EPSON STYLUS PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by coverman design, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. In my previous post, I asked for Epson Stylus 1160 color printers.

    The reason for that, is that we have to print very much. The printers print
    on a kind of plastic film and with a special kind of ink. The problem is,
    that after short period (few days), they get stuck(the printheads are dirty)

    The technique we use to print is called piëzzo

    The special kind of ink(waterbased), is delivered in tins. We have to refill
    the cartridges.
    We can clean the printheads the normal way a few times, but if we return to
    work after the weekend or don't print one day, they can't be cleaned
    anymore...
    Then we use some kind of cleaner-solution (of wich we don't know what it
    is). That solution is a product we got from the ink-supplier. This solution
    is very aggressive.When we use this too often, the printerheads kind of
    melt/get weak... and printers don't work anymore.

    Is there anyone who can help us in this matter???

    We already bought about 20 printers in a short period of time... we need
    help, because the printers cost us a lot.

    For more information,

    Email

    G. V.
    Belgium

    coverman design, Oct 15, 2003

  2. coverman design

    XXXX Guest

    What kind of ink and solvent are you using?

    XXXX, Oct 15, 2003

  3. We know the inks are waterbased, we use them to print on films. The films
    are used to cover housings for cell-phones.
    That's about all we know, because the manufactor of the inks can't give us
    the details about inks. They are patented...

    Greetz.

    coverman design, Oct 15, 2003
  4. coverman design

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <3f8d0095$0$15641$>,
    says...
    > The reason for that, is that we have to print very much. The printers print
    > on a kind of plastic film and with a special kind of ink. The problem is,
    > that after short period (few days), they get stuck(the printheads are dirty)

    Epson printers are notorious for clogged printheads. Can you get the
    inks you need for Canon printers? If so, that's your best course of
    action.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Oct 15, 2003
  5. coverman design

    Birk Binnard Guest

    The inks are water-soluble when in liquid form, but when they dry they can
    form a hard crust that resists water. The solvent provided by the ink
    manufacturer is an acid which is why repeated uses destroys the printhead.

    If 1 or 2 attempts at unclogging the printhead with the solvent fail your
    only recourse is to physically replace the printhead itself.
    ---------------
    Birk Binnard
    Peninsula Software
    http://www.birkbinnard.com

    Birk Binnard, Oct 15, 2003
  6. coverman design

    XXXX Guest

    The problem is the ink.Probably does use good solvent.It's better change the
    ink.What is the company's name?Has a site?

    XXXX, Oct 15, 2003
  7. We have a website, but it's still under construction.
    http://www.covermanbox.be/homeNL.html

    coverman design, Oct 16, 2003
  8. coverman design

    Jeff Colburn Guest

    Hello,

    If you can remove the printheads to replace them, why not remove them
    when your done printing and store them in a jar of water so the ink
    won't dry. Being water based it should dissolve in the water nicely.

    Have Fun,
    Jeff

    Jeff Colburn, Oct 23, 2003
  9. coverman design

    Jeff Colburn Guest

    Hello,

    I was thinking about your descripton of the ink. Waterbased ink that
    dries into a waterproof crusty material sounds like acrylic paint. You
    may want to check with your supplier to see if this is the case. If so,
    there are products out that allow artists to remove dried acrylic paint
    from brushes with no damage to the brush. This same compound may clean
    your print heads without damaging them.

    Have Fun,
    Jeff

    Jeff Colburn, Oct 23, 2003
  10. coverman design

    Nemo Moore Guest

    Jeff Colburn <> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > I was thinking about your descripton of the ink. Waterbased ink that
    > dries into a waterproof crusty material sounds like acrylic paint.

    You
    > may want to check with your supplier to see if this is the case. If

    so,
    > there are products out that allow artists to remove dried acrylic

    paint
    > from brushes with no damage to the brush. This same compound may

    clean
    > your print heads without damaging them.
    >
    > Have Fun,
    > Jeff

    Ask Mfg for a Material Saftey Data Sheet.....

    Nemo Moore, Nov 30, 2003