    Does anyone know the estimated printing cost for the epson stylus 3800?

    I found the cost of paper on the web site, and the cost of ink cartridge.
    But there is no info on how many pages the ink could print.

    peter, Jun 10, 2007

  2. peter

    Matt Jones Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:50:58 +0000, peter wrote:

    > Does anyone know the estimated printing cost for the epson stylus 3800?
    >
    > I found the cost of paper on the web site, and the cost of ink
    > cartridge. But there is no info on how many pages the ink could print.

    The question 'How long is a piece of string?' would probably result in
    more sensible answers than the question you're asking here.

    There are many variables, including:
    * The image resolution you're printing at
    * Countless other printing options that determine how much ink is used
    * Where you buy ink and paper from. You don't have to buy Epson Ink or
    Epson paper as there are many cheaper alternatives.

    Therefore, I don't think your question is easily answered.

    Matt

    Matt Jones, Jun 10, 2007

  3. peter

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:50:58 +0000, peter wrote:

    > Does anyone know the estimated printing cost for the epson stylus 3800?
    >
    > I found the cost of paper on the web site, and the cost of ink cartridge.
    > But there is no info on how many pages the ink could print.

    FWIW Kodak claims the cost of consummables on their new all-in-one units
    is about one half of what it is for the competition.

    ray, Jun 11, 2007
  4. peter

    if Guest

    "peter" <> wrote:

    > Does anyone know the estimated printing cost for the epson stylus 3800?
    >
    > I found the cost of paper on the web site, and the cost of ink cartridge.
    > But there is no info on how many pages the ink could print.

    There was a test by some mag, PC Pro I think, which showed that in most
    printers about half the ink is wasted in cleaning cycles as the heads are
    primed and flushed each time you turn the printer on and off. They
    recommended you save up all your print jobs to the end of the month and
    print everything at once, this way you will get twice as many prints per
    cartridge as you would if you printed them one by one.

    I've certainly noticed that my Canon printer flushes its head after about 1
    minute of inactivity and then takes a little while to get going again, so I
    suspect they are right, you need to queue up a bunch of images and feed
    them continuously to the printer to stop it getting the opportunity to
    waste some ink by squirting it into the waste ink sponge, which seems to be
    a favourite pasttime of most makes of printer in my experience.

    Saving your print jobs to the end of the month is a bit extreme, but I do
    now try and save them to the end of a working session if possible then do
    them all at once instead of doing them one at a time over the space of an
    hour or two, during which time the printer would have been flushing and
    parking its heads between each print.

    if, Jun 12, 2007
  5. peter

    frederick Guest

    peter wrote:
    > Does anyone know the estimated printing cost for the epson stylus 3800?
    >
    > I found the cost of paper on the web site, and the cost of ink cartridge.
    > But there is no info on how many pages the ink could print.

    As a "rule of thumb" - and no more than that - I think you'll find that
    ink use for photo printing with Epson pigment printers averages out at
    about 1ml (combined) per square foot printed.
    Yes, as other's have pointed out ink gets wasted for cleaning & flushing
    and switching between matte and gloss media with current K3 printers.
    One magazine tested this on an Epson printer by removing a set of
    cartridges from the printer every day, weighing them, and replacing
    them, apparently unaware that the printer would flush ink automatically
    because of what they did, and unsurprisingly, they also created a
    situation where the printer suffered numerous blockages. They developed
    the test methodology with the help of Spencer Lab who do technical work
    preparing marketing material for HP - their only apparent client at the
    time.

    frederick, Jun 12, 2007
  6. peter

    Jim Guest

    On 2007-06-10 11:50:58 -0400, "peter" <> said:

    > Does anyone know the estimated printing cost for the epson stylus 3800?
    >
    > I found the cost of paper on the web site, and the cost of ink cartridge.
    > But there is no info on how many pages the ink could print.

    If you are worried about the cost, it is probably cheaper to take the
    images to a photostore and have them do it. I don't skimp on my
    cameras (D70s, N90s, F). my lenses, flash, tripods., computer (Mac) or
    software (Photoshop and Extensis). I don't skimp on my supplies
    either, as they are just as important as the rest of it. I use Ilford
    paper, Epson Ink (that is what the ICC profiles are designed for).
    Cartridges and paper are still much cheaper than wet chemistry was a
    decade ago and not that much more than color chemistry was 30 years ago.
    --
    Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo

    Jim, Jun 12, 2007
  7. peter

    John Turco Guest

    On Jun 12, 3:30 pm, frederick <> wrote:
    > peter wrote:
    > > Does anyone know the estimatedprintingcostfor theepsonstylus3800?

    > > I found thecostof paper on the web site, and thecostof ink cartridge.
    > > But there is no info on how many pages the ink could print.

    > As a "rule of thumb" - and no more than that - I think you'll find that
    > ink use for photoprintingwithEpsonpigment printers averages out at
    > about 1ml (combined) per square foot printed.
    > Yes, as other's have pointed out ink gets wasted for cleaning & flushing
    > and switching between matte and gloss media with current K3 printers.
    > One magazine tested this on anEpsonprinter by removing a set of
    > cartridges from the printer every day, weighing them, and replacing
    > them, apparently unaware that the printer would flush ink automatically
    > because of what they did, and unsurprisingly, they also created a
    > situation where the printer suffered numerous blockages. They developed
    > the test methodology with the help of Spencer Lab who do technical work
    > preparing marketing material for HP - their only apparent client at the
    > time.

    Hello, Frederick:

    I believe Hewlett-Packard printers reuse the ink, instead of dumping
    it, into waste pads. That's why their cartridges can yield nearly as
    many pages, as those of the main competition (Canon and Epson),
    despite being somewhat littler.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jun 23, 2007