > Setting the bitrate to 200bits/sec will give you a 40ms delay
    > for 8 bit characters. Higher bitrates will reduce this
    > proportionally. Of course, this will vary the throughput as
    > well as the transit delay, but without any clue why you want
    > to do this, I've no idea if that matters.

    Yes, I know it is a rather strange requirement.

    The matter is to align the command sent to a video switcher, with the
    play command send to a video server. This to make sure that the On-air
    transition from one programme to the next takes place without spurious
    pictures of one video frame.

    What I forgot to mention is that bit rate is 19.2 kbit/s or 38.4
    kbit/s

    Still hoping for useful hints.
    Peter

    Peter Thomsen, Dec 19, 2003
  6. Peter Thomsen wrote:
> [...]

    I recall that circuit designers sometimes use a long piece of wire to
    delay a signal a specific amount of time.

    I don't recall the formula, but I wonder how long the wire would need to
    be to delay the signal 40ms. I know that electricity travels through
    wires much slower than the speed of light, but I still suspect it may be
    too long. ;)

    -Z

    Zorin the Lynx, Dec 19, 2003
  7. In article <brvgsp$b0s$>, says...

    > I recall that circuit designers sometimes use a long piece of wire to
    > delay a signal a specific amount of time.

    Sometimes. I've seen memory made out of long hunks of coax cable.
    Launch a serial string at one end wait for it to come out the other and
    re-launch it. When the data of interest comes around take it or update
    the string.

    > I don't recall the formula, but I wonder how long the wire would need to
    > be to delay the signal 40ms. I know that electricity travels through
    > wires much slower than the speed of light, but I still suspect it may be
    > too long. ;)

    Most wire is about 50% slower than light or about 1.5ns per foot. Your
    40ms wire would be ~5000 miles long. ;-)

    --
    Keith

    Keith R. Williams, Dec 19, 2003

    > > In article <>,
    > > Alan N <> writes:

    > > > Hmmm.. Me puzzled. Why???????

    > > Indeed.
    > > Setting the bitrate to 200bits/sec will give you a 40ms delay
    > > for 8 bit characters. Higher bitrates will reduce this
    > > proportionally. Of course, this will vary the throughput as
    > > well as the transit delay, but without any clue why you want
    > > to do this, I've no idea if that matters.

    > Yes, I know it is a rather strange requirement.
    >
    > The matter is to align the command sent to a video switcher, with the
    > play command send to a video server. This to make sure that the On-air
    > transition from one programme to the next takes place without spurious
    > pictures of one video frame.
    >
    > What I forgot to mention is that bit rate is 19.2 kbit/s or 38.4
    > kbit/s
    >
    > Still hoping for useful hints.
    > Peter

    Peter, try posting your question to news://sci.engr.television.broadcast
    Someone there may be able to help.

    Cameron:)

    Cameron Dorrough, Dec 21, 2003
  9. "Cameron Dorrough" <> wrote in message news:<bs54gd$ro5$>...
    > "Peter Thomsen" <> wrote in message
    > > (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in message

    > > > Indeed.
    > > > Setting the bitrate to 200bits/sec will give you a 40ms delay
    > > > for 8 bit characters. Higher bitrates will reduce this
    > > > proportionally. Of course, this will vary the throughput as
    > > > well as the transit delay, but without any clue why you want
    > > > to do this, I've no idea if that matters.

    > > Yes, I know it is a rather strange requirement.
    > >
    > > The matter is to align the command sent to a video switcher, with the
    > > play command send to a video server. This to make sure that the On-air
    > > transition from one programme to the next takes place without spurious
    > > pictures of one video frame.
    > >
    > > What I forgot to mention is that bit rate is 19.2 kbit/s or 38.4
    > > kbit/s
    > >
    > > Still hoping for useful hints.
    > > Peter

    > Peter, try posting your question to news://sci.engr.television.broadcast
    > Someone there may be able to help.
    >
    > Cameron:)

    Thanks I will do that right away - Peter

    Peter Thomsen, Dec 23, 2003