Equipment needed for an ISDN lab setup?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by JohnH., Feb 11, 2006.

  1. JohnH.

    JohnH. Guest

    Hi,
    I'm studying for the CCNA and I am having a great deal of trouble
    with ISDN and BRI. I think it would help me to have some physical
    Cisco ISDN/BRI hardware and actually set it up, get it working, and
    then intentionally misconfigure and break various pieces to see what
    that looks like from the router console.

    On eBay I have found Cisco 2503 routers w/ BRI interfaces. I have
    also seen Cisco routers with NT1 interfaces. Can either of these be
    configured back-to-back with a specific cable? Or, can you configure a
    third router to simulate an ISDN switch, like you can configure a
    router to simulate a frame relay switch? I have several spare 2501s
    and 2514s.

    If I can get pointed in the right conceptual direction I can research
    it from there. I'm just not clear on the components needed for an
    ISDN LAB.

    Thanks,
    John

    JohnH., Feb 11, 2006

  2. JohnH.

    Merv Guest

    You cannot connect Cisco routers back to back on ISDN ports, you need a
    very basic ISDN switch emulator.

    I have successfully used the Emutel Sole 2 BRI ISDN from Arca
    Technologies when I created a CCIE practice lab in a past life. It
    functioned flawlessly

    see http://www.arca-technologies.com for details

    ask them if they have a discount for Cisco students.

    Merv, Feb 11, 2006

  3. JohnH.

    JohnH. Guest

    Thanks.

    JohnH., Feb 12, 2006
  4. JohnH.

    JohnH. Guest

    Hmmm... after looking for these on the web, ISDN emulators seem to be
    very exepensive, around $1,000US give or take. The few that were on
    eBay were also more than I really want to spend. I was hoping for a
    $50 +/- solution because I am working on a budget. Is this just not
    realistic. I have even looked for a software and card solutions for a
    PC and not found one. Anybody got any suggestions? Or, is the
    hardward ISDN switch emulator really my only option? Thanks, John

    JohnH., Feb 13, 2006
  5. JohnH.

    Bob Goddard Guest

    JohnH. wrote:

    > Hmmm... after looking for these on the web, ISDN emulators seem to be
    > very exepensive, around $1,000US give or take. The few that were on
    > eBay were also more than I really want to spend. I was hoping for a
    > $50 +/- solution because I am working on a budget. Is this just not
    > realistic. I have even looked for a software and card solutions for a
    > PC and not found one. Anybody got any suggestions? Or, is the
    > hardward ISDN switch emulator really my only option? Thanks, John

    2 cheap solutions:
    1. Elmeg C48.net, probably around $400 plus any extras. This is a
    proper ISDN pbx
    2. Linux/BSD, Asterisk and a cheap TE capable ISDN card. The ISDN
    card would cost around $20. Asterisk is free, PC whatever.

    As for getting somethings for $50, you must be joking! unless you
    have a spare PC.

    http://www.mailtrap.org.uk/

    Bob Goddard, Feb 13, 2006
  6. JohnH.

    Guest

    JohnH. wrote:
    > Hmmm... after looking for these on the web, ISDN emulators seem to be
    > very exepensive, around $1,000US give or take. The few that were on
    > eBay were also more than I really want to spend. I was hoping for a

    I have not done this however I have seen people say on this group that
    an old small PBX is the cheapest way to do this.

    Also:-

    Aaron Leonard (who does not appear to make things up)
    published on this group recently:

    ISDN BRI crossover (for BRI back-to-back connection):
    RJ-45 ----- RJ-45
    3 ----- 4
    4 ----- 3
    5 ----- 6
    6 ----- 5

    What you can do with this I don't know.

    , Feb 13, 2006
  7. JohnH.

    Merv Guest

    Apparently Cisco has a ISDN BRI card that will offer emulation of ISDN
    emulation; I was not aware of that.

    "Beginning with release 12.1.(3)X1, Cisco offers emulation of the ISDN
    network and with the newer VIC-2BRI-NT/TE card, support for phantom
    power generation."

    see
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/signalling/bri_voice_port_cfg.html

    In that article there is mention of a BRI cross-over cable

    I see reburnished VIC-2BRI-NT on the net for $800.00

    But I believe that my original statement to still be true - that being
    that Cisco router regular ISDN BRI ports cannot be cabled back-to-back,
    crossover cable or not.

    Merv, Feb 13, 2006
  8. JohnH.

    Horst Wagner Guest

    Hi, (you may recognize that I removed Antw:)
    the VIC-2BRI-NT/TE is a voice interface card and will only function on voice
    enabled routers.
    That means it works only on routers having DSP´s (like PVDM-x) or having a
    voive-network-module like nm-2V and so on.
    Also having this I long ago tested it and it only worked with ISDN voice
    call.
    So if ISDN service type data appears in D-channel it didn´t work.

    Finally I think to use Voice-modules as a ISDN-simulator is too expensive
    and doesn´t work in all environments.

    Horst Wagner, Feb 13, 2006
  9. As Horst noted, although the VIC-2BRI-NT/TE does support network side
    BRI, it does not support data applications.

    You CAN connect Cisco routers back to back on PRI (T1 or E1) ports.

    In any case, I don't think that either the VIC-2BRI-NT/TE or routers
    with PRI ports will get down to the OP's $50 target price.

    Aaron

    ---

    ~

    Aaron Leonard, Feb 15, 2006