    print out some of my LF images. Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark Anon, Jan 12, 2006

  2. Mark Anon

    Andrew Haley Guest

    In rec.photo.digital Mark Anon <> wrote:
    > Does Epson no longer make the Water Color paper?

    > I'm looking for something with more texture than the Enhanced Matte paper to
    > print out some of my LF images. Any suggestions?

    Epson Somerset Velvet is the very best, but it's frighteningly
    expensive.

    Andrew.
    Andrew Haley, Jan 12, 2006

  3. Mark Anon

    Anon Guest

    Is this the same as Epson Velvet (S041636 for 8.5x11, and S041637 for 13x19)
    ??

    "Somerset" is available on Epson's website in sizes smaller than 24x30

    Mark

    Anon, Jan 12, 2006
  4. Mark Anon

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    Andrew Haley <> wrote:

    > > I'm looking for something with more texture than the Enhanced Matte paper
    > > print out some of my LF images. Any suggestions?

    Tetenal Aquarell watercolor paper has a very nice hand pressed finish.
    You can actually print on either side depending on the effect desired.
    Their Canvas material can also do this for two different effects.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Jan 12, 2006
  5. Mark Anon

    Anon Guest

    Thank you Bob.

    Anon, Jan 12, 2006
  6. "Mark Anon" <> wrote

    > Does Epson no longer make the Water Color paper?

    Try watercolor paper from the art store -- the stuff
    sold for painting watercolors. I have done it and it
    works well, don't know if it is still considered 'kosher'.

    "Cheap Joe's Art Stuff" is a decent discount art supply
    house, they are on www.

    --
    Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
    To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
    Nicholas O. Lindan, Jan 12, 2006
  7. Mark Anon

    tomm42 Guest

    You can try it but the results are very soft as standard WC paper has
    no coating to restrict the bleed of the ink. That said I have seen some
    nice pieces using this technique, but it was on Rieves or Arches paper,
    not Cheap Joes'. www.ATLEX.com has epson papers at a substantial
    discount from the Epson site. www.hawkmtnartpapers.com is a very good
    independent paper manufacturer, very good people to deal with.

    Tom
    tomm42, Jan 12, 2006
  8. Mark Anon

    Bob Williams Guest

    Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
    > "Mark Anon" <> wrote
    >

    >>Does Epson no longer make the Water Color paper?

    > Try watercolor paper from the art store -- the stuff
    > sold for painting watercolors. I have done it and it
    > works well, don't know if it is still considered 'kosher'.
    >
    > "Cheap Joe's Art Stuff" is a decent discount art supply
    > house, they are on www.

    I have done the same.
    I get a "Tablet" of 25-30 sheets of acid-free watercolor paper with a
    texture as close as possible to the original from my local Art store.
    Costs around $10. Works great.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Jan 12, 2006
  9. Mark Anon

    rafe b Guest

    "Nicholas O. Lindan" <> wrote in message
    > "Mark Anon" <> wrote
    >
    >> Does Epson no longer make the Water Color paper?

    > Try watercolor paper from the art store -- the stuff
    > sold for painting watercolors. I have done it and it
    > works well, don't know if it is still considered 'kosher'.
    >
    > "Cheap Joe's Art Stuff" is a decent discount art supply
    > house, they are on www.

    I did that years ago and the results were horrible.
    Dot gain on artists' watercolor paper is enormous
    and (IMO) totally unsuitable for detailed prints
    or images that need "snap."

    Problem is, inket papers don't hold photographic
    detail without a good, hard coating. The best
    Dmax and contrast also require optical brighteners.

    Viz., regular old Somerset Velvet sucked badly,
    but Somerset Velvet "Photo Enhanced" worked
    quite nicely.

    The downside (there always is one) is that such
    coatings applied to coarse-fibered "art" papers
    tend to flake off, leaving dust and debris in the
    printer. If the paper flakes after the ink goes on,
    it leaves white specks on the print.

    The "solution" is to brush the paper thoroughly
    and carefully before printing.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com
    rafe b, Jan 12, 2006
  10. Mark Anon

    measekite Guest

    rafe b wrote:

    >"Nicholas O. Lindan" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>"Mark Anon" <> wrote
    >>

    >>>Does Epson no longer make the Water Color paper?
    >>>

    >>Try watercolor paper from the art store -- the stuff
    >>sold for painting watercolors. I have done it and it
    >>works well, don't know if it is still considered 'kosher'.
    >>
    >>"Cheap Joe's Art Stuff" is a decent discount art supply
    >>house, they are on www.
    >>

    >I did that years ago and the results were horrible.

    Did you use Epson ink?

    measekite, Jan 12, 2006
  11. Mark Anon

    rafe b Guest

    "measekite" <> wrote in message

    > rafe b wrote:
    >
    >>"Nicholas O. Lindan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Mark Anon" <> wrote

    >>>Try watercolor paper from the art store -- the stuff
    >>>sold for painting watercolors. I have done it and it
    >>>works well, don't know if it is still considered 'kosher'.
    >>>
    >>>"Cheap Joe's Art Stuff" is a decent discount art supply
    >>>house, they are on www.
    >>>

    >>I did that years ago and the results were horrible.
    >>

    > Did you use Epson ink?

    Yes, and others as well. The ink isn't going to
    matter much in this situation. With uncoated
    paper, the nature of the paper dominates.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com
    rafe b, Jan 12, 2006
  12. Mark Anon

    Mike Guest

    How did you profile the paper?

    Mike, Jan 12, 2006
  13. "tomm42" <> wrote

    > Rieves [sic] or Arches paper, not Cheap Joes'.

    "Cheap Joe's Art Stuff" sells water color paper by Cotman,
    Arches, Strathmore and just about anybody else you can think
    of, but I am sure you know that [cough].

    http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supplies/4550_watercolor-paper.asp
    http://www.cheapjoes.com/

    Nicholas O. Lindan, Jan 12, 2006
  14. Mark Anon

    Frank Guest

    rafe b wrote:

    > Yes, and others as well. The ink isn't going to
    > matter much in this situation. With uncoated
    > paper, the nature of the paper dominates.
    >

    > rafe b
    > www.terrapinphoto.com

    Exactly. It's the paper, not the ink.
    Frank
    Frank, Jan 12, 2006
  15. "rafe b" <> wrote
    > "Nicholas O. Lindan" <> wrote
    > > "Mark Anon" <> wrote
    > > > Does Epson no longer make the Water Color paper?

    > > Try watercolor paper

    > I did that years ago and the results were horrible.
    > Dot gain on artists' watercolor paper is enormous

    And I tried it and the results were great, dot gain was
    enormous and it lost that ink-jet look.

    > Problem is, inket [sic, I think he means WC papers, ed]
    > papers don't hold photographic detail without a good, hard coating.

    Rafe, baby, if the question is watercolor paper the
    answer isn't 'photographic detail'.

    Nicholas O. Lindan, Jan 12, 2006
  16. Mark Anon

    > Rafe, baby, if the question is watercolor paper the
    > answer isn't 'photographic detail'.

    Well, the word "photo" still appears in the name of this
    group, doesn't it?

    Agreed, there is a class of images and subject that might
    yield acceptable or even desirable results on uncoated WC
    paper. Viz., the same sorts of images that one might
    take with a soft-focus lens.

    Not my gig, though.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com
    rafe b, Jan 12, 2006
  17. Mark Anon

    rafe b Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:15:56 GMT, "Nicholas O. Lindan" <>
    wrote:

    >And I tried it and the results were great, dot gain was
    >enormous and it lost that ink-jet look.

    How old is your printer, Nick? If you're seeing
    dots from a modern Epson, Canon or HP printer
    in photo/best mode, your visual acuity is
    probably in the 99.9th percentile.

    Seriously, on the R800/R1800, dots are not
    observable without a loupe. I expec even
    our resident grain sniffer Dave L. would
    concur.

    FWIW, in my first post on this topic I did
    qualify by saying that WC was not suitable
    for images that need "snap." But if you're
    making dreamy, soft-focus, high-key stuff,
    it just might be the ticket.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com
    rafe b, Jan 13, 2006
  18. "rafe b" <rafebATspeakeasy.net> wrote:

    > How old is your printer, Nick? If you're seeing
    > dots from a modern Epson, Canon or HP printer
    > in photo/best mode, your visual acuity is
    > probably in the 99.9th percentile.
    >
    > Seriously, on the R800/R1800, dots are not
    > observable without a loupe. I expec even
    > our resident grain sniffer Dave L. would
    > concur.

    Yep. No dots without a loupe. The R800 is seriously amazing. At A4 it
    renders pretty much _all_ the detail a 5D captures. That's 353 ppi of real
    detail.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jan 13, 2006
  19. Mark Anon

    Andrew Haley Guest

    In comp.periphs.printers Anon <> wrote:
    > "Andrew Haley" <> wrote in message
    >> In rec.photo.digital Mark Anon <> wrote:
    >>> Does Epson no longer make the Water Color paper?

    >>> I'm looking for something with more texture than the Enhanced Matte paper
    >>> print out some of my LF images. Any suggestions?

    >> Epson Somerset Velvet is the very best, but it's frighteningly
    >> expensive.

    > Is this the same as Epson Velvet (S041636 for 8.5x11, and S041637 for 13x19)
    > ??

    > "Somerset" is available on Epson's website in sizes smaller than 24x30

    I don't know, sorry. Form the description it might well be, but I
    can't be sure.

    Somerset Velvet has the best black I've seen on a matt cotton paper,
    great whites, and excellent colour gamut.

    Andrew.
    Andrew Haley, Jan 13, 2006
  20. Mark Anon

    Andrew Haley Guest

    In comp.periphs.printers Nicholas O. Lindan <> wrote:
    > "Mark Anon" <> wrote

    >> Does Epson no longer make the Water Color paper?

    > Try watercolor paper from the art store -- the stuff
    > sold for painting watercolors. I have done it and it
    > works well, don't know if it is still considered 'kosher'.

    I have too, but uncoated paper doesn't produce such dense blacks or
    saturated colours. That might well be OK for some things, of course.

    Andrew.
    Andrew Haley, Jan 13, 2006