Epson Stylus Photo 825 or 925?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MS, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. MS

    MS Guest

    How are these printers for photos, compared with others on the market right
    now? And how about if used also as a general purpose printer? Any
    comparative reviews of current photo printer models available to read
    online, covering several models, including these two?

    I just got a new digital camera (Pentax Optio S), and it comes with a $75
    rebate coupon for one of those Epson printers, if one has bought both
    products (camera and printer) within a certain time frame.

    My current printer (HP 722C) is working fine, so I wasn't actually thinking
    of replacing it yet. It is a few years old, though, so not the greatest for
    photos, as there have been advances in photo printing since then. But with
    this rebate available, perhaps I should get a new printer now. I've seen the
    825 priced at a little more than $100, so with the rebate, it would be
    pretty cheap. The $925 costs considerably more, I don't know if it's that
    much better.

    I did find one review of these in PC World, and it said they are very good
    for photos, but not so good for text. Also, that the cost of ink cartridges
    is very high. (I assume that all photo printers are expensive in using ink.
    Are these models worse than others?) (A lot of the cost of the use of a
    printer over time is the ink cost, much more so than the original purchase
    price. So, I guess that needs to be taken into consideration.) I guess I
    could keep my HP to still use as an all-purpose general printer, and only
    use the Epson for photos. But I don't have a lot of space, and it would be
    simpler to use one printer for everything at home.

    Curious to hear more opinions on these printers, find out about more
    reviews, how they compare with others, etc. Thank you.
    MS, Aug 6, 2003

  2. MS

    Jimmy Guest

    " MS" <> wrote in message news:...
    > How are these printers for photos, compared with others on the market right
    > now? And how about if used also as a general purpose printer? Any
    > comparative reviews of current photo printer models available to read
    > online, covering several models, including these two?
    >
    > I just got a new digital camera (Pentax Optio S), and it comes with a $75
    > rebate coupon for one of those Epson printers, if one has bought both
    > products (camera and printer) within a certain time frame.
    >
    > My current printer (HP 722C) is working fine, so I wasn't actually thinking
    > of replacing it yet. It is a few years old, though, so not the greatest for
    > photos, as there have been advances in photo printing since then. But with
    > this rebate available, perhaps I should get a new printer now. I've seen the
    > 825 priced at a little more than $100, so with the rebate, it would be
    > pretty cheap. The $925 costs considerably more, I don't know if it's that
    > much better.
    >
    > I did find one review of these in PC World, and it said they are very good
    > for photos, but not so good for text. Also, that the cost of ink cartridges
    > is very high. (I assume that all photo printers are expensive in using ink.
    > Are these models worse than others?) (A lot of the cost of the use of a
    > printer over time is the ink cost, much more so than the original purchase
    > price. So, I guess that needs to be taken into consideration.) I guess I
    > could keep my HP to still use as an all-purpose general printer, and only
    > use the Epson for photos. But I don't have a lot of space, and it would be
    > simpler to use one printer for everything at home.
    >
    > Curious to hear more opinions on these printers, find out about more
    > reviews, how they compare with others, etc. Thank you.

    Cartridges are a bit high for my 925, but I go through a bit of ink just trying to unclog the print
    heads. I have a Photo EX that hasn't been as much trouble as the 925. The paper roll is okay if
    you like prints that curl up (even after following Epson's directions). Overall, the color is good,
    but I don't think it is worth the extra I paid over the 825. Have you looked at the Photo 900?
    Jimmy, Aug 7, 2003