Equipment that Vonage provides

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk, Sep 2, 2005.

  1. Guest

    On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 10:50:57 +0100, Andrew Hodgson <>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know whether the equipment Vonage provides is an ADSL
    >router or just an ATA? If the former, does it allow you to do such
    >things as disable NAT and configure static routes for usable IP
    >address ranges?

    Don't know about what Vonage provides but the Vonage enabled router
    which you buy from Staples £ 29.99 is a standared Linksys 3 port
    router with two phone ports which will do what you are suggesting
    above .

    , Sep 2, 2005

  2. Guest

    On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 16:47:17 +0100, Andrew Hodgson <>
    wrote:

    >Does this have an ADSL modem built-in?

    No
    > If not then can I configure
    >another device to use the Vonage CIP server?

    No with you here .
    > If so, is it just a
    >matter of putting in the username/password, and the server name?

    Our's is connected to the net via our network and router and I think I
    am correct in saying you do not have a username ect for Vonage you
    just plug a phone into a phone port and all should be well .
    The user name plus password is only for getting into your account on
    the web page .

    Hope this has helped providing I have understood you correctly .

    , Sep 2, 2005

  3. Guest

    On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 17:45:09 +0100, Andrew Hodgson <>
    wrote:
    >Did you mean that they don't use CIP?

    I am not into technical terms what do you mean by CIP Andrew .
    >Do you have any form of QOS (so that if necessary the router will
    >allocate less bandwidth to the PCs if a phonecall is taking place to
    >avoid causing dropouts etc?

    PROVIDING the equipment is between the cable or ADSL modem
    then yes ours isn't but do not have problems , we have a 2Mb adsl
    connection a download was taking place last night and coming down at
    over 200 a second and I made a call and there was no difference in
    quality. On the other hand I know from experience had I made the call
    via my Voiphone account there would have been a noticeable difference
    but nowhere near has bad has when I had the Sipgate accounts we just
    had to pause downloads when using Sipgate or wait until downloads had
    finished .

    , Sep 2, 2005
  4. Guest

    On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:05:51 +0100, Andrew Hodgson <>
    wrote:

    >Sorry my mistake - should have said Sip. Meaning if I buy an unlocked
    >router like the Draytek 2600, can I configure it to use Vonage using
    >the SIP settings in the router?

    I do not think you can use an ordinary router direct with Vonage they
    do not supply any settings at all you must use either the adapter they
    send to you or you buy the one I told you about which you then just
    connect it to your Drytek via a network port . The Linksys is
    configured for Vonage all you have to do is put in your network
    details .

    , Sep 2, 2005
  5. Guest

    On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:27:37 GMT, Thomas Rankin
    <> wrote:

    >Well, this is confusing, it's in their terms and conditions that you are
    >not allowed to use the service with a router that isn't provided by them.

    Well Thomas as far has I know there are no routers available in the UK
    that you can use with Vonage accounts other than the Linksys RT31P2
    which is pr configured and locked to Vonage available from Staples.
    BUT these is nothing to stop anyone linking this up to another router
    or even another 20 routers if you wish which is/are connected to a
    modem and out onto the net in that fashion .

    , Sep 2, 2005
  6. Guest

    On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 21:01:04 GMT, Thomas Rankin
    <> wrote:

    >I was merely pointing out that what the poster was asking was a breach
    >of their TOS.

    But there just isn't anyway that you can get a Vonage connection
    unless you use Vonage approved equipment. If you use the Linksys from
    Staples you have to give the serial number of the router on the
    registration page and I would think the PAP2 from broadbandbuyer.co.uk
    will be exactly the same . I would not buy the locked PAP because if
    you ever deecided to leave Vonage you are left with a piece of junk on
    your hands with the Linksys router you still have a very usable 3 port
    router and all for an extra nine pounds .

    , Sep 2, 2005
  7. Hi all,

    Does anyone know whether the equipment Vonage provides is an ADSL
    router or just an ATA? If the former, does it allow you to do such
    things as disable NAT and configure static routes for usable IP
    address ranges?

    Thanks.
    Andrew.
    My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.

    Andrew Hodgson, Sep 3, 2005
  8. On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 12:05:15 +0100, wrote:

    >On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 10:50:57 +0100, Andrew Hodgson <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Does anyone know whether the equipment Vonage provides is an ADSL
    >>router or just an ATA? If the former, does it allow you to do such
    >>things as disable NAT and configure static routes for usable IP
    >>address ranges?

    >Don't know about what Vonage provides but the Vonage enabled router
    >which you buy from Staples £ 29.99 is a standared Linksys 3 port
    >router with two phone ports which will do what you are suggesting
    >above .

    Does this have an ADSL modem built-in? If not then can I configure
    another device to use the Vonage CIP server? If so, is it just a

    Andrew Hodgson, Sep 3, 2005

    Andrew Hodgson, Sep 3, 2005

    Andrew Hodgson, Sep 3, 2005
  11. Andrew Hodgson wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:12:18 +0100, wrote:
    >

    >>On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 16:47:17 +0100, Andrew Hodgson <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>Does this have an ADSL modem built-in?

    >>No
    >>
    >>> If not then can I configure
    >>>another device to use the Vonage CIP server?

    >>No with you here .

    > Sorry my mistake - should have said Sip. Meaning if I buy an unlocked
    > router like the Draytek 2600, can I configure it to use Vonage using
    > the SIP settings in the router?

    Well, this is confusing, it's in their terms and conditions that you are
    not allowed to use the service with a router that isn't provided by them.

    But I swear I remember reading somewhere that they were asterisk sponsors.

    Thomas Rankin, Sep 3, 2005
  12. Thomas Rankin wrote:
    > Andrew Hodgson wrote:
    > > On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:12:18 +0100, wrote:

    > >>No

    > >>No with you here .

    > > Sorry my mistake - should have said Sip. Meaning if I buy an unlocked
    > > router like the Draytek 2600, can I configure it to use Vonage using
    > > the SIP settings in the router?
    > >

    > Well, this is confusing, it's in their terms and conditions that you are
    > not allowed to use the service with a router that isn't provided by them.
    >
    > But I swear I remember reading somewhere that they were asterisk sponsors.

    I think i also read in their terms that you are not supposed to use the
    router out side of the UK and that sort of defeats the object of sip

    Mat

    Mathew Curtis, Sep 3, 2005
  13. On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:05:51 +0100, Andrew Hodgson <>
    wrote:

    >Meaning if I buy an unlocked
    >router like the Draytek 2600, can I configure it to use Vonage using
    >the SIP settings in the router?

    haven't seen anyone knowing their Vonage SIP settings thus far, its
    kept hidden from you so you use their kit and only on their service.

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    Phil Thompson, Sep 3, 2005
  14. On 3 Sep 2005 11:36:36 -0700, "Mathew Curtis"
    <> wrote:

    >Thomas Rankin wrote:
    >> Andrew Hodgson wrote:

    >> > Sorry my mistake - should have said Sip. Meaning if I buy an unlocked
    >> > router like the Draytek 2600, can I configure it to use Vonage using
    >> > the SIP settings in the router?
    >> >

    >> Well, this is confusing, it's in their terms and conditions that you are
    >> not allowed to use the service with a router that isn't provided by them.
    >>
    >> But I swear I remember reading somewhere that they were asterisk sponsors.

    >I think i also read in their terms that you are not supposed to use the
    >router out side of the UK and that sort of defeats the object of sip

    In their help pages one of the "advantages" of the phone adaptor they
    tout is to be able to just take it to any country with you when you
    travell.

    Andrew Hodgson, Sep 3, 2005
  15. wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:27:37 GMT, Thomas Rankin
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Well, this is confusing, it's in their terms and conditions that you are
    >>not allowed to use the service with a router that isn't provided by them.

    > Well Thomas as far has I know there are no routers available in the UK
    > that you can use with Vonage accounts other than the Linksys RT31P2
    > which is pr configured and locked to Vonage available from Staples.

    Or the PAP2, that broadbandbuyer.co.uk sell for £20.
    I've never seen anything that suggests that you need a vonage ATA to use
    it, infact if you look at the Asterisk and Vonage entry in voip-info it
    gives you details on how to set up vonage directly as a SIP channel.
    (I don't know if this is relevant for uk users, also notice the peculiar
    /202 at the end of the register line).

    > BUT these is nothing to stop anyone linking this up to another router
    > or even another 20 routers if you wish which is/are connected to a
    > modem and out onto the net in that fashion.

    I wasn't debating that.

    I was merely pointing out that what the poster was asking was a breach
    of their TOS.

    "Customer may not program the Number into any equipment or
    infrastructure in or on which the number is intended or used as the
    origination or destination of a communication other than the Device
    that was provided by Vonage."

    Thomas Rankin, Sep 3, 2005