EPSON Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Photo Color Printer? _ Opionions?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ignoramus19259, Aug 26, 2007.

  1. What do you think about EPSON Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Photo Color
    Printer, would you say that it could print pictures very well?

    Ignoramus19259, Aug 26, 2007

  2. Ignoramus19259

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:17:26 -0500, Ignoramus19259 wrote:

    > What do you think about EPSON Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Photo Color
    > Printer, would you say that it could print pictures very well?

    Yes. Try the Epson online store.

    ray, Aug 26, 2007

  3. Ignoramus19259

    Jim Guest

    "Ignoramus19259" <ignoramus19259@NOSPAM.19259.invalid> wrote in message
    > What do you think about EPSON Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Photo Color
    > Printer, would you say that it could print pictures very well?

    yes
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 26, 2007
  4. On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 16:38:03 -0600, ray <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:17:26 -0500, Ignoramus19259 wrote:
    >
    >> What do you think about EPSON Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Photo Color
    >> Printer, would you say that it could print pictures very well?

    > Yes. Try the Epson online store.

    Well, I buy most of my computer stuff from Newegg. Thanks. I think
    that I will buy one.

    Ignoramus19259, Aug 26, 2007
  5. Re: EPSON Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Photo Color Printer? _Opionions?

    Ignoramus19259 <ignoramus19259@NOSPAM.19259.invalid> wrote:
    >On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 16:38:03 -0600, ray <> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:17:26 -0500, Ignoramus19259 wrote:
    >>
    >>> What do you think about EPSON Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Photo Color
    >>> Printer, would you say that it could print pictures very well?

    >> Yes. Try the Epson online store.
    >>

    >Well, I buy most of my computer stuff from Newegg. Thanks. I think
    >that I will buy one.

    Use Epson ink.

    Use whatever paper you like, but don't even think about using
    cheaper ink.

    I do have paper feed problems with mine. It seems
    tempermental about feeding photo paper. For example,
    I've made several prints on one kind of paper and had to
    basically hand feed each sheet to get it to go (just the
    right amount of pressure on the top of the sheet to get
    it started, but not too much or it is sensed as a jam
    and gets fed right through). Then I've switch to a
    different paper and had that paper feed fine. And then
    switch back to the original type of paper... and it
    feeds fine. But the next time other paper is used, it
    won't feed... All very frustrating.

    With regular non-photo inkjet papers it also can be
    strange. With 11x17 24 pound paper it will feed okay
    only if there are at least 10 sheets in the bin...
    things like that.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Aug 27, 2007
  6. On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:19:41 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson <> wrote:
    > Ignoramus19259 <ignoramus19259@NOSPAM.19259.invalid> wrote:

    >>> Yes. Try the Epson online store.
    >>>

    >>Well, I buy most of my computer stuff from Newegg. Thanks. I think
    >>that I will buy one.

    > Use Epson ink.
    >
    > Use whatever paper you like, but don't even think about using
    > cheaper ink.
    >
    > I do have paper feed problems with mine. It seems
    > tempermental about feeding photo paper. For example,
    > I've made several prints on one kind of paper and had to
    > basically hand feed each sheet to get it to go (just the
    > right amount of pressure on the top of the sheet to get
    > it started, but not too much or it is sensed as a jam
    > and gets fed right through). Then I've switch to a
    > different paper and had that paper feed fine. And then
    > switch back to the original type of paper... and it
    > feeds fine. But the next time other paper is used, it
    > won't feed... All very frustrating.
    >
    > With regular non-photo inkjet papers it also can be
    > strange. With 11x17 24 pound paper it will feed okay
    > only if there are at least 10 sheets in the bin...
    > things like that.

    So, would you recommend to look for something else, or stay with this
    one? Again, this is strictly for photos and artwork and such, NOT for
    general office type printing like shipping labels.

    Ignoramus19259, Aug 27, 2007
  7. Ignoramus19259

    frederick Guest

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > Ignoramus19259 <ignoramus19259@NOSPAM.19259.invalid> wrote:

    >>> Yes. Try the Epson online store.
    >>>

    >> Well, I buy most of my computer stuff from Newegg. Thanks. I think
    >> that I will buy one.

    > Use Epson ink.
    >
    > Use whatever paper you like, but don't even think about using
    > cheaper ink.
    >
    > I do have paper feed problems with mine. It seems
    > tempermental about feeding photo paper. For example,
    > I've made several prints on one kind of paper and had to
    > basically hand feed each sheet to get it to go (just the
    > right amount of pressure on the top of the sheet to get
    > it started, but not too much or it is sensed as a jam
    > and gets fed right through). Then I've switch to a
    > different paper and had that paper feed fine. And then
    > switch back to the original type of paper... and it
    > feeds fine. But the next time other paper is used, it
    > won't feed... All very frustrating.
    >
    > With regular non-photo inkjet papers it also can be
    > strange. With 11x17 24 pound paper it will feed okay
    > only if there are at least 10 sheets in the bin...
    > things like that.

    Have you tried cleaning the paper feed roller?
    I can post instructions if you like.

    frederick, Aug 27, 2007
  8. Ignoramus19259

    frederick Guest

    Ignoramus19259 wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:19:41 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson <> wrote:
    >> Ignoramus19259 <ignoramus19259@NOSPAM.19259.invalid> wrote:

    >>> Well, I buy most of my computer stuff from Newegg. Thanks. I think
    >>> that I will buy one.

    >> Use Epson ink.
    >>
    >> Use whatever paper you like, but don't even think about using
    >> cheaper ink.
    >>
    >> I do have paper feed problems with mine. It seems
    >> tempermental about feeding photo paper. For example,
    >> I've made several prints on one kind of paper and had to
    >> basically hand feed each sheet to get it to go (just the
    >> right amount of pressure on the top of the sheet to get
    >> it started, but not too much or it is sensed as a jam
    >> and gets fed right through). Then I've switch to a
    >> different paper and had that paper feed fine. And then
    >> switch back to the original type of paper... and it
    >> feeds fine. But the next time other paper is used, it
    >> won't feed... All very frustrating.
    >>
    >> With regular non-photo inkjet papers it also can be
    >> strange. With 11x17 24 pound paper it will feed okay
    >> only if there are at least 10 sheets in the bin...
    >> things like that.
    >>

    > So, would you recommend to look for something else, or stay with this
    > one? Again, this is strictly for photos and artwork and such, NOT for
    > general office type printing like shipping labels.

    There's only a few other options in that size of archival
    pigment printer. Canon Pixma Pro 9500, HP B9180, and Epson
    R2400. None offer any significant advantage over the R1800,
    except better (more neutral) monochrome printing. None
    however have the gloss optimiser that the R1800 does.
    OTOH, if you were planning to print larger volumes and have
    the space for it, larger 17" width models (R3800/4880 -
    Canon iP5000) may be more economical in the long run.

    frederick, Aug 27, 2007
  9. Ignoramus19259

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    Ignoramus19259 <ignoramus19259@NOSPAM.19259.invalid> wrote:

    > What do you think about EPSON Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Photo Color
    > Printer, would you say that it could print pictures very well?

    I have an Epson R1800 and I get great results when I print photos on it.

    Shawn Hirn, Aug 27, 2007
  10. Re: EPSON Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Photo Color Printer? _Opionions?

    Ignoramus19259 <ignoramus19259@NOSPAM.19259.invalid> wrote:

    >So, would you recommend to look for something else, or stay with this
    >one? Again, this is strictly for photos and artwork and such, NOT for
    >general office type printing like shipping labels.

    I think fredrick nailed it on that one.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Aug 27, 2007
  11. Re: EPSON Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Photo Color Printer? _Opionions?

    frederick <> wrote:

    >Have you tried cleaning the paper feed roller?
    >I can post instructions if you like.

    I have a maintenance manual here somewhere, but it must
    be buried in a box or hiding under something.

    I've tried cleaning it, but I would still be very
    interested in whatever instructions you have. Even if
    it's what I have, I might read it differently... ;-)

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Aug 27, 2007
  12. Ignoramus19259

    babaloo Guest

    For photo printing only. Great at what it does.
    Have to be scrupulous about checking nozzles for clogs.
    Have to use Epson ink.
    Better for color than B&W though good for latter.
    New Epson dye based replacement for 1280 does not need gloss optimizer:
    check it out before you buy.

    babaloo, Aug 27, 2007
  13. Ignoramus19259

    frederick Guest

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > frederick <> wrote:
    >> Have you tried cleaning the paper feed roller?
    >> I can post instructions if you like.

    > I have a maintenance manual here somewhere, but it must
    > be buried in a box or hiding under something.
    >
    > I've tried cleaning it, but I would still be very
    > interested in whatever instructions you have. Even if
    > it's what I have, I might read it differently... ;-)

    Page from the service manual:
    http://i12.tinypic.com/54n18k8.jpg

    frederick, Aug 27, 2007
  14. Ignoramus19259

    liversb Guest

    I do quite a lot of photo printing - I would suggest so long as you
    stay with the main named brands (Canon, Epson & HP) they are all in
    the game. The important thing is, when its important, to use brand ink
    and brand paper to ensure longivity of output - the cheaper options
    are fine for testing and fooling about, but its not great to give
    (sell) a nice print to someone and then after a few weeks it starts to
    fade. A good cheap source of the right material is important - I
    probably spend 4-8 times the cost of the printer per year on supplies.
    Also you should plan to spend some effort on learning how to get the
    best prints - my personal best source is luminous-landscape.com. Also
    I find that 6x8 are cheaper to get printed online - you saves your
    money on the 8x10 sizes and bigger. - my two cents worth!

    liversb, Aug 27, 2007
  15. Ignoramus19259

    codey45 Guest

    On Aug 27, 4:35 am, liversb <> wrote:
    > I do quite a lot of photo printing - I would suggest so long as you
    > stay with the main named brands (Canon, Epson & HP) they are all in
    > the game. The important thing is, when its important, to use brand ink
    > and brand paper to ensure longivity of output - the cheaper options
    > are fine for testing and fooling about, but its not great to give
    > (sell) a nice print to someone and then after a few weeks it starts to
    > fade. A good cheap source of the right material is important - I
    > probably spend 4-8 times the cost of the printer per year on supplies.
    > Also you should plan to spend some effort on learning how to get the
    > best prints - my personal best source is luminous-landscape.com. Also
    > I find that 6x8 are cheaper to get printed online - you saves your
    > money on the 8x10 sizes and bigger. - my two cents worth!

    test

    codey45, Aug 27, 2007
  16. Thanks, Frederick and others. I bought this printer. I will get it in
    a few days.

    Ignoramus19946, Aug 27, 2007
  17. Ignoramus19259

    measekite Guest

    Ignoramus19259 wrote:
    > What do you think about EPSON Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Photo Color
    > Printer, would you say that it could print pictures very well?

    It is a great printer but it uses pigmented ink and does have a tendancy
    to clog it underused. But the Canon Pro 9000 will produce better more
    vibrant prints that look better. But is may begin to fade after 30
    years while the Epson will go twice as long.

    measekite, Aug 28, 2007
  18. Ignoramus19259

    measekite Guest

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    Ignoramus19259 &lt;ignoramus19259@NOSPAM.19259.invalid&gt; wrote:

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 16:38:03 -0600, ray &lt;&gt; wrote:

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:17:26 -0500, Ignoramus19259 wrote:

    What do you think about EPSON Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Photo Color Printer, would you say that it could print pictures very well? i

    Yes. Try the Epson online store.

    Well, I buy most of my computer stuff from Newegg. Thanks. I think that I will buy one.

    Use Epson ink. Use whatever paper you like, but don't even think about using cheaper ink.

    ABSOLUTELY.&nbsp; THE CRAP INK FADES AND WILL CLOG YOUR PRINTER.&nbsp;&nbsp;

    measekite, Aug 28, 2007
  19. Ignoramus19259

    measekite Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > Ignoramus19259 wrote:
    >> On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:19:41 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Use Epson ink.
    >>>
    >>> Use whatever paper you like, but don't even think about using
    >>> cheaper ink.
    >>>
    >>> I do have paper feed problems with mine. It seems
    >>> tempermental about feeding photo paper. For example,
    >>> I've made several prints on one kind of paper and had to
    >>> basically hand feed each sheet to get it to go (just the
    >>> right amount of pressure on the top of the sheet to get
    >>> it started, but not too much or it is sensed as a jam
    >>> and gets fed right through). Then I've switch to a
    >>> different paper and had that paper feed fine. And then
    >>> switch back to the original type of paper... and it
    >>> feeds fine. But the next time other paper is used, it
    >>> won't feed... All very frustrating.
    >>>
    >>> With regular non-photo inkjet papers it also can be
    >>> strange. With 11x17 24 pound paper it will feed okay
    >>> only if there are at least 10 sheets in the bin...
    >>> things like that.
    >>>

    >> So, would you recommend to look for something else, or stay with this
    >> one? Again, this is strictly for photos and artwork and such, NOT for
    >> general office type printing like shipping labels.

    > There's only a few other options in that size of archival pigment
    > printer. Canon Pixma Pro 9500, HP B9180, and Epson R2400. None offer
    > any significant advantage over the R1800, except better (more neutral)
    > monochrome printing. None however have the gloss optimiser that the
    > R1800 does.
    > OTOH, if you were planning to print larger volumes and have the space
    > for it, larger 17" width models (R3800/4880 - Canon iP5000) may be
    > more economical in the long run.

    While the Canon 5000 produces the very best prints I have read about a
    lot of problems with that model and that Canon does not stand behind
    those problems very well. The Epson 3800 may be the best but while it
    hold 9 carts it only has 8 channels so you need to purge and waste ink
    when you go from BW to Color and Back. Over $5.00 a trip.

    measekite, Aug 28, 2007
  20. Ignoramus19259

    measekite Guest

    liversb wrote:
    > I do quite a lot of photo printing - I would suggest so long as you
    > stay with the main named brands (Canon, Epson & HP) they are all in
    > the game. The important thing is, when its important, to use brand ink
    > and brand paper to ensure longivity of output

    Absolutely. On my Canon Pixma printer I have used Costco/Ilford Glossy
    and Epson Heaveyweight Matte using only Canon ink and had great
    results. The Costco glossy was almost as good as the 5 times more
    expensive Canon Photo Paper Pro.

    measekite, Aug 28, 2007