Equipment Suggestions Please.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Anti-Spam, Apr 3, 2007.

  1. Anti-Spam

    Anti-Spam Guest

    I nearly made the leap to VOIP last year, even after dipping my feet
    in the water with SKYPE.

    I have one ADSL landline coming in. I have a ADSL router with wireless
    and Ethernet connections.

    My main criteria is the following:-

    I need a box that I can wire my standard house phone system into.

    I need a second telephone jack (and second number) for my fax machine.

    I need to be able to set the unit up, so that incoming calls on my
    landline, get re-routed back out, over VOIP to my mobile.

    When I asked last time, the best advice I got involved setting up a
    spare old PC to handle my telephone requirements, but I did not want
    to go down this route. The Linksys SP3102 nearly fits the bill, but
    only has the one POTS connection.

    Has any new products come out which will do what I want?

    TIA
    Mark
    Anti-Spam, Apr 3, 2007

  2. "Anti-Spam" <> wrote in message
    > My main criteria is the following:-
    > I need a box that I can wire my standard house phone system into.
    > I need a second telephone jack (and second number) for my fax machine.
    > I need to be able to set the unit up, so that incoming calls on my
    > landline, get re-routed back out, over VOIP to my mobile.
    >
    > When I asked last time, the best advice I got involved setting up a
    > spare old PC to handle my telephone requirements, but I did not want
    > to go down this route. The Linksys SP3102 nearly fits the bill, but
    > only has the one POTS connection.
    >
    > Has any new products come out which will do what I want?

    - You have not told wether you have a PSTN or ISDN connection
    - You also did not tell how you want to organise the 2nd number dedicated to
    your fax ? ISDN ? 2nd landline ? Voip ?

    I would recommend the FritzBox
    - FritzBox has 3 POTS connections, and 1 ISDN connection (where you can add
    up to 8 ISDN phones or PABX)
    - FritzBox can manage up to 10 Voip accounts, 1 POTS nummer, and up to 10
    MSN (in case of ISDN connection)
    - FritzBox can forward incoming calls via VOIP to your mobile

    - In case you have ISDN, you can have 1 dedicated faxnumber (MSN), which can
    be set-up to go to directly to the dedicated POTS conncetion (Fon1, 2 or 3)
    of your faxmachine
    - In case op Analogue: you can only have 1 landline number. In case you want
    to use this for Voice, then I guess you will use a VOIP-in number for your
    Fax? It can be set-up, that incoming calls to this line will go to your
    faxmachine, however VOIP is not that reliable for fax

    I believe you need to tell a little more details in order to get the best
    advice ;)
    Philippe Deleye, Apr 3, 2007

  3. Anti-Spam

    Anti-Spam Guest

    On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 08:45:14 +0200, "Philippe Deleye"
    <> wrote:

    >"Anti-Spam" <> wrote in message
    >> My main criteria is the following:-
    >> I need a box that I can wire my standard house phone system into.
    >> I need a second telephone jack (and second number) for my fax machine.
    >> I need to be able to set the unit up, so that incoming calls on my
    >> landline, get re-routed back out, over VOIP to my mobile.
    >>
    >> When I asked last time, the best advice I got involved setting up a
    >> spare old PC to handle my telephone requirements, but I did not want
    >> to go down this route. The Linksys SP3102 nearly fits the bill, but
    >> only has the one POTS connection.
    >>
    >> Has any new products come out which will do what I want?

    >- You have not told wether you have a PSTN or ISDN connection

    Sorry but I don't know all the terminology, but my landline is a
    standard landline telephone line. At the moment I have a fax/answering
    machine, which the "outgoing message" gives out my mobile number, when
    I am not at home. I wanted to be able to set the system up so that,
    when I leave my home in the morning, I set the system so that incoming
    calls on my existing standard telephone line and number, get re-routed
    out over VOIP to my mobile number. I would also like to set up a
    second separate VOIP phone number, which I would give out to my
    customers as a new "fax only" phone number.

    If I also get the ability to phone in on my mobile, and make domestic/
    international calls out over VOIP, this would be a plus but not a
    necessity.

    I googled up "Fritzbox" but it came up with different models, which
    one did you have in mind?

    Anti-Spam, Apr 3, 2007
  4. Anti-Spam

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Anti-Spam wrote:
    > I nearly made the leap to VOIP last year, even after dipping my feet
    > in the water with SKYPE.
    >
    > I have one ADSL landline coming in. I have a ADSL router with wireless
    > and Ethernet connections.
    >
    > My main criteria is the following:-
    >
    > I need a box that I can wire my standard house phone system into.
    >
    > I need a second telephone jack (and second number) for my fax machine.
    >
    > I need to be able to set the unit up, so that incoming calls on my
    > landline, get re-routed back out, over VOIP to my mobile.
    >
    > When I asked last time, the best advice I got involved setting up a
    > spare old PC to handle my telephone requirements,

    That is the cheapest and most flexible route. Trixbox is your friend.

    > but I did not want
    > to go down this route.

    Oh well never mind ;-)
    Desk Rabbit, Apr 3, 2007
  5. Anti-Spam

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Anti-Spam wrote:
    > On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 08:45:14 +0200, "Philippe Deleye"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Anti-Spam" <> wrote in message
    >>> My main criteria is the following:-
    >>> I need a box that I can wire my standard house phone system into.
    >>> I need a second telephone jack (and second number) for my fax machine.
    >>> I need to be able to set the unit up, so that incoming calls on my
    >>> landline, get re-routed back out, over VOIP to my mobile.
    >>>
    >>> When I asked last time, the best advice I got involved setting up a
    >>> spare old PC to handle my telephone requirements, but I did not want
    >>> to go down this route. The Linksys SP3102 nearly fits the bill, but
    >>> only has the one POTS connection.
    >>>
    >>> Has any new products come out which will do what I want?

    >> - You have not told wether you have a PSTN or ISDN connection

    > Sorry but I don't know all the terminology, but my landline is a
    > standard landline telephone line. At the moment I have a fax/answering
    > machine, which the "outgoing message" gives out my mobile number, when
    > I am not at home. I wanted to be able to set the system up so that,
    > when I leave my home in the morning, I set the system so that incoming
    > calls on my existing standard telephone line and number, get re-routed
    > out over VOIP to my mobile number.

    Asterisk/Trixbox can do this. If your main phone is not answered with x
    seconds, the call is forwarded to another number such as a mobile.

    > I would also like to set up a
    > second separate VOIP phone number, which I would give out to my
    > customers as a new "fax only" phone number.

    Asterisk/Trixbox can do this. Mine sends me a PDF of the fax via email.

    Desk Rabbit, Apr 3, 2007
  6. Anti-Spam

    Brian Guest

    On 2007-04-03, Anti-Spam <> wrote:

    > Sorry but I don't know all the terminology, but my landline is a
    > standard landline telephone line. At the moment I have a fax/answering
    > machine, which the "outgoing message" gives out my mobile number, when
    > I am not at home. I wanted to be able to set the system up so that,
    > when I leave my home in the morning, I set the system so that incoming
    > calls on my existing standard telephone line and number, get re-routed
    > out over VOIP to my mobile number. I would also like to set up a
    > second separate VOIP phone number, which I would give out to my
    > customers as a new "fax only" phone number.
    >
    > If I also get the ability to phone in on my mobile, and make domestic/
    > international calls out over VOIP, this would be a plus but not a
    > necessity.

    How about having two devices? Something like the Linksys you mentioned
    before - that would cater for the diversion to your mobile. And then add
    an inexpensive VPA-11 to the network for the fax bit.

    Time of Day routeing might be something to look at as well. See what
    VoipTalk and Voipfone have to offer.

    Brian.
    Brian, Apr 3, 2007
  7. Anti-Spam

    Anti-Spam Guest

    On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 11:29:07 +0000 (UTC), Brian <> wrote:

    >On 2007-04-03, Anti-Spam <> wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry but I don't know all the terminology, but my landline is a
    >> standard landline telephone line. At the moment I have a fax/answering
    >> machine, which the "outgoing message" gives out my mobile number, when
    >> I am not at home. I wanted to be able to set the system up so that,
    >> when I leave my home in the morning, I set the system so that incoming
    >> calls on my existing standard telephone line and number, get re-routed
    >> out over VOIP to my mobile number. I would also like to set up a
    >> second separate VOIP phone number, which I would give out to my
    >> customers as a new "fax only" phone number.
    >>
    >> If I also get the ability to phone in on my mobile, and make domestic/
    >> international calls out over VOIP, this would be a plus but not a
    >> necessity.

    >How about having two devices? Something like the Linksys you mentioned
    >before - that would cater for the diversion to your mobile. And then add
    >an inexpensive VPA-11 to the network for the fax bit.

    Never thought of that, sounds like the way for me.

    Anti-Spam, Apr 3, 2007
  8. Anti-Spam

    Guest

    On Apr 3, 12:29 pm, Brian <> wrote:
    > On 2007-04-03, Anti-Spam <> wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry but I don't know all the terminology, but my landline is a
    > > standard landline telephone line. At the moment I have a fax/answering
    > > machine, which the "outgoing message" gives out my mobile number, when
    > > I am not at home. I wanted to be able to set the system up so that,
    > > when I leave my home in the morning, I set the system so that incoming
    > > calls on my existing standard telephone line and number, get re-routed
    > > out over VOIP to my mobile number. I would also like to set up a
    > > second separate VOIP phone number, which I would give out to my
    > > customers as a new "fax only" phone number.

    > > If I also get the ability to phone in on my mobile, and make domestic/
    > > international calls out over VOIP, this would be a plus but not a
    > > necessity.

    > How about having two devices? Something like the Linksys you mentioned
    > before - that would cater for the diversion to your mobile. And then add
    > an inexpensive VPA-11 to the network for the fax bit.
    >
    > Time of Day routeing might be something to look at as well. See whatVoipTalkand Voipfone have to offer.
    >
    > Brian.

    I also noticed that voiptalk have unlimited (well fair use policy as
    always) calling to uk, usa, europe for a tenner. Is this new? I
    checked their rates on the plan and these are also pretty low. Not
    sure where the catch is.

    Deev
    , Apr 5, 2007
  9. Anti-Spam

    Brian Guest

    On 2007-04-05, <> wrote:

    > On Apr 3, 12:29 pm, Brian <> wrote:
    >> Time of Day routeing might be something to look at as well. See
    >> what VoipTalk and Voipfone have to offer.
    >>
    >> Brian.

    > I also noticed that voiptalk have unlimited (well fair use policy as
    > always) calling to uk, usa, europe for a tenner. Is this new? I
    > checked their rates on the plan and these are also pretty low. Not
    > sure where the catch is.

    An excerpt from a recent VoipTalk email says:

    > We are proud to introduce the new single rate for our VoIPtalk
    > Unlimited Package. From 1st April, 2007, there will no longer be
    > four different categories, we have simply combined all our UK,
    > Europe and USA tariffs into one amazingly priced package which
    > includes UK, European and USA destinations!

    Note that the 9.99 GBP per month has VAT added to it.

    Brian.
    Brian, Apr 5, 2007
  10. Anti-Spam

    Guest

    On Apr 5, 12:13 pm, Brian <> wrote:
    > On 2007-04-05, <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Apr 3, 12:29 pm, Brian <> wrote:
    > >> Time of Day routeing might be something to look at as well. See
    > >> whatVoipTalkand Voipfone have to offer.

    > >> Brian.

    > > I also noticed thatvoiptalkhave unlimited (well fair use policy as
    > > always) calling to uk, usa, europe for a tenner. Is this new? I
    > > checked their rates on the plan and these are also pretty low. Not
    > > sure where the catch is.

    > An excerpt from a recentVoipTalkemail says:
    >
    > > We are proud to introduce the new single rate for ourVoIPtalk
    > > Unlimited Package. From 1st April, 2007, there will no longer be
    > > four different categories, we have simply combined all our UK,
    > > Europe and USA tariffs into one amazingly priced package which
    > > includes UK, European and USA destinations!

    > Note that the 9.99 GBP per month has VAT added to it.
    >
    > Brian.

    Doesn't bother me - i'll just claim it :)

    Also, they have 0.9p on prepay silver tariff - again excludes vat.
    They seem to have lowered pricing everywhere.

    Dee
    , Apr 5, 2007
  11. Anti-Spam

    B Guest

    On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 09:06:16 +0100, Desk Rabbit said in article
    <>:

    >Trixbox is your friend.

    .... all 561mb of it?
    B, Apr 9, 2007
  12. Anti-Spam

    Lurch Guest

    Re: Re: Equipment Suggestions Please.

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:51:41 +0100, B <Á@> mused:

    >On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 09:06:16 +0100, Desk Rabbit said in article
    ><>:
    >
    >>Trixbox is your friend.

    >... all 561mb of it?

    Something wrong?