    the beginnings of a 1984 or thought-control government.
    -Rich

    , Jun 30, 2003

  2. Except that I thought both Equilibium and Boondock Saints were horrible.

    The black knight ALWAYS triumphs!

    Jason Chastain, Jun 30, 2003

  3. Tom Meyer Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > There is NO God.
    > Why? Because if there were, and he/she was a benevolent
    > God, they'd have made the movie "Equilibrium" a theatrical
    > hit and "Matrix Reloaded" a failure, though both movies were
    > similar in content. Christian Bale is a "cleric" in the
    > future who destroys anything that incites human emotion, which
    > has been banned by a 1984 style government. He also kills
    > resistors to the policy and "feelers" or people who have feelings.
    > Bale again (like most of his movies) turns in a great performance.
    > This movie is an excellent interpretation of the 1984 theme, but has
    > superior combat scenes to the Matrix Reloaded and the poetic violence
    > of "The Boondock Saints."
    > Rent it on DVD or buy it, you won't be disappointed,
    > unless you are a P.C. leftist who doesn't like the comment
    > at the beginning about enforcement of hate crime laws being
    > the beginnings of a 1984 or thought-control government.
    > -Rich

    I know! I keep telling people, this movie deserved to be the comedy hit of
    the year! The jokes were brilliant: a martial art called 'Gun-Kata' where
    guys wave their hands around with their fingers making 'guns'...hilarious!

    Tom

    Tom Meyer, Jun 30, 2003
  4. Joshua Zyber Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > There is NO God.
    > Why? Because if there were, and he/she was a benevolent
    > God, they'd have made the movie "Equilibrium" a theatrical
    > hit and "Matrix Reloaded" a failure, though both movies were
    > similar in content.

    Except that Equilibrium was mind-numbingly stupid from beginning to end.

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 30, 2003
  5. Rick Guest

    Equilibrium was a very well made, well acted and well choreographed movie.
    The action scenes were spectacular and Christian Bale did a fine job. Loved
    the ending too...that glint in Bale's eye that makes you wonder if his rule
    will be worse than that of the Tetragrammaton. Very cool movie.

    Rick, Jun 30, 2003
  6. Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > > Except that Equilibrium was mind-numbingly stupid from beginning to

    end.

    > Only if you were mind-numbed and stupid to begin with.

    If you really think that Equilibrium was anything other than a moronic,
    half-brained piece of crap tied together with a handful of cool action
    scenes, you are already too far gone for reasonable discussion.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 1, 2003
  7. Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:32:54 -0400, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >"Rick" <> wrote in message
    >> > Except that Equilibrium was mind-numbingly stupid from beginning to

    >end.
    >>
    >> Only if you were mind-numbed and stupid to begin with.

    >If you really think that Equilibrium was anything other than a moronic,
    >half-brained piece of crap tied together with a handful of cool action
    >scenes, you are already too far gone for reasonable discussion.

    Why was it half-brained?
    -Rich

    , Jul 1, 2003
  8. On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 03:56:44 GMT, wrote:

    >On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:32:54 -0400, "Joshua Zyber"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>"Rick" <> wrote in message

    >>end.
    >>>
    >>> Only if you were mind-numbed and stupid to begin with.

    >>If you really think that Equilibrium was anything other than a moronic,
    >>half-brained piece of crap tied together with a handful of cool action
    >>scenes, you are already too far gone for reasonable discussion.
    >>

    >Why was it half-brained?
    >-Rich

    Well, the fact that you like it is almost proof in and of itself.

    John Harkness

    John Harkness, Jul 1, 2003
  9. Guest

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 07:56:32 -0400, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> >If you really think that Equilibrium was anything other than a

    >moronic,
    >> >half-brained piece of crap tied together with a handful of cool

    >action
    >> >scenes, you are already too far gone for reasonable discussion.

    >> Why was it half-brained?

    >Have you actually seen it? It's "Brave New Farenheit 1984" mish-mash
    >storyline was a completely ludicrous mess, the kind of thing a high
    >school sophmore would scribble as a comic book and think he's come up
    >with something deep and profound.

    It wasn't supposed to be deep and profound. Neither was 1984 or
    Farenheit 451. They were simple illustrations of what happens
    when freedom is denied. You don't need a PhD to understand that
    humans behave differently in different situations.
    But from an entertainment standpoint, the movie was a cut above
    what I've seen recently at the theatre and that is why it's a shame
    it didn't get the attention it deserved. For that you need huge piles
    of promotional money, except in rare cases.
    -Rich

    , Jul 1, 2003
  10. Tom Meyer Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 07:56:32 -0400, "Joshua Zyber"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > ><> wrote in message

    > >moronic,

    > >action
    > >>
    > >> Why was it half-brained?

    > >Have you actually seen it? It's "Brave New Farenheit 1984" mish-mash
    > >storyline was a completely ludicrous mess, the kind of thing a high
    > >school sophmore would scribble as a comic book and think he's come up
    > >with something deep and profound.
    > >

    > It wasn't supposed to be deep and profound. Neither was 1984 or
    > Farenheit 451. They were simple illustrations of what happens
    > when freedom is denied.

    So when freedom is denied, the mystical martial art of pointing your finger
    like a gun and waving it around is invented? :p

    Tom

    Tom Meyer, Jul 1, 2003
  11. Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > And if you really believe your description of it, your taste in movies

    is
    > too incredibly strange for us to have any common ground to discuss it.

    It would appear that way, yes. Though obviously from my perspective it's
    your taste that is "strange".

    > The
    > difference between us is that I know that my dislike for a movie

    doesn't
    > make it a bad movie, whereas you are too immature and inexperienced to

    admit
    > this.

    Riiiiiiight.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 2, 2003
  12. Joshua Zyber Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > >Have you actually seen it? It's "Brave New Farenheit 1984" mish-mash
    > >storyline was a completely ludicrous mess, the kind of thing a high
    > >school sophmore would scribble as a comic book and think he's come up
    > >with something deep and profound.
    > >

    > It wasn't supposed to be deep and profound. Neither was 1984 or
    > Farenheit 451. They were simple illustrations of what happens
    > when freedom is denied.

    And you don't see these "simple illustrations" as attempts to say
    something deep or profound about human nature?

    Equilibrium takes itself and its message with deadly seriousness. The
    filmmakers actually believed that they were saying something 'Important'
    with this pile of crap.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 2, 2003
  13. Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:32:28 GMT, "Tom Meyer" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 07:56:32 -0400, "Joshua Zyber"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> ><> wrote in message
    >> >moronic,
    >> >action

    >> >Have you actually seen it? It's "Brave New Farenheit 1984" mish-mash
    >> >storyline was a completely ludicrous mess, the kind of thing a high
    >> >school sophmore would scribble as a comic book and think he's come up
    >> >with something deep and profound.
    >> >

    >> It wasn't supposed to be deep and profound. Neither was 1984 or
    >> Farenheit 451. They were simple illustrations of what happens
    >> when freedom is denied.

    >So when freedom is denied, the mystical martial art of pointing your finger
    >like a gun and waving it around is invented? :p
    >
    >Tom

    How come when some Chinese filmaker does a film using that kind of
    thing, he's lauded?
    -Rich

    , Jul 2, 2003
  14. Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > > > The
    > > > difference between us is that I know that my dislike for a movie

    > > doesn't
    > > > make it a bad movie, whereas you are too immature and

    inexperienced to
    > > admit
    > > > this.

    > > Riiiiiiight.

    > Glad you agree, because it is painfully obvious.

    Such childishness. You bore me.

    Believe that Equilibrium is not a painfully stupid movie if you want to.
    I can't stop you. Some day you'll turn around and acknowledge the error
    of your ways.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 2, 2003
  15. Frode Guest

    Frode, Jul 2, 2003
  16. Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Frode" <> wrote in message
    > > Such childishness. You bore me.
    > > Believe that Equilibrium is not a painfully stupid movie if you want

    to.
    > > I can't stop you. Some day you'll turn around and acknowledge the

    error
    > > of your ways.

    > Yeah, clearly your taste is movies is the only "correct" one.

    Not in every case. But in this case, yeah.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 2, 2003
  17. Rick Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > > > doesn't

    > inexperienced to
    > > > admit
    > > >
    > > > Riiiiiiight.

    > > Glad you agree, because it is painfully obvious.

    > Such childishness. You bore me.

    How ironic that you should accuse anyone else of being childish. You attack
    people personally for liking a movie you dislike and then accuse OTHERS of
    being childish. How painfully ironic. Hopefully someday you will grow up.

    Rick, Jul 2, 2003
  18. Frode Guest

    Frode, Jul 2, 2003
  19. Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Frode" <> wrote in message
    > >> Yeah, clearly your taste is movies is the only "correct" one.

    > > Not in every case. But in this case, yeah.

    > It's taste. Yours by definition cannot be any more or less correct

    than any
    > others' since it's all an individual experience and preference.

    Sometimes "taste" or "individual experience and preference" can and
    should be broken down into a matter of Right and Wrong. Someone who has
    a taste for kiddie porn, for example, would be Wrong.

    No, I am not trying to equate this movie with kiddie porn or the people
    who watch it with child molesters. Clearly, this is not in anyway in
    that same league of Wrongness. However, to say that all matters of taste
    or personal preference "by definition cannot be any more or less correct
    than any others'" is foolish.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 2, 2003
  20. Joshua Zyber Guest

    "David Kehler" <> wrote in message
    > >Something in particular that I don't like? Geez, where to start?

    That's
    > >like asking why specifically Ed Wood was not a good screenwriter or
    > >director. There are just so very many things wrong with the concept

    and
    > >execution of this movie. How about the fact that, in this society

    were
    > >all emotions are supposed to be suppressed, nobody has a problem
    > >expressing pride or arrogance?

    > Who? Where?

    Taye Diggs, in every smirking line of dialogue he delivered, for
    instance.

    > >How about the idiotic scenes where
    > >Christian Bale 'discovers his feelings' by fawning over a puppy? Oh,
    > >there are so many others, I don't even know where to begin.

    > You don't like puppies?

    I don't like movies where an otherwise intelligent character, at the
    first sight of a puppy, would be reduced to pouting and tears, and would
    be completely incapable of hiding this emotion from others even though
    he knows his life is at stake.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 3, 2003