epub to pdf convertor?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Franco Proctor, Apr 17, 2010.

  1. can anyone recommend a file conversion program to chane epub files to pdf
    files please?

    Franco Proctor, Apr 17, 2010

  2. Franco Proctor

    Mike Easter Guest

    Franco Proctor wrote:
    > can anyone recommend a file conversion program to chane epub files to pdf
    > files please?

    It would be better if you would say the overall purpose of such a
    conversion, such as a wish to use a particular ebook reader because you
    may want more than 'conversion' - you might want to modify the metadata.

    Calibre is a free multipurpose program which can convert numerous
    different formats including epub to numerous different formats including
    pdf and also perform many other different functions besides 'conversion'
    such as importing and editing metadata and optimizing a format for a
    particular kind of ebook.

    So you would say calibre is a multipurpose library management program.
    Do you need library management?

    epub2pdf is a free commandline app for converting epub to pdf. epub2pdf
    is a single purpose one format to one format converter. Naturally the
    developer of the commandline app says that his app can convert epub to
    pdf better than calibre. But it can't do anything else.

    There's a lot of difference; ergo, what exactly is the purpose of the
    conversion?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 17, 2010

  3. "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Franco Proctor wrote:
    >> can anyone recommend a file conversion program to chane epub files to pdf
    >> files please?

    > It would be better if you would say the overall purpose of such a
    > conversion, such as a wish to use a particular ebook reader because you
    > may want more than 'conversion' - you might want to modify the metadata.
    >
    > Calibre is a free multipurpose program which can convert numerous
    > different formats including epub to numerous different formats including
    > pdf and also perform many other different functions besides 'conversion'
    > such as importing and editing metadata and optimizing a format for a
    > particular kind of ebook.
    >
    > So you would say calibre is a multipurpose library management program. Do
    > you need library management?
    >
    > epub2pdf is a free commandline app for converting epub to pdf. epub2pdf
    > is a single purpose one format to one format converter. Naturally the
    > developer of the commandline app says that his app can convert epub to pdf
    > better than calibre. But it can't do anything else.
    >
    > There's a lot of difference; ergo, what exactly is the purpose of the
    > conversion?
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    I just wanted to convert some ebooks I had downloaded in the epub format to
    pdf, that was all.

    many thanks for your information, and apologies for not being specific
    enough :-(

    regards

    franco

    Franco Proctor, Apr 17, 2010
  4. Franco Proctor

    Mike Easter Guest

    Franco Proctor wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Franco Proctor wrote:
    >>> can anyone recommend a file conversion program to chane epub files to pdf
    >>> files please?

    >> Calibre is a free multipurpose program

    >> epub2pdf is a free commandline app

    > I just wanted to convert some ebooks I had downloaded in the epub format to
    > pdf, that was all.

    Why? epub has numerous advantages over pdf, depending, and it is the
    current standard of the International Digital Publishing Forum.

    From the wiki:

    * Free and open
    * Re-flowable (word wrap) and re-sizable text
    * Inline raster and vector images
    * Embedded metadata
    * DRM support
    * CSS styling
    * Support for alternative renditions in the same file
    * Use of out-of-line and inline xml islands to extend the
    functionality of EPUB

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 17, 2010
  5. Franco Proctor

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-04-17, Mike Easter <> wrote:
    > Franco Proctor wrote:

    >>> Calibre is a free multipurpose program

    >>> epub2pdf is a free commandline app

    >> I just wanted to convert some ebooks I had downloaded in the epub format to
    >> pdf, that was all.

    > Why? epub has numerous advantages over pdf, depending, and it is the
    > current standard of the International Digital Publishing Forum.

    [...]

    The Amazon Kindle can't read epub files. I believe there are also
    restrictions about handling DRMd epub and mobi files on the same device.

    Ebooks are currently produced in a plethora of different forms, and it
    seems that no device can handle all of them
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats> - not even
    plain text is 'universal'!

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 17, 2010
  6. Franco Proctor

    Mike Easter Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > Mike Easter
    >> Franco Proctor wrote:

    >>> I just wanted to convert some ebooks I had downloaded in the epub format to
    >>> pdf, that was all.

    >> Why? epub has numerous advantages over pdf, depending, and it is the
    >> current standard of the International Digital Publishing Forum.

    > [...]
    >
    > The Amazon Kindle can't read epub files. I believe there are also
    > restrictions about handling DRMd epub and mobi files on the same device.
    >
    > Ebooks are currently produced in a plethora of different forms, and it
    > seems that no device can handle all of them
    > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats> - not even
    > plain text is 'universal'!

    Calibre can provide all kinds of management for the various devices such
    as kindle.

    That is one of the reasons for asking the OP /why/ he wanted to convert.
    If one were converting epub for the purpose of using a specific
    reader, the advantage of Calibre over epub2pdf would be the handling of
    the metadata and tuning the format for the kindle.

    Or, /maybe/ the reasons the OP (thought he) wanted pdf would have been
    better resolved by using a different/better reader app instead of
    converting from a better format to a different format.

    So often around here, the original question isn't actually the right one.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 17, 2010
  7. Clifton Toliver, Apr 17, 2010